Anyone have hotel recommendations for Amsterdam???

webfoot

We are planning to be in Amsterdam for a night or two prior to our cruise and really don't know any of the hotels in Amsterdam ... I have used www.venere.com which has lots of suggestions, but as we don't know Amsterdam at all, not sure where to look. I have done a search on the forum and found lots of discussion on Amsterdam but nothing specifically to hotel recommendations. :)

We would like a place close to the museums ... and not too expensive ... just a good clean room.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

we are doing a 3-night post cruise in amsterdam; staying at the hilton;it was highly recomended! enjoy.

we are doing a 3-night post cruise in amsterdam; staying at the hilton;it was highly recomended! enjoy.

Google- Museum Square Amsterdam- I think it is too far from Dam Square to walk, but close to Van Gogh Museum. Trams in Amsterdam are easy to use.

Anything closer to Dam Square is going to be more expensive.

We stayed at the Grand (Sofeteil) where Queen Beatrice was married. It has a good proximity (walking) to everything, but it is expensive.

Looking to stay at the RHO hotel (***)near Anne Frank house, but not booked yet.

I think I am going to be overwhelmed by so much to see in Amsterdam. With having close to three days to visit, I'll probably only touch the surface.

I've only been once. Anne Frank house had too long a line. I have heard that if you know when you are going you can book it online and not have to stand in line. We go again in April at end of Amadeus Symphony.

• 2 weeks later...

Ambassade hotel was where we stayed in Amsterdam and we loved it. The reason: it isn't your normal, tourist hotel. This hotel was made from converting about 10 row houses into the hotel. The rooms are not typical. They are more like what you would find in a boutique type hotel. So interesting and out of the norm. It is right on the canal. Watching the nightlife was great.

Two blocks down and one block over is the Luxembourg (sp) restaurant on Leise street. It is not a tourist stop but rather where you will see a cross section of the locals. The food, especially the sampler platter, was excellent.

Plus being on the canal you can hop one of the canal hoppers and go wherever you desire.

I saw the post on Anne Frank. No lines at 7pm ever but get tickets ahead of time and check closings for seasonal changes. About quarter till closing they are basically closed and will NOT wait for you. It's get out and that's that.

I loved Amsterdam and the cruise. We easily got a taxi to the boat BUT BE AWARE, most taxi drivers are waiting to rip you off. Ask at the hotel who to use and make sure they tell you ahead of time what it will be. Verify with the hotel that that is a fair price. Ripping off tourists this way is a national sport but even the locals hate the taxi drivers.

Have fun.

Thanks for the really neat hotel suggestion ... I just looked at it and it looks like a great place to stay ... unfortunately, they do not have any rooms for when we will be there ... darn ...

I know all about those taxi drivers in Amsterdam ... last year we had one take three of us from the airport to the ship and it cost us 85 euros .. with the exchange rate at that time ... $131.75 .. thank goodness Avalon reimbursed us for it as we had paid for transfers ...

We found that the same recommendations for taxis is highly recommended in Budapest also. We went to the local tourist office and they booked us a taxi to the airport at about 1/2 the rate of a taxi driver on the street.

Also, thanks for the restaurant recommendation. We are looking forward to this trip very much ... this will be our third time in Amsterdam and maybe this time we will actually get to see the city!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Webfoot - I am wondering if you have been able to confirm that the renovations are over. I have been reading another travel site and they say the renovation noise was terrible. The Marriott reservationist told me there were no "alerts" on their computer about renovations but I am not so sure. The Marriott web site says the Club Lounge is closed and I am wondering why.

Ine - possibly you could give them a call and find out if the renovations are over. I plan to stay there the end of April if they are back to normal. Thanks very much for any info.

I am currently staying at a Marriott hotel ... they may be able to give me contact information at Marriott HQ so that I can check ... but as long as I have a room to sleep in that's all I need ... I have been in several Marriott hotels while they were under renovation and they set aside a portion of the hotel that is not being worked on so that they can continue to have guests and generate income ...

Thanks for the heads up.

Archived