Menu Surveys???

sail7seas

Would like to see a choice of veggies served continental style every evening as they used to do so that each person would have a choice of several instead of a very small portion of only one vegetable served with their meat/fish and potato. I really feel that, unless I eat a plate of veggies at noon in the Lido, I don't get enough. It was nice when the steward went around the table with a choice of several veggies and you could have as much of each as you wanted.

I'd like to see at least one heart healthy choice on every dinner menu.

Wonderful idea! Brings me to another question: is there more than one vegetarian entree per restaurant/buffet, such as a pasta bar, omelet station, etc.? Can one find yogurt and fruit at times other than breakfast? I am a healthful eater about 98% of the time and have been disappointed at the lack of healthful snacks on other ships.

Wonderful idea! Brings me to another question: is there more than one vegetarian entree per restaurant/buffet, such as a pasta bar, omelet station, etc.? Can one find yogurt and fruit at times other than breakfast? I am a healthful eater about 98% of the time and have been disappointed at the lack of healthful snacks on other ships.

In the dining room I found that there were at least 2 vegetarian entrees each night. A vegetarian appetizer and soup were also offered every night. In the Lido Buffet there were great roasted vegtable sandwichs at the sandwich bar for lunch and a well stocked salad bar that was loaded with plenty of fresh veggies.

However, as for low-carb, high-fiber, etc., etc., written on the menu, come on- those on Atkins, SB, WW or other eating plans know exactly what they are choosing when they see something on the menu, without everything being labelled.

It's a cruiseship dining room, not an Elizabeth Arden Spa, for heavens sake. :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to suggest that carb counts should be on the menu -- only that they should be available to those who request them for items labeled sugar-free, where it is not obvious what the other ingrediuents are. Several restaurants do this, either their their web sites, or in alist/menu that is available on request.

And I do plan to enjoy the food -- I know, or can make a fair guess at, the carb counts of most foods I enjoy. It's just that I read labels and SF items in the stores can vary as much as tenfold for a single, simple cookie. Same with SF ice creams -- some have 2 or 3 carbs per serving; others 16-20. That's a big difference to me.

And yes, I realize that a cruise dining room is not a spa. If I wanted a Red Door there's one in the mall here. But if Ruby Tuesday's, for example, can give me a list of the fat, cholesterol, fiber, calorie, and carb counts for all it menu items, it doesn't seem unreasonable for a cruise line to make available counts on some prepared items.

Actual sides of veggies would be wonderful. I admit to leaving the dining room one night and going to the Lido for broccoli. DH would love a bread basket.

They serve a bread basket each evening but on all of our recent cruises everything in the basket was white. I don't/won't eat white bread anything. Most fine restaurants these days include whole wheat/whole grain choices. Doesn't seem that should be such a big deal to do IMO

They serve a bread basket each evening but on all of our recent cruises everything in the basket was white. I don't/won't eat white bread anything. Most fine restaurants these days include whole wheat/whole grain choices. Doesn't seem that should be such a big deal to do IMO

Most nights we had whole grain/wheat choices in our bread basket. The first night it was all white but all of the following nights we had at least two pieces of whole wheat bread or rolls mixed in. I guess it's just luck of the draw.

We also had mostly whole wheat/wheat choices for bread - in fact, most were too grainy for some of our tablemates, but we loved them.

As I mentioned, we had a wonderful menu - no meatloaf or fish & chips were anywhere to be found... I'm not sure if this is just a preference by the chef or because we were in the Med, but the meals were fabulous and the selection was extensive - even the veggies were in evidence, though I'd like to see them return to continental style as well.

We also had mostly whole wheat/wheat choices for bread - in fact, most were too grainy for some of our tablemates, but we loved them.

As I mentioned, we had a wonderful menu - no meatloaf or fish & chips were anywhere to be found... I'm not sure if this is just a preference by the chef or because we were in the Med, but the meals were fabulous and the selection was extensive - even the veggies were in evidence, though I'd like to see them return to continental style as well.

Wonderful! Glad to finally read that someone's cruise went well!!

-dave

Wonderful! Glad to finally read that someone's cruise went well!!

-dave

Dave-

I am currently uploading all my pics to Webshots, look for my review with pics in the next few days... it was the best cruise ever. I cannot say nearly enough about the crew, staff & officers - we also thought the menu and food to be the best we've had in a long time.

It was a fabulous time. :)

I too would vote for reinstating the Dover sole, on Dutch or any other night. It was wonderful every time I had it.

Steak, chicken breast and salmon as "anytime" choices would be great, along with the ubiquitous baked potato.

I'd also second the notion of having more cooked vegetable choices, and not just reserving veggies for garnish on the dinner plates.

On my very first cruise, on the Maasdam in January 2001, we had a pasta appetizer choice every evening. I tried several and they were generally very good. I was disappointed to not see them offered on our subsequent 4 cruises.

Lastly - bring back the bittersweet chocolate mousse in an almond lace basket that used to be served in the Marco Polo restaurant. I still swoon in remembrance of it. Any dessert that has both chocolate and almonds is a winner in my book.

Less than one month to go .... yaay!

Happy cruising,

Susan

Ruth might remember this one. Bring back the "Chocolate Moose Cake".

I don't need the waiters running around with antlers on their heads, just bring back this dessert.

Yes, I do remember. I remember being more than a bit embarassed about the "running of the moose" since we were not anywhere near Alaska. But that dessert! Ah, memories.

Sure, I'd participate in a survey if one were offered. Perhaps, since HAL reads this board, this thread will be considered their "survey" of sorts.

I easily remember the days when grilled steak, chicken, and a fish were standard options, along with a baked potato. I also remember when a selection of veggies were offered by the table steward.

I liked that idea as it was an opportunity to try something new while still having something I knew I liked.

First and foremost: Add a chocolate dessert every single night!!! I was crushed on the last night there was not one single chocolatey dessert when I wanted and needed it most! Their chocolate desserts are so fabulous. I could eat the first night's chocolate cake every single night!!!! There were at least 2 nights without a chocoate morsel on the menu:(

I agree with Sail ... their salads were disappointing. I had the caesar the first night and it was a wilted, wet disaster. I also agree about the vegetables. On Celebrity they brought the veggies to the table and you could have as much as you like. When I had green beans on the Oosterdam, I think there were 5 at most.

I'll have nothing to say when I finally review our cruise!!!:D

Yes, I do remember. I remember being more than a bit embarassed about the "running of the moose" since we were not anywhere near Alaska. But that dessert! Ah, memories.

We had the Running of the Moose in the Caribbean !!! :D They can call it whatever they choose but just bring back that dessert .

About 10-12 years ago on the Noordam I had wonderful sherbet (sorbet). It was not too sweet and had big blueberries or cranberries in it. I have never seen it again on other HAL ships. The sherbet on subsequent cruises is just like what one buys at the supermarket. It is too sweet and no tang or interesting flavor.

Archived