Anyone travel on HAL with children?

CruisingCatherine

My son loved Holland America. They did alot of fun things including a talent show- which he "starred" in. The ships aren't massive and I think kids like this better- they are easier to navigate. The pools are freshwater and are very nice. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

All in all- my son really liked Holland America. Of course we had a mini-suite and he was really impressed with that.

Thank you so much for your input. I see you have cruised on all different cruise lines. How would you compare Royal Caribbean and Carnival to HAL? In particular the children's programs and family activities? What would you say the average age of cruisers on HAL was? Did you feel out of place as a younger cruiser?

If you go in the fall there will be fewer kids because of school.

I went in the summer but it was a 12 night cruise to Greece and Turkey and for that reason there were fewer kids than say on a Caribbean cruise.

I think when there are less children- the kids actually have a better time. There is less kaos and over-stimulation.

How would I rate Holland over Carnival and Royal. I found the youth program to be more interesting for my son. There were arts and crafts, some learning video games and planned games like freeze tag, etc. the facility isn't huge but they do things around the ship as well, which I like. The only negative was that I found some of the staff to be a bit surly in the AM- like they party at night but I wouldn't hesitate to sail with them again.

If you are deciding between cruise lines and the youth program is the most important, I can't say enough about Celebrity. Love them. However, my son is an avid swimmer (a fish). He loves the freshwater pools and I tend to like Holland, Princess and Cunard for this reason. I am giving Royal Caribbean a try this month (Independence of the Seas) and I will post my review here upon my return.

The Holland America ships are designed nicely and my son really enjoyed the children's pool. There is only one pool for kids- so if there are children, you'll know where to find them. I liked that the pools were fresh water. Kids don't like the saltwater pools as much.

I liked Holland America better than Carnival and Royal Caribbean. It is a more relaxing environment. In my experience cruises tend to be married couples, families with kids and the elderly (who keep the industry alive). There is a good mix. I am a single, divorced parent and I am definitely in the minority but I still have a great time- so the demographics make no difference to me at all.

We are considering a fall cruise on HAL Eurodam. Has anyone sailed on HAL with their children? What was your experience? Did the kids enjoy it? How was the children's facilities? Did you feel like the cruise was mostly elderly with very few children onboard?

Hi, We travelled on RCL 2 years ago with the kids and it was great. We are leaving Feb 28t on HAL for a 7 day Eastern Carribbean. I have heard the kids programs a bit more laid back on HAL but will definately post when we return.

I would really appreciate a review when you return. We have decided to book on the Eurodam 10/10 as it is such a good deal for us.

We will be on the Eurodam as well. I'll bring back the kids programs and scan them in. My kids are 8 (almost 9) and 6. What age are yours?

Kathy

We will be on the Eurodam as well. I'll bring back the kids programs and scan them in. My kids are 8 (almost 9) and 6. What age are yours?

Kathy

My kids will be 9 and 12 at the time of sailing. They should both be in the same group as your 8 year old. I would be so appreciative of your scans!!! My son has special needs and it really helps us when we can fill him in as much as possible prior to events. The fewer suprises for him the better.

We are scheduled on the Eurodam for 14 nights in Europe in June. Our kids are 8 and 5, so we are hopeful things will be ok. We went to Alaska on the Oosterdam last year that there were hardly any kids. my son closed the camp every night and wanted to take the counselor home :D. Imagine an 8 year old giving his home number to her....quite funny since we live in San Diego and the Oosterdam is ported there when not in Alaska. He is still bummed to this day she didn't call.

Difference No. 1:

On port days on RCCL you can leave the kids aboard while you go on an excursion. HAL does not offer that option. They are only open from 9-12, 2-5, and 7-10 on port days.

Our children (6, 7, and 8) are such fans of the kids programs, that they (literally) refuse to leave the ship! On our last RCCL cruise (15 days to Hawaii), they complained that "Daddy MADE us go to the beach in Maui." By the time we stopped in Hilo, I gave up on them. I took them to camp at 9:00 a.m. where they remained until 10:00 p.m. and were begging us to pay for group babysitting so they could remain until midnight. You just do not have that flexibility on HAL.

In the meantime, my wife and I rented a van and driver, went to the volcano park, orchid store, Mauna Loa macadamia nut plant, a 1-1/2 hour helicopter ride, and a sunset cruise. We realized how much we love each other, enjoy each other's company, can make each other laugh, and (as much as we love and adore our children) how nice it was to enjoy OUR own vacation while they were having the time of their lives enjoying their vacation their own way.

Difference No. 2.

We took a ten day cruise on the Noordam the year it was launched. HAL has a markedly older crowd. Some grandmotherly types are sweet, some alte kakers in the dining room and the lounges did nothing but complain loudly about why we brought young children (even well-behaved ones) on "their" cruise line. [i believe that the elevated voices were meant to ensure that we heard what they were saying.]

When the kids were dancing with me on an empty dance floor and my wife was taking pictures, they complained about how the kids were distracting them from listening to the music.

The RCCL crew members are always courteous. The HAL crew members see far fewer kids aboard but were equally welcoming (especially those who were parted from their own children). They were delightful and delighted to have them aboard.

As long as my health remains good and I travel with the kids, I will strongly prefer RCCL. Once I become an alte kaker myself (my karmic burden of resentment condemns me to that fate) and prefer my food underseasoned and undersalted (albeit, of an excellent quality), I will switch to HAL so I can enliven my moribund existence by complaining about other people's children.

All, that having been said, my wife is taking the three kids northbound from Vancouver on the Ryyndam this June. I will join them in Seward and go southbound on the Radiance. Although the experience will be different for us as parents and adults, I am certain that the kids will have a wonderful time no matter which direction and which cruise line they are on.

