Questions about flying 3 year old to Italy -

Lady_Gamecock

Baby_G, DH, and I have cruised numerous times, so I'm not too concerned about the cruising aspect....but we've never flown Internationally with her before.

Does Baby_G have to be in a carseat/booster to fly Internationally? Also, will she need a carseat/booster once we arrive in Italy? I am unsure what their carseat (if any) rules are.

We plan to bring numerous activities to help keep her entertained (she has a DVD player / a Tad Pen / Mommy's iPod / Crayola Markers that only work on Crayola Paper / etc) but I need to know what else I should expect while flying. Of course her baby doll, blankie, and snacks will also accompany her, as will her "Pops" (DH's father) so I'm sure she'll be entertained! :)

Thanks for any and all help!

Lady & Baby_G

I have never flown internationally either with my kids, but have done some longer flights. When they were that little, I always brought a carseat on the plane... I can't say I kept them in it the whole time, but I think kids expecially in the US are so used to their car seats - they know they can't get out of them. We would use the car seat when I know they needed to sleep or honestly when I needed them off my lap just for minute. The great thing was - I would strap them in and they kind of related it to being in a car... they didn't try to get out and they could sleep ( especially if you use one that has sides)in it. So, I would definately bring their carseat - the one they are used to - so they can rest when needed... I knwo this doesn't answer all your questions, but I think the carseat would help on a long flight.

Boosters cannot be used on airplanes. My ds3 sits in his own seat without a carseat and knows how to buckle and keep it on. I'm sure that in a carseat, he would be right up against the tray table and bothering the person in front.

We've flown internationally with our DD (now 13!) since she was an infant. We also travel with my BIL and his family (which includes little ones).

It sounds like you have a lot of the "entertainment" stuff covered. Some international flights have individual entertainment systems incorporated into the headrests of the seats in front of you -- NW at least has lots of G rated movies and stuff, so you can spare pulling out the DVD player. Watch what snacks you bring -- they must be in their original packaging and must not be liquid (the whole 4oz in a zipper lock baggie thing). You may want to pack some snacks in your carryon for the way back -- at least a few "comfortable" things because European snack options are different than what your DD may be used to. No fresh fruit or vegetables. (Also carry her favorite motion sickness remedy -- you may hit some extra turbulence)

Big thing is to make certain that she knows what to expect with security and customs and the like. Lots of kids get intimidated by all that. Be certain she is wearing slip on/slip off shoes, a comfortable outfit without metal. If she likes to carry a special stuffed friend (does that have an abbreviation SSF? :)) - be certain she knows that SSF needs to ride in the plastic bucket through the machine at the security check points and that she will most likely not be able to carry SSF through with her. Most of the security and customs folks are incredibly nice with the kids, but you can get the occassional "mean" one and quite honestly the whole process can be rather intimidating even with nice people. (we just flew internationally through MPLS-STPL airport on the US side and those folks were SO nice and, while professional, very easy to deal with. kuddos to the twinkie cities!)

We've flown internationally with our DD (now 13!) since she was an infant. We also travel with my BIL and his family (which includes little ones).

It sounds like you have a lot of the "entertainment" stuff covered. Some international flights have individual entertainment systems incorporated into the headrests of the seats in front of you -- NW at least has lots of G rated movies and stuff, so you can spare pulling out the DVD player. Watch what snacks you bring -- they must be in their original packaging and must not be liquid (the whole 4oz in a zipper lock baggie thing). You may want to pack some snacks in your carryon for the way back -- at least a few "comfortable" things because European snack options are different than what your DD may be used to. No fresh fruit or vegetables. (Also carry her favorite motion sickness remedy -- you may hit some extra turbulence)

Big thing is to make certain that she knows what to expect with security and customs and the like. Lots of kids get intimidated by all that. Be certain she is wearing slip on/slip off shoes, a comfortable outfit without metal. If she likes to carry a special stuffed friend (does that have an abbreviation SSF? :)) - be certain she knows that SSF needs to ride in the plastic bucket through the machine at the security check points and that she will most likely not be able to carry SSF through with her. Most of the security and customs folks are incredibly nice with the kids, but you can get the occassional "mean" one and quite honestly the whole process can be rather intimidating even with nice people. (we just flew internationally through MPLS-STPL airport on the US side and those folks were SO nice and, while professional, very easy to deal with. kuddos to the twinkie cities!)

