Belize questions

Megan_Strick

I asked this on the Belize board but they dont get much action over there. What is there to do other than cave tubing and zip lining? My DH cant due those because of back problems. Is this a port that is better just site seeing rather than excursions?

I would AVOID the bus/city tour. We did that and it was hot, no AC on bus even though it was supposed, and not much to see IMO. I don't have much advice on what to do, but that is my 2 cents on something to avoid. You might do a search on the family board for Belize, there has been discussion on fun things to do with kids in Belize that may also interest you.

Check out the excursions on the Carnival website to give you some ideas, also.

We went on the Zoo and City tour excursion and liked it. We're going to Lamanai (Mayan ruins) on our next trip to Belize.

Another activity is snorkling, though your DH may not be able to do that.

Hubby

Check out the excursions on the Carnival website to give you some ideas, also.

We went on the Zoo and City tour excursion and liked it. We're going to Lamanai (Mayan ruins) on our next trip to Belize.

Another activity is snorkling, though your DH may not be able to do that.

Hubby and I loved Belize, but not sure we'd want to wander around town on our own.

I just booked the private beach break through Carnival. It's very inexpensive and lasts four hours. Just enough for me. Check Carnival's booking excusions to see if it's available on your cruise. We're cruising 2/1 on the Carnival Miracle.

barb65

Costa 1992

Carnival Victory 2004

Carnival Glory 2005

Carnival Miracle 2007

I just booked the private beach break through Carnival. It's very inexpensive and lasts four hours. Just enough for me. Check Carnival's booking excusions to see if it's available on your cruise. We're cruising 2/1 on the Carnival Miracle.

barb65

Costa 1992

Carnival Victory 2004

Carnival Glory 2005

Carnival Miracle 2007

We did this last year it was great! the tender took us straight to the private beach. It had some shopping (knock offs), the beach bar was nice, girls to braid hair, chairs are plentiful, the beach area was nice, and we rented a kayak and went around the whole island. Seen some sort of fish surface (sorry i forget the name of it but it was HUGE) Was well worth the price i think 45 - 50 bucks through the ship. Even had time to tender back to the ship and tender to Belize City and walk around and shop a bit. Just be ready for long lines to the tender back if you wait to long from belize city

I did the zoo and really enjoyed it. You get up close to the animals, but beware of the noseeums. If you are prone to being bitten by insects, use bug spray before you set foot off the bus. They are really bad at the zoo.

We were there a few years ago. We just wanted to relax and hit a beach. We left the port area and after being approached by a small mob of guys trying to get our business, we picked one would said he was a taxi driver and would take us to the nearest beach. After walking for 3 blocks or so out of the port, we came upon his "taxi". It was a early to mid 80's toyota something-or-rather, defenitely his personal car and defenitely not a licensed taxi. After getting in and having it not start, he had us get out and push it so he could pop the clutch and start it. After that, and on the way to the beach (about a 15 minute drive or so), he leans over into the back seat and tries to sell us some weed and/or cocaine. He also offered to get us some "special ladies", I'm not sure why since it was just me and my girlfriend at the time.

I don't remember the beach he took us to, but it was pretty decent and had a little bar with cheap beers. We arranged a time for him to return and pick us up and hung out there for about 4 hours or so. Lo and behold, he actually showed up at the arranged time ( I was assuming we'd have to find alternate transportation back) and got us back to the port fine. After meeting the rest of our group that did the cave tubing, they reported the bus they were on broke down and they had to wait an hour for a replacement bus to arrive (complete with bullet holes). While tubing, the water was really low and they had to continually get up and walk and carry their tubes over the shallow spots. They seemed very annoyed and in horrible moods, so I'm guessing we made the right decision in just going to the beach.

Keep in mind that the beach was nothing like you'd find elsewhere in the Caribbean... smaller, larger/rougher grains of darker sand, and the water wasn't very clear. I wouldn't go expecting a gorgeous beach, but it was nice and felt like we were in the middle of nowhere, which I appreciated. In fact, I think we were the only non-locals at that particular beach, and maybe only 25 people total.

I have cruised to Belize 2 times.

The first time I did the Snorkel/Goffs Caye. This might be a good option for you to look into. We got on the boat and the first stop it made was at Goffs Caye. We had the option of getting off the boat and spending the entire time at the beach and snorkeling from there or staying on the boat which took us out for about a 45 min snorkel before before bringing us back to Goffs Caye where we spent about another hour before returning to the ship. I did an early morning excursion which lasted about 4-5 hours total. i was back to the ship in time to have a bite to eat and then take a tender over to the port area for a bit.

The 2nd time I did the snorkel and beach break combo. Boat took us to spot to snorkel for a while then over to the beach where the beach break excursion is. After some time there we headed back to the ship.

I did both excursions through Carnival. The nice thing about booking through Carnival in Belize is that this is a port where you tender. If you book your excursion with them the tour boat picks you up right at the ship so you do not have to tender over to port and then get on another boat to the beach.

