Best tip used?

TERMITEJR

LOVE the tip about numbering your luggage! Not usually a problem when it is just DH and myself, but last summer the family cruised together and we were a party of 10.

Finding the luggage, getting a porter, getting the 2 cars, and then loading it all can be frenzied at best. We kept looking and counting to make sure we did not leave anything behind.

Next time we all cruise together, we are definitely using this system!

--I go to my local Dollar Store and buy several heavy-duty, clear plastic

envelopes with the zip-lock top (about 8" x 5"). They are great for carrying money ($1 tips) and cards to the pool or port.

--small, hotel or travel-sized bottle of hair conditioner---the water on the ship seems to really dry out my hair!

--Pepto Bismol and Imodium!! They will save you some night at midnight after eating the wrong thing!

--colorful plastic zip-ties for your luggage, etc. (also Dollar Store!)

--pop-on nightlight for next to the bed or the bathroom

A few other great items

Print our your cabin info, return flight information and contact info for when you get your luggage tags to go home. Print out a set and throw them in your bag, that way on your final night you're not spending 10 or 15 minutes scribbling your information on the tags.

Small clothes pins or clips to keep the window blinds closed during the daytime naps.

This isn't a tip on what to bring - only pack 1/2 the clothes you think you need and take advantage of the laundry special. I think on the Legend it was $15 per bag - you can stuff alot in there and you don't have to pack as much. We have done this the last two cruises and I highly recommend it!

Excellent thread!!! Many of you bring alarm clocks and nite lites.....How about just using your cell phone for both needs? We all have them, right?

Our cell went crazy. The date and time were all over the place. My SIL has a different carrier and had the same problem.

My husband and I were both in the service industry (waitress,bartender) before we became old people and there is a special place in our heart for those folks who are currently in the industry trying to make ends meet. We have never stiffed anyone, even when service was bad because we figure everyone has a bad day, but this guy seemed to really not care all week long. There were three days our room wasn't even cleaned but we just decided to grin and bear it and chalk it up to experience.

I truly admire your attitude, here. However, if the steward was THAT bad, then management should know. Think of the next poor passengers who will suffer if he does not improve...

best tip and used it,was not to eat salads so you could eat more of all the great entree's. also brought a 6ft. inflatable palm tree with the base of the tree having a large area to put ice that served as huge ice bucket. everytime i looked at that palm tree on the balcony i thought i was on an island.:D

Excellent thread!!! Many of you bring alarm clocks and nite lites.....How about just using your cell phone for both needs? We all have them, right?
\

As long as you remember to put it on flight mode if you're phone is so equipped. I would hate to be stuck with extra charges because some dingaling calls me while I"m on my cruise! I prefer to turn mine off and lock it in the safe as soon as the ship starts moving -

A tip I learned (which may not be such a great one for those of you who fly in and out) was to pack an empty duffle bag for all the goodies we buy in port. That way we know we will have enough room to pack everything we brought and bought.

I echo the statements of the pop-up hamper, it's a GREAT way to keep your dirty clothes in one spot, ours fit in our closet, out of sight.

Mugs are a must!

Handcream, the salty air seems to dry my skin out, but with a little help from Bath & Bodyworks, it's all good! (Might I suggest the handcream called "Grin and Bare It"....it's fabulous!)

I also take a lime-keeper (I think I bought it at a kitchen store somewhere), you can slice limes, put them in it, then when you get to your room, stick it in the fridge, you'll have limes for drinks you make in your room.;)

Speaking of the refridgerators in the rooms, our cabin steward on the Liberty told us if you want, you can request they empty the fridge so you do not accidently drink anything in it, but you can still use it for your own needs.:cool:

One more, then I'll sign off...when you get to your room, check the safe, do a physical inspection of it, run your hand along the inside of the front of the safe...we've found things in there that we called security to show them we found it so they could remove it and we wouldn't get into trouble should anything happen. (We found a switchblade knife:eek: on the Liberty and unidentified pills:rolleyes: on the Glory.) Two for two...the Liberty security guy said if the room had to be searched and they had found it on us, we would have gone to jail. :mad:

Enjoy your cruises! I'm planning my next as we speak! "Wherever I go, I hope there's RUM!"

I always bring a book light so I can ready when DH wants to sleep. I lost mine and need to get a new one quick. I think it was called a book wedge, it is the size of a paperback, flat, with a light on the side to light the page. Does anyone know the actual brand name? Thanks, Kaboochi

Our cell went crazy. The date and time were all over the place. My SIL has a different carrier and had the same problem.

What carriers do you have cathyoo?? Even if the phone doesn't work (for making calls) it can still be used as a nite lite and alarm clock.

Thought it would be good for 1st timers to see all the tips we've used from all the experienced cruisers on this site in one thread

mine is simple but I never thought of it, and that was the over the door shoe holder, worked GREAT for all the stuff that would otherwise clutter your counter

I, too, give a hearty vote for the over-the-door-shoe bag! Loved it, bringing it again in March!

I have a question about bringing a powerstrip, it may be a silly one but... :) I went to buy one last night to take along on our cruise and wasn't sure which one to buy. Do I get the polarized one? The grounded one? Or is there a different kind? Thanks!

I have a question about bringing a powerstrip, it may be a silly one but... :) I went to buy one last night to take along on our cruise and wasn't sure which one to buy. Do I get the polarized one? The grounded one? Or is there a different kind? Thanks!

I'm a self-proclaimed dummy when it comes to types of power strips, but I can tell you we take the one from our home computer (the type you can turn all off if you want to with the flip of the switch), and have had no problems.

I know my husband takes a converter thing to plug a three prong into a two prong outlet, but I don't know if he uses it or not on the powerstrip.

Clear as mud?:o

Archived