Thank you so much for your input. Yes, Baby_G's SSF will be following us, along with her blankie will have some major miles on it because we carry them everywhere. :p

The easy on/off shoes are a great idea (Crocs) and non-Metalic clothing are the route to take!!

Baby_G is accustomed to flying and she has been OK going thru Security, but she does have a meltdown each time we board a cruise for some reason.....

We haven't procurred our plane tickets yet, so hopefully we will have the entertainment modules!!!

Thank you so much for your input. Yes, Baby_G's SSF will be following us, along with her blankie will have some major miles on it because we carry them everywhere. :p

The easy on/off shoes are a great idea (Crocs) and non-Metalic clothing are the route to take!!

Baby_G is accustomed to flying and she has been OK going thru Security, but she does have a meltdown each time we board a cruise for some reason.....

We haven't procurred our plane tickets yet, so hopefully we will have the entertainment modules!!!

Be sure to sign up Baby_G for the frequent flyer club on whatever airline you choose, so she earns mileage for this trip, if you haven't already.

No boosters is correct. If you bring a carseat, be sure it is FAA approved and check your airline's webpage for their requirements for carseats.

Please make sure she has headphones for the DVD player and is used to wearing them!

I have flown to Europe with my son when he was nearly 3 and it worked out fine. The overnight flight really isn't much of an issue for them. they will sleep. You might not but that's another story.

As for flying internationally. Try if possible not to have a connecting flight because your child may be asleep when it is time to switch planes and then get a second wind on the next flight.

I didn't bring anything but an umbrella stroller and there was no problem with taxis, etc.

I have flown internationally with all 3 of my kids since they were babies.All flights 10+ hours.

Tips and comments:

All 3 of my kids are extremely different personality -wise. I have a quiet "bookworm" , a social butterfly and Mr. Energizer Bunny (my 4 year old).

All of them do surprisingly well on flights ... and so do most of the other kids I see on very long flights.So , don´t fret too much. I am sure your DD will do well.

Book a night flight.....very important!!!Most of the flight , the kids will be asleep!

I have never taken a car seat on the plane....way too complicated and bulky. I traveled in Italy last year and it was one of the hugest and slowest security line I have been in-imagine managing a car seat.Ugh.

I think you have planned well as far as snacks (bring plenty!) and things to do. I always fill a little backpack for each with cool surprises that they can only open on the plane.Sticker books are a favorite.

All the kids love the movies and headphones.

As I said , you will probably have a pleasant surprise-flying isn´t too bad!( and we have been on trips that lasted 21 hrs from our house to destination hotel!)

Good luck.

Kim

Have you ever heard of the sit'n'stroll? It's a stroller that becomes a car seat. I saw a someone in the airport in FLL in November with one and he showed me how it works. He said it's very convenient and is FAA approved. Just another option.

http://www.sitnstroll.com/

here's another link with the same product

http://www.safelinekids.com/skprodsns.asp

Have you ever heard of the sit'n'stroll? It's a stroller that becomes a car seat. I saw a someone in the airport in FLL in November with one and he showed me how it works. He said it's very convenient and is FAA approved. Just another option.

http://www.sitnstroll.com/

here's another link with the same product

http://www.safelinekids.com/skprodsns.asp

I would LOVE to get that stroller, but, Baby_G will be too heavy for it in about four months. Even though she's only 2.5 yrs old, she's already 3' 6"! (DH and I are both over 6'2"+.)

Lady & Baby_G

I would LOVE to get that stroller, but, Baby_G will be too heavy for it in about four months. Even though she's only 2.5 yrs old, she's already 3' 6"! (DH and I are both over 6'2"+.)

Lady & Baby_G

It sounds like you're going to have a little basketball player on your hands (I'm barely 5'3...I bet that by the time she's 7 or 8 she'll be taller than me lol). Good luck with your trip!

