FLL vs South Beach vs Key Largo vs other?

lallak1

Looking for some advice on best option for a two day pre-cruise stay. We are flying to FLL on Friday, April 10 and sailing out of FLL on Sunday, April 12 (Easter). We are in our mid to late 40's celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. We're not much into spending an entire day just laying pool side or on the beach, so we're trying to decide on an area that would offer a number of options on things to do. We do want there to be some night life available as well.

The options we've narrowed it to are the Hilton FLL Beach Resort or FLL Grande and Yacht resort in Fort Lauderdale, the Hilton Grande Resort in Key Largo, or any of the South Beach hotels. We're not anti-family or kids, but given that we're celebrating an anniversary, would prefer a more "adults only" type spot. I know the time of year being spring break is going to make this difficult, but when you are married to a teacher, you can only vacation when the families are.

Any suggestions? We're open to other options that we haven't mentioned yet if you have some good ideas. thanks.

Well, you've done your research well and have chosen some nice adult hotels. Here's my opinion, and I'm going to approach this as if you do not have a car:

Key Largo--not much to do other than pool, boating, fishing. There are a few bars in Islamorada, which is about a 20-30 minute ride south (I could be a little off).

South Beach--great place to stay to walk around. Lots of nightlife. The clubs are mostly for young people, but there are lots of restaurants, and the hotels have very nice bars. Lincoln Road is a nice pedestrianized area to walk to with shopping and dining. I haven't stayed down there for a while, so I cannot recommend any specific hotels, but if you can afford it, I remember the Delano and Loew's being really nice.

Fort Lauderdale--both hotels are great for accessing the water taxi and trolley, so you can go to the same places from both. The Grande is closest to the port. There are lots of restaurants nearby but not much to do in the daytime. Not too much in night life other than eating, though the fabulous China Grille is in the hotel: think expensive Asian restaurant with nightclub atmosphere. The Hilton by the beach is very nice and brand new. It is close to both Galleria Mall, the beach, and the beachfront nightlife. You can get to Las Olas Blvd from either hotel by water or cab, and this is another great place to be at night. So I would go to Las Olas one night and to the beachfront one night. You didn't say what you like to do in the daytime, but since you arent't into the pool/beach, you can go to the mall. The Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall is even better (it's huge), but you really need a car to go there, as it's at least 30 minutes west of the beach, and cab fare would be really high.

If you have further questions, please post here. Happy Anniversary, and enjoy your trip....

If you were going to drive to Key Largo, keep driving south and go to Key West. Great place, like you're in the Caribbean and not Florida. A lot of fun adult things to do. Great bars;), fairly good restaurants, and if you want to get out on the water take a nice sunset catamaran cruise. My favorite place in Florida:D. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the feedback...this is really helpful info.

How long of a drive would it be from Key West back to the the port in FLL on Sunday morning? That's my biggest concern about doing two days in the keys.

Thanks for the feedback...this is really helpful info.

How long of a drive would it be from Key West back to the the port in FLL on Sunday morning? That's my biggest concern about doing two days in the keys.

Let me preface this by stating that my parents live in Key West from January to April as they have a home there.

That said, there is no one in my family would ever drive from Key West to Miami or FLL the same day of a flight out.

On a great day with perfect conditions, the drive is four hours.

However, I can't tell you how many times I or anyone in my family has been caught in traffic and the drive has taken 8 hours and even 12 hours a couple of times.

You are talking a 150 mile drive that is mostly a two lane road just to get out of the keys.

Anyone who tells you that they've made this drive in under four hours is lying. A good part of the drive the speed limit is under 55 MPH and when it is 55, traffic doesn't move that fast.

My suggestion would be to see if you can fly out of Key West or head to FLL or Miami and spend the night.

Good luck!

BlueHeron is right on. Key West to FLL is 180 miles and takes right at 4 hours. It's a beautiful drive, especially the portion below Marathon. Bonus points if you do it in a convertable. I've been extremely lucky to never get caught in one, but traffic snarls along the 2 lane stretches of US1 are legendary.

Thanks for the info on drive time from Key West....sounds like more stress (or potential stress) than I'm looking for at the beginning of my vacation.

Back to vacillating between FLL and South Beach.....

