run down of kids activities on RCCL, NCL, and Princess

punkmuse

my parents would like to take my family (ie their kids and grandkids) on a cruise in 2010 and I am trying to figure out which cruiseline would be best. i have narrowed it down to RCCL, NCL, and Princess.

the group would be my parents (early 60s very active), my husband and I (early 30s), my brother and his wife (mid 30s), their two sons (will be either 9 and 11 or 10 and 12, i cant remember)

since ihave no kids myself i kind of dont remember much about kids stuff on cruiselines.

here is what i can remember, can anyone add "kids stuff" to my list?

RCCL

rock wall

kids club

kids pool (ages????)

mini golf

arcade ???? (i think both RCCL ships we were on had this)

ice skating (larger ships)

ice show (larger ships)

NCL

bowling (fee for this i believe)

two story Wii station (free?)

kids club ??????

kids pool????

??????????

Princess

no idea, but fellow people on CC say Princess is good for kids

thanks! :)

You can go to the links in my signature and see menus and kids club pages from most of the cruise lines.

Let me see if I can add some...

RCCL

Freedom Class - H20 Zone

Oasis - everything the Freedom class has plus 2 rock climbing walls, zipline, carousel, boardwalk, central park

Ben & Jerrys - Johnny Rockets onboard

Princess

MUTS - movies Under the Stars (movie screen at the pool deck)

Disney and Carnival Ships (newer Carnival ships) also have the pool LCD movie screens

Most kids clubs have a Wii (my kids have played things like guitar hero on most ships)

Most ships have an arcade

I think for the age of the kids, you can't beat RCCL Freedom class. But kids will have fun no matter the ship. So for the family, in general, to be happy, make sure you compare itineraries, cost, etc

wow!! great link! i am going to send that info to my parents and my brother. my SIL in worried that their wont be anything for the kids to do on the boat :eek: i told her she was silly!! that the kids would have more to do on sea days than the adults!!

one quick question. just looking at the NCL kids program it mentions "parents pickup @ 10:30 PM" i assume you can come collect your kid at anytime during the day right? do they need to show up at a set time and be picked up at a set time or is it kind of free flowing?

and is it the same for most cruise lines?

thanks so much!

wow!! great link! i am going to send that info to my parents and my brother. my SIL in worried that their wont be anything for the kids to do on the boat :eek: i told her she was silly!! that the kids would have more to do on sea days than the adults!!

one quick question. just looking at the NCL kids program it mentions "parents pickup @ 10:30 PM" i assume you can come collect your kid at anytime during the day right? do they need to show up at a set time and be picked up at a set time or is it kind of free flowing?

and is it the same for most cruise lines?

thanks so much!

Yes, my kids often have more to do than I do. ;)

You can get the kids any time you want. As long as the club is open, you can bring the kids in and out as you please. :D It is free flowing.

When the kids get to a certain age (usually 9), you can give them permission to sign themselves out. By 12, they can usually come and go at will. That's a whole other discussion though. ;)

RCL offers one advantage over Princess if they plan on leaving the kids on board while they go on shore excursions. The RCL kids program is open during port time (no extra charge). On Celebrity and Princess we had to take them with us which kind of limited us on what we could choose. There was also for that older age group some sort of dissecting of a sea creature and a volcano experiment on RCL.

I think you will have a good time on any of the cruises you mentioned. I personally like Princess best of the lines you mentioned. I like the outdoor movie theatre and the fresh water pools (Carnival and Royal have saltwater). Also, since Princess tends to attract older passengers, the hot tubs are usually empty!

If price is a factor, then Princess is probably more expensive. I am luke warm about Royal Caribbean but am going to try them for the third time in a couple weeks and maybe I'll change my mind. Royal Caribbean had good food, service and cabins but it just lacks something. I can't put my finger on it but it just seems very generic. I hope to be pleasantly surprized by Independence of the Seas.

I only did Carnival once and it was fun but it is very "Vegas"- loud. Princess is more subdued and elegant.

My apologies- I am thrilled that Freedom class is freshwater. That may be the deciding factor for us!!! Sorry for the false info. My previous experience on RCL was that the pools were saltwater.

Not a problem. :D

And remember, Indy is HEATED freshwater. :D:D:D

Do you go before me? I thought you do, right? By one week?

Edited to say - I just looked at your signature. You are getting off when I am getting on. :) Make sure your warn them about me...lol.

michelle- too bad we aren't on the same sailing. I would love to meet you. I am really looking forward to getting away from the cold Baltimore weather. I am very excited to experience Independence of the Seas. I think it will be awesome!:)

We just got snow today. Ick.

It would have been great if you were on my sailing. But you'll be on a longer sailing, 8 days right? Have a great time! We'll compare notes when I get back. :)

• 2 weeks later...
RCL offers one advantage over Princess if they plan on leaving the kids on board while they go on shore excursions. The RCL kids program is open during port time (no extra charge). On Celebrity and Princess we had to take them with us which kind of limited us on what we could choose. There was also for that older age group some sort of dissecting of a sea creature and a volcano experiment on RCL.

Actually, Princess does have the kids camp open on port days, however, you do need to let them know by the night before and the hours may not be as long. A couple ways that their camp is different on port days is that they do not close for lunch, but remain open and feed the kids who are there and 2) if your child is in the 8-12 YO range and you have given them sign out privileges, that is suspended during port so that they can't wonder off the ship. We have personally used this as port time is our family time, however, there always seems to be a few kids up there from what I have seen.

By the way, my kids love the kids camp on Princess (current ages 10 and 9)

We have been on Princess and Royal Carribean. I like the kids room on Princess a lot better than RC. The rock wall was a wait to do and then the kids only got up 1/3 of the way and it was kind of like "hurry up or get down, I've got a line waiting" A parent had to be there to sign you up. The "mini golf" was an area that had 9 holes and it was not fun. The kids room had alot of stuff to do, but whenever I went to pick up the kids they were playing this game where they throw balls at each other. And I saw this 2-3 times a day when picking up my kids. I didn't see them bring home much of things they had done. On Princess, they had a listing of what they did and pretty much followed the schedule so my kids could pick what they wanted to do. And, if it was on the schedule, they did it and you saw something come home, like a picture frame or t-shirt or whatever. My kids were 9 on their first cruise and have been on 4 cruises. Their 5th cruise will be when they are 12 and they still enjoy going to the kids room, but we do allow sign in and out privileges now as long as they let us know where they are. They must call in every hour or leave us a note and they can go hang out with their friends they've made. I have twins, son and daughter, and they both like the kids room. We allowed them to sign in and out when they were 10 1/2 because we thought they were ready and they know the rules.

There is stuff for the older ones to do as well. You will see them meet up on the first day in the teen's room and hang out to see who is around their age. Then they have some fun stuff for the kids to do or else you will see a group of kids hanging out at the ping pong tables or just wherever. But make sure they check out the room the first time if only to make friends to hang out with their own age. My daughter always finds someone to make friends with so she won't have to hang out with her parents.

Archived