My son liked Holland America very much. He never complained about a thing. I had a nice time on Zuiderdam and wouldn't hesitate to sail Holland America again. I do believe that certain vessels are more child friendly though. Make sure to discuss this with a travel agent. For example in the guide books they recommend certain Holland America ships over others. Also, since Holland America attracts fewer families, I suspect there are very few children off season.

Of all the lines Celebrity has the best youth program and Princess has the best pools. I am giving Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas a try this time though. I like exploring new ships and I think it will be very interesting to be on such a huge ship.

I'll be back with a review.

We've sailed HAL twice to Alaska, once to Mexican Riviera and will be going to the Caribbean in March. Our daughters, now 10 & 15 love HAL. We usually cruise during school vacations, so there are several children on the ship. The crew is absolutely wonderful to the kids on board.......treat our girls almost like their own children.

Our daughters don't usually spend too much time in the kids club, but from what I've seen, it's well organized with lots of fun activities. A couple of times, Club HAL had something like a "Build A Bear" activity, where the kids can stuff a bear or moose and give it a name with a birth certificate......a very cute idea.

Our girls also love the food!!! No kids meals for them. They enjoy trying the different foods, especially the chilled soups. Our youngest even tried the escargot and enjoyed it. And who wouldn't enjoy the wonderful ice cream HAL has to offer.....so many flavors to choose from.

Although HAL does seem to have a slightly more mature group, we've never had a problem with it. We actually enjoy it more, because the ship is not overly crowded with large groups of children. HAL has nice sized ships, not like some other cruiselines that carry 2,500 - 3,000 passengers or more. You will enjoy the elegance, service and activities on HAL. Good luck with your decision.

I was very interested to read about your experience on the Zuiderdam. We have booked to take the Panama cruise on this ship at the end of March with our two children aged 11 & 9 years. We have been fortunate enough to sail with RCL, Costa and NCL in the past and have had a fantastic time. However, we were particular drawn to this particular cruise as I really wanted to visit the Bahamas and Panama Canal.

Our agent said that there is a great kids club onboard and superb activities for the children to participate in. However, I have recently read negative reviews that the children could be bored and that it really isn't suitable for children! I am extremely concerned as this is a ten day cruise and I really want us all to have a great time. As this cruise leaves on the 29/03/09, I am hoping that this is during the Spring break in the USA - hence there may be more children onboard (but not too many)!!!!

Most kids are going to have their spring break around Easter. So in March there won't be too many kids (but there will be some).

Zuiderdam has a nice program, freshwater pools and an attentive staff. All the kids on our cruise were having a wonderful time. Don't worry yourself.

One good thing about the program not being too good (which it isn't Disney or Celebrity, which has an awesome kids club) is that they may hang out with you more and show more of an interest in the places that they are sailing thru.

This was true of my trip on Zuiderdam thru Greece and Turkey. Marc would sort of go in and out of the kids club, hang with me by the pool and was happy to go on excursions. So I would say that your kids will read the activity schedule and go to the kids club sporatically but no obsessively. My son was the "star" of the talent show and loved that. I also met some great moms from cruise critic and we had a ''tea party" in one of the cabins one day. Another mom from Hawaii and I became friends and Marc loved to play with her son, who was three years younger than Marc. There weren't as many kids so Marc just played with kids younger than him. He didn't mind and we had a wonderful time.

So a ship is sort of the sum of its parts. The crew is great, cabins are spacious, food was very good, the ship isn't too huge (personal attention). All and all- it was one of the best cruises I have been on.

Zuiderdam is sort of contemporary and I didn't like the decor. One major drawback for me was the diningroom. It seems old by today's standards. It isn't a two story spectacular room and the chairs are heavy and tables are close together. Food was mediocre.

However, the buffet offers the same food and it was good for buffet food. We ate most nights on our balcony and I ran upstairs for our dinner and brought it to the cabin. One night (courtesy of my travel agent) I dined at the specialty restaurant and it was fantastic. Really excellent. Worth the $ 20 surcharge (for me it was free). So book the specialty restaurant for at least one night- you won't be disappointed. I thought it was better than the specialty restaurant on Celebrity, which is quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking our 10 year old grandaughter on the Zuiderdam for 10 days , She is over the moon with the idea of getting dressed up for dinner, going to afternoon teas, ordering whatever she wants from an adult menu, seeing the ocean, having room service, seeing movies and shows, and riding the train in Panama, She views the kids program as a place she will go when we want to do adult things like the Pinnacle Grill or spa. For us I know that HAL will work.

Marcia

You CAN have your kids in the kids club during excursion days - you just need to pre-arrange it the day before.

We were on HAL in December and you can indeed book the whole day on port days if you want - at least it was available on the ship we were on.

While the crowd was mostly older/seniors, it was still lots of fun for our girl and the few other kids on board, as they seemed to all get a lot of attention from the "grandma's and grandpa's" on the boat.

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise with them again, however, I do favor Royal Caribbean over HAL.

You CAN have your kids in the kids club during excursion days - you just need to pre-arrange it the day before.

We were on HAL in December and you can indeed book the whole day on port days if you want - at least it was available on the ship we were on.

We'll be on the Rotterdam in late June - was there a charge for the kids club during excursion days or do you just have to let them know?

Thanks.

Anyone done HAL with younger kids? We are considering a cruise with them in 2010, when our son will be 3 1/2. I know he'll need to be potty trained by then or he wouldn't be able to use the kids club...any tips beyond that?

Anyone done HAL with younger kids? We are considering a cruise with them in 2010, when our son will be 3 1/2. I know he'll need to be potty trained by then or he wouldn't be able to use the kids club...any tips beyond that?

I'd also like to know the answer to this question....thank you.

Archived