What's a good book to read while on a cruise??....

gator2700

I like biographies and such. Not really into the romance novels. I do like mysteries too. Any suggestions? I'm going on a 7 day cruise with a forcast of rain, so I'll need to occupy my time with a book that will hold my interest for a while. :) Thanks

Titanic....

yada yada yada! :p

Not really biographies, but Lisa See has a couple novels Peony in Love & Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. They are more historical fiction. Set in China, loved both of them. She has a new book coming out in May and I have it on order for my June cruise!

Edited by arh53197

I like biographies and such. Not really into the romance novels. I do like mysteries too. Any suggestions? I'm going on a 7 day cruise with a forcast of rain, so I'll need to occupy my time with a book that will hold my interest for a while. :) Thanks

Three great fiction books I just read while on our cruise on the Pride (I am a fast reader):

The Jester by James Peterson

(medieval story about the life of a court jester)

The Chase by Clive Cussler

(1905 western detective thriller - Bourne Identity meets Wild,Wild,West)

Cross Country by James Peterson

(detective thriller used as a sounding off point about the plight of Nigerians - James Bond meets Blood Diamond)

The first can be had in paperback and the last one only in hardcover.

Give me a good mystery and I'm a happy girl! Anything by Robert B. Parker, Patricia Cornwell, Mary Higgins Clark, James Patterson, Sandra Brown, Jonathan Kellerman, Iris Johansen, J. A. Jance. Love Janet Evanovich's "number series"....first one called "One for the Money" ~ latest is "Fearless Fourteen". Another good series is by Diane Mott Davidson.....the main character is a caterer named Goldy and each book has a food related title with a play on words......like "Dark Torte", "Sticks & Scones"....fun books.

Good luck, and happy reading