Thanks for the info on drive time from Key West....sounds like more stress (or potential stress) than I'm looking for at the beginning of my vacation.

Back to vacillating between FLL and South Beach.....

Tough call. We've stayed at both areas within the past 18 months and enjoyed both. We recently stayed at the Hilton on Fort Lauderdale Beach and really enjoyed the hotel. It's within walking distance of a number of open air cafes. South Beach has that going for it, too, but Fort Lauderdale just seemed to be more of a relaxed, not quite so over-the-top atmosphere. Plus, you could spend a day in Fort Lauderdale sight-seeing and just checking out some restaurants via the water taxi.

I'd probably go with Fort Lauderdale simply because that was the port of departure.

Enjoy,

Mike

Key West is the best place in FL, but so not right for your plans. I'd go to South Beach. So much to do, so much to see. Miami is also close drive too, so your options are endless. You could also spend a whole day at a sidewalk eatery in South Beach doing nothing but looking. I've seen at least one movie star everytime I've gone. You could get some fun Botique Hotel, it would be great. I'd think even Key Largo would be a pain of a drive, I've spent hours on that stretch too. We are doing FLL for a long day/night. It's much more spring break, laid back, beachy. I know we will sit by the pool, walk the beach and have a dinner. I'd expect to see a lot more kids in FLL than South Beach. Key Biscayne is also very Lovely. We Honeymooned there. It is a 30 minute drive from the MIA airport, tops. It could be an option, but is a big retierment spot. It will be more quiet. We stayed at the Ritz, with tennis and bikes; as well as the beach and pool.

After hours of research and reading lots of online reviews we picked The Blue Moon on South Beach for our pre-cruise hotel. We won't have a car so parking wasn't an issue. We will be staying there in Feb so I don't have personal experience but this seemed to fit the bill for location, Art Deco "charm", and our price point.

Depends what you are looking for.... FLL will have more kids for sure, because it is more family oriented. If shopping interests you, its Mall shopping for FLL, interesting boutique shopping for South Beach. (The idea of spending a day at any mall is the last thing that I would ever do on vacation, but lots love it, so more power to them) If you like to walk around and look at interesting architecture or sit in a bar and just watch the world go by, I would choose to be in South Beach. If "hip" doesn't have any appeal to you however, FLL is maybe better.

Enjoy whichever you choose....

Depends what you are looking for.... FLL will have more kids for sure, because it is more family oriented. If shopping interests you, its Mall shopping for FLL, interesting boutique shopping for South Beach. (The idea of spending a day at any mall is the last thing that I would ever do on vacation, but lots love it, so more power to them) If you like to walk around and look at interesting architecture or sit in a bar and just watch the world go by, I would choose to be in South Beach. If "hip" doesn't have any appeal to you however, FLL is maybe better.

Enjoy whichever you choose....

While I agree, South Beach can very much be for the unhip.

My husband opted to convalesce in South Beach after major surgery a couple of years ago. We were in bed at night by nine PM and on the beach by 9AM. Total nerds that trip!

• 1 month later...

We are back from our cruise and can happily report that the Blue Moon Hotel in South Beach is quite nice. It is conveniently located between 9th and 10th street on Collins Ave. You are 1 block from Ocean Ave and 2 from the beach. Also three blocks from a great (and inexpensive) Cuban restaurant Puerto Sagua.

We had a standard room in the 2nd building (attached to the main building by a short breeze-way) on the 2nd floor. Room was a very nice size with a queen bed, a large walk in closet (with safe), and a good sized bath with bathtub.

There is a daily per room fee of $7.95. In return you get a $5 bar chit (pays for 1 beer) and breakfast. Breakfast is a buffet of the muffins, toast, bagels, hard boiled eggs, cold cereal and, our favorite, make your own waffles.

We would give The Blue Moon a 3.5 rating. We would stay here again. Good value in a great location.

Hotel will arrange tours. Instead, we booked a bus/harbor cruise thru the street vendor outside the Viscay Hotel (on the corner of 10th and Collins). Tour was all day but very interesting and with only 10 of us so it wasn't a huge bus event. Be prepared to pay cash for the tour or pay a 7 to 9%! credit card surcharge.

Archived