Driving San Antonio to Galveston... help!

I was reading the thread about driving DFW to Galveston and starting to get worried. We're driving in the morning of the cruise from San Antonio (there on business), didn't really think that traffic would be an issue on a Sunday morning. Looking at Yahoo Map, it seems the most direct way would be through downtown Houston. Should I be worried about traffic? How much more time should I factor in for the drive?

Thanks for the advice in advance!!

IH10 East to Houston, swing then Beltway 8 around the city to 45 South and you will avoid going thru the main areas of town...works best with an EZ Tag.

If you are in a car without an EZ Tag it may be just as quick then to go into 610 and around or thru downtown from 10 to 45.

Depending on where you start in San Antonio you should get to Houston in 3ish hours and 4 or so total to Galveston.

Thanks for the reply- that doesn't sound too bad! These boards are a HUGE help!

Use beltway 8 just after u pass thru katy and then right on 45 to galveston... from san antonio with a stop about 4 to 4.5 hours

I was reading the same thread and getting concerned. Thank you all for answering with positive responses. We are staying in San Antonio pre-cruise and are planning to leave very early Sunday morning. We will be in a rental car and have to go back to the airport. Any traffic problems for us to consider?

I was reading the thread about driving DFW to Galveston and starting to get worried. We're driving in the morning of the cruise from San Antonio (there on business), didn't really think that traffic would be an issue on a Sunday morning. Looking at Yahoo Map, it seems the most direct way would be through downtown Houston. Should I be worried about traffic? How much more time should I factor in for the drive?

Thanks for the advice in advance!!

From I-10 I have taken the Sam Houston Toll road to 45 S to Galveston. I have also taken the 610 loop to 45 S on to Galveston. I have driven the route downtown, also, but prefer the other two routes. Don't worry......it will be fine. There isn't that much traffic on Sunday morning.

Duh!! After looking at a map, I feel more confident that we will have no problems. I thought Dallas was west of San Antonio and therefore we would be using the same highway. We just have to go to Houston so we are good to go.

Thanks,J

Y'all will be fine. Just remember if driving under the speed limit on IH10 out West of Houston, stay in the right lane or risk being run over. :eek:

Have a great cruise.

For those looking at IH45 this weekend, wow, around Conroe it will be totally closed tonight thru Sunday morning to I believe blow up a bridge (overpass over 45) and move it out of the way. Historically the crews work fast so it could be open sometime Saturday if they work really fast...

I live in San Antonio and have mad the trip a number of times... you won't have any problems at all. Traffic will be a non issue. If you leave early enough, most are still in church and not out and about...

JD

Archived