Several years ago on our first cruise, one of our ports was Belize. We hadn't booked an excursion and simply walked around the town (Belize City), down Queen Street and Albert Street. It was a very poor, depressed area, but we personally never felt threatened and the people were very friendly. We walked around a great indoor farmer's market; it had beautiful looking vegetables, homemade crafts, and baby chicks that my young daughter wanted to take home with us. We saw schoolchildren dressed in cute uniforms ordering snacks from a pushcart. So we did as they did and tried salty habenero green mangos from a street vendor; my husband loved it. We walked around and in a lovely old church, St. John's Cathedral at the end of Albert Street; it's the oldest Anglican church in Central America, built in the 1800's by slave labor. We really enjoyed ourselves.

If you do walk around, remember it is VERY hot - the nearest to the equator that I've ever been (17 degrees North of the Equator) - bring water and wear sunscreen and a hat. At the end of our day of walking we collapsed in our stateroom for a nap and ordered room service for dinner!

If you want a nice lunch near the port (2 blocks away) there is the Smokey Mermaid. One of my favorite restaurants. You can even order the lobster off the dinner menu at lunch time. Just google or yahoo this and there are pics and menus. It is a cool place. Outdoors in a beautiful courtyard setting.

I asked this on the Belize board but they dont get much action over there. What is there to do other than cave tubing and zip lining? My DH cant due those because of back problems. Is this a port that is better just site seeing rather than excursions?

I've never done any excursions in Belize other than the sightseeing tour of Belize City, and it is the only cruise port with which I have been totally disappointed. It is, and there is no nice way to say it, a total dump. Maybe the more recreational excursions are good, but Belize City itself is a write off.

I'd 2nd the Goff's Caye - the snorkeling right off the beach is great. It is this tiny little island. You can pull a picture of it up on www.webshots.com - I used it as a screen saver for weeks before we took our cruises.

Unless I was going cave tubing, which you are not, I would book through the cruise line. Outside the small fenced in port area (just a few shops - some cute, most cheezy), it is rough - lots of poverty.

We went Dec. 2007. I have a bad back. Actually 2 buldging disks. As you know walking is best thing for most, but not all back problems. We walked around for a while then took a horse and buggy tour through the city. We saw things we would not have seen if we had taken a tour bus or taxi. I wanted to see what life was really about.It was awesome. Be sure to "negotiate" the price. Friends of ours were with us, and the husband is really good at negotiating.We walked away went into some shops then came out to the same buggy owner and he dropped the price an hour later. He got the price down from $20 per person to $10.

Hope this helps.

Belize City is in fact not wealthy, not very scenic, but nowhere near as dangerous as a typical U.S. city. However an excursion is probably the best choice for most people.

There are 2 or 3 Mayan ruins tours from Belize City. The people who booked Lamanai will enjoy it - awesome trip up river to several pyramids in the jungle. You can climb one of them, 110 feet pretty much straight up. Altun Hai is closer. Xunantunich is very large, but requires a long cross-country bus ride.

The best beaches are on the offshore islands. Unless you want to take a chance on local craft, an excursion is the way to go.

Ziplining is also available, as are a couple of natural history options: zoo, baboon (howler monkey) reserve, etc.

We are going to Belize for the first time in April. I looked at the state dept. website regarding Belize and it seems to be fairly dangerous for tourists. We are doing the cave tubing dot com and atv. Should I be concerned for the safety of my family going outside the port area? Please don't flame me, I have travelled fairly frequently, but I will have a couple teen girls and my children with me and I don't want to go into an unsafe area. I wouldn't take them to certain parts of LA or NY either due to increased dangers. Your honest feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We are going to Belize for the first time in April. I looked at the state dept. website regarding Belize and it seems to be fairly dangerous for tourists. We are doing the cave tubing dot com and atv. Should I be concerned for the safety of my family going outside the port area? Please don't flame me, I have travelled fairly frequently, but I will have a couple teen girls and my children with me and I don't want to go into an unsafe area. I wouldn't take them to certain parts of LA or NY either due to increased dangers. Your honest feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Going on an excursion is different from just wandering off on your own. On your excursion you will travel outside the port area in a vehicle accompanied by a guide. The cave tubing is in a remote area far away from any areas of population where crime is likely to breed. The countryside reminds me of traveling through Appalachia thirty years ago; poor, but hardly perilous.

Even Belize City, though somewhat scruffy, isn't any bigger than an American town. There are criminals in the country but they are opportunistic and do not have free range. The government is aware of the value of tourist money and takes reasonably appropriate measures. You may see well-armed security personnel around the port and in checkpoints on the roads.

People of all ages take these excursions all the time. When you meet up with your guide you might mention your concerns briefly; he/she will keep you away from any areas that might make you uncomfortable. You likely won't see anything all that horrible even from the windows of your vehicle.

Thank you. I honestly had not given it a thought till my mother directed me to the state depts. website. There is a warning about the murder and assault crimes being alarmingly high in Belize city. I have read enough about the dot com group on this site to feel very safe with this excursion.

Thank you

We did a tour with Experience Belize group. It was a private tour but they had some problems early the previous day so our tour had to be outsourced. It was a rusty toyota camry with a cracked windshield and a leaky oil leak. The woman who took us was very information though and took us throughout the area. Enjoyed it. She then dropped us off at a enclosed beach area with a big slide and such. The water was cool but the food was good. She was there right when she told us she would.

Archived