Anyone have hotel recommendations for Amsterdam???

webfoot

We are planning to be in Amsterdam for a night or two prior to our cruise and really don't know any of the hotels in Amsterdam ... I have used www.venere.com which has lots of suggestions, but as we don't know Amsterdam at all, not sure where to look. I have done a search on the forum and found lots of discussion on Amsterdam but nothing specifically to hotel recommendations. :)

We would like a place close to the museums ... and not too expensive ... just a good clean room.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Since Amsterdam isnot that big as many USA cities, and also has excellent public transportation (bus, tram, metro), nothing is that far apart.

Maybe you can check Tripadvisor for reviews etc.

If you need more help let me know

There is a Mariott Hotel (near Leidseplein ) and there is a Reanaissance Hotel near Centraal Station. So know which hotel you are booked in.

Sorry WebFoot--My comments pertained to the Marriott in Leidsplan. Didn't realize there was a Ren. too. I am sure it is just as wonderful as the one we stayed in. Enjoy!

If you have not been to Amsterdam before be sure to go to the Anne Frank house. Very moving. Also, great musuems, canal cruise, flower market etc. Lots to do in Ams.

micked10

We went on the Avalon Magnificent Europe cruise last year from Amsterdam to Budapest ... however, our flight was delayed due to weather and we got to Amsterdam just in time to get on the ship and head to Cologne. That's why we are going a day early this time. We board the ship on Sunday and have most of Monday to tour also. So, I am really looking forward to this. Our first trip to Amsterdam was just through the airport, and then last years adventure with seeing nothing but the airport and the ship terminal ... so, this is the 3rd time ... and supposedly the third time is a charm.

We chose this hotel as it was near the train station ... we saw it from our ship last year and liked how it looks.

Thanks so much for your suggestions ... there is so much we want to see ...

When we were on our cruise the first day and night we were docked in Amsterdam. Our Cruise Director took us on a tour of the Red Light District. It is very interesting and an easy walk from the place where the ships are docked. We left the ship after dinner, around 9:00, walked over ( about 5 to 10 mins walk) and he explained everything to us. Very informative. The tour, which was complimentary, lasted about an hour to 1 1/2 hours. If this is offered be sure to do it, if not try to go to the District with a small group of fellow passengers.

We, also, flew in 2 days early and did the canal cruise, several museums, Anne Frank house, flower market and just enjoyed walking around. It is a very walkable city.

micked10

Webfoot, you are more or less at walking distance from Ann Frankhouse. But if you intend to visit it, make on-line reservations. In season there can be long lines, and this way you can skip it. There is a special entrance for people holding reservations. http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=1&setlanguage=2

The nicest way to see the town is to make a canal-cruise. In general they last about 1 hour and cost about E. 8.- p.p. Opposite Centraal Station (again close to your hotel) you will find various operators.

The Renaissance has a nice convention area situated in an old church opposite the hotel, called Koepelkerk. If you have a chance take a look inside.

Thank you so much for your insight ... we definitely want to see the Anne Frank house ... we do get a canal tour with our cruise package, so we may skip that .. but I do want to see some of the museums also.

Rijksmuseum and Van Goghmuseum are neighbours on Museumplein.

It is a rather long walk, but from the street near your hotel (Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal) there are trams going that direction.

Rijksmuseum is still under renovation, but most major paintings etc. are together in the annex, which makes a visit very easy.

Webfoot,

We stayed at the Ren. 4 summers ago---lovely, large immaculate room and bathroom. We never ate in the hotel--always brought in pastries from a small shop around the corner towards Central Station. There is a cafe attached to the hotel and the food there is really good. There is also a "restaurant row" across the street. Had 2 or 3 dinners and enjoyed them. The tram system is wondeful and easy to use. After the VanCogh museum, we ate lunch in the cafeteria--nice lunch. After the Rijsmuseum, we ate a wanderful cafe not far and at the corner of a pedestrian street. Am sure Ine can tell you the name of the street--rather upscale but delightful. Pat

We stayed at the Renaissance in November.

Major renovations going on to the ground floor.

Make sure you get a room as high as possible to avoid the early morning noise.

Nice hotel and great cafe next door.

Enjoy your stay.

'We came back to the hotel for rest and later went to the Café situated next to the Motel – The Koepelcafe (this is where Hendrik Beerenburg created his “jenever” (dutch gin) from herbs in 1645 – still very popular with Dutchmen) – The café was created by putting 2 restored 17th century monument houses together – it is an authentic Amsterdam “brown café” where snacks, sandwiches & local specialties are served. I decided to have an old fashioned british gin, whilst Gary opted for the house white wine – we also had the traditional Dutch pea soup(accompanied by 2 slices of pumpernickel bread spread with mustard & topped with ham – fish & chips (perfectly cooked) & caesar salad with smoked salmon (huge)'

That sounds fantastic ... now I really can't wait to get to Amsterdam. Thanks so much for this information. I'm sure we won't have time to see half of what we want to see ... but then that's always an excuse for going there again.

The upscale shoppingarea near the museums is PC Hooftstraat. There is a nice restaurant (with outside terrace) in the street. On the corner with van Baerlestraat you will find "Sama Sebo" one of the best restaurant with indonesian kitchen (Indonesia was once a dutch colony). They serve one of the best "Rijsttafels", or the small version "Nasi Rames (rice) or Bami Rames (noodles).

I notice you are sailing May 10. Probably a tour to Keukenhof (great flower gardens) is included. But should that be at the end of the tour, better go there yourself before. Flowerseason of tulips, hyacinths etc. is in general (weather depending) last week April/first week of May.

webfoot - Some years ago I stayed at the Victoria Hotel in Amsterdam. Can't get any closer to the pier which is right in back of the train station. The Victoria is just over a bridge to the station. Fantastic location. The Victoria has a web site. Not sure of the rates. As I remember a 4 star hotel. Canal rides just outside the hotel. Willard

Hi Willard ... I had looked at the Victoria Hotel ... but when I found that I had enough Marriott points for a room at the Renaissance, I couldn't pass that up ... the Victoria looked very nice and I'll definitely keep that on my list if and when we ever get back to Amsterdam.

We are lucky in that we get to Amsterdam on Saturday ... our ship boards on Sunday afternoon around 3 ... and then we don't leave for the next stop until sometime late Monday, so we should have time to see things that we want to ... probably won't have enough time, though ...

Thanks!

Webfoot - Some years ago I used the Victoria Hotel in Amsterdam. Can't get any closer to the pier where the river boats are at. The pier is right behind the train station. The Victoria is just across a small canal bridge from the station. Very convenient. The Victoria has a web site you might want to look at. Not sure of rates. Also if I remember right the canal boat tours are right outside the hotel. Willard

Webfoot - sorry for the repeat, didn't think the first one got through. Anyway if you guys want a hoot - walk throught the "red light district". About 4 canals over from the Victoria. Last time we were there the "ladies" were sitting in large windows. Can't see that in the states. Willard

Archived