I learned many things reading this thread - about boosters - and maybe it was me who needed the carseats not my kids - oh well .... luckily all but one of my 5 kids are out of carseats/boosters..... and there is no way i can affors any international flights right now with 5 kids ... we are just making flying them all to Miami for our cruise this summer!

So my carseat suggestion - not good - but do have another (hopefully better than the car seat!) We always carried DVD players or laptops etc for the kids to watch movies then last Christmas got each of the kids an IPOD - the little one - it has been great. I literally can fit 5 IPODS in my small purse!..... Each IPOD has about 3 movies, songs, games, and stories for some.... They work great when stuck in traffic, flights, long wait at the doctors.... well worth the investment. I especially like them as each kids can watch what they want...If they don't like their movies that are loaded then they exchange with a sibling....They are pretty durable too.. I purchased these solid plastic covers for each so even the little ones can't "mess" with them... just a thought - as we have done away with the DVD's and laptops on trips...Our youngest was 4 when we started using them.

Have a safe trip!

I fly between Europe and California about twice a year with my three children. All but one time we've brought a car seat. I strap it to a small, metal luggage cart and I manage just fine, alone with my three. It's not complicated at all. I skip the stroller and she just rides in that if she's tired. I can also use the car seat contraption to haul the carry-ons.

To make it simplier, fly non-stop. You can't really pick the schedule because most transatlantics are night flights over, day flights back. You can't opt for night flights both directions.

The Sit-n-Stroll was great but it is outgrown early because of the low shoulder strap holes. Most kids outgrown seats by height, not weight. She was in the Scenera six months more (another seat that goes to 40lbs.) Scenera's are cheap, light and easy to take on flights.

I'm a former Flight Attendant and if you bring a FAA approved car seat on a U.S. company and your child has a seat (which she has to at that age) then it's your right to use it onboard. Most U.S. seats are FAA approved. European rules are not consistant. Some allow U.S. seats, some don't. Some don't notice/care. An adult seatbelt doesn't hold a toddler very well but a car seat is never required.

I wrote an article on flying with children in 2000 that I expanded, put on a blog and added tips from other parents. It's non-commercial;

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

It was also featured last month on the Expat Women website;

http://www.expatwomen.com/mothers/flying_with_children.php

Please, please, please don't move Baby G to a booster yet in the car! She is much safer in a 5 point harness. Because of her larger size, you may want to look into higher harnessed seats like the Radian or one of the Britax's. Three year olds have been killed and badly injured in accidents and it could have been lessened or avoided if they had been in a 5 point seat.

This is an organization established after these parents lost a 3 year old who was in a booster seat (his 5 year old sister in the same seat survived).

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.html

Here's a video to convince you;

On a personal note, I made the same mistake with my first two. Here in Europe, they don't sell higher harnessed seats. My almost 5 year old is in a Radian65 bought in the U.S. Not only is she more comfortable but it's actually easier to strap her in. I don't have to lean across her to attach the seat belt like I did with the boosters.

She likes the Radian because she can more easily watch the movie (when there aren't individual screens).

I was in a car accident with just her, well strapped into her harnessed seat, she thought it was "fun". Clueless to the situation, she asked me to "do it again!"

So get a 5 point harness and bring it with you on the flight. I promise it's not that big a deal!

Sharon - your blog is great, but still has a glaring error, one with which I have much personal experience. You state:

When the other parent signs the passport documents, this is giving the other parent permission to travel with the child.

This is totally not true. By signing the passport application, the other parent is merely giving permission for the child to obtain a passport. They are not giving permission for the child to travel out-of-the country!

It is possible for one parent flying solo with the child to never be asked for a notarized letter giving this permission by the other parent, especially for European travel. But, I guarantee you will be asked for it if you are traveling to many countries, such as Mexico or often South America or the middle east.

Better safe than sorry. I always travel with a notorized letter from my ex and a copy of our custody agreement, which says that I have physical custody of my child.

And they do ask twice if you are traveling to Canada- once at check-in and then you have to bring it again when you get off the ship and set foot in Canada.

If Grandparents intend to take their child out of the country and the child is younger than 13- then you need a notorized letter from both parents.

Archived