Whale Watch Excursions

NeilFan

How many of you have been disappointed with your Alaskan whale watch excursion?

The reason I ask is because while in Maui 10 years ago we had an amazing experience with whales beside the boat for about 45 minutes. We've never been able to match or even come close to that experience in Hawaii. Will we do better in Juneau?

Thanks for your input -- I love reading about whales so this will be fun!

Rene

I've done whale watching in Hawaii, Mexico and Alaska ... they are all different experiences. Like you, we had an awesome experience in Hawaii that has yet to ever be repeated.

Alaska will be different if for no other reason than the color of the water versus Hawaii. Unfortunately, the water is kind of gray as are the whales. That being said, it is still a great experience no matter where you go. And you'll definitely have different scenery in Alaska as well as seals and eagles.

Hope this answers your question. Go expecting a great experience, just unique to Alaska.

You have unrealistic expectations. I've been on over a hundred whale watches, was on 6 this summer out of Gloucester. It's all about "normal" behaviors- meaning with humpbacks, blows, backs and tails, expect nothing more. Never expect "close" up views, there are restictions that reputable operators abide by. I've seen some fantastic behaviors, which is the icing on the cake, but the "regular" views listed above is also what keeps me going over and over and over. :)

I agree. One time in Alaksa all we saw were humpbacks mostly at a distance. The next time in Alaska we were lucky enough to see a pod of Orcas with a baby, and watched for a long time because it was the first time that season the naturalist on board had seen the pod. We thought that was great enough and then a huge humback came out of no where and we were way too close but it sure was exciting. The boat we were on quickly moved the safe distance they are supposed to move to. You just never know and you take your chances each and every time, but the scenery is breath taking even if you don't see any whales.You will always see those eagles otherwise known as golf balls in the tree tops. Look for those very fast little dolphins too.(I may be wrong on calling these dolphins but that is what they look like). Those skim along the boats. Good luck trying to get a picture though. They are too fast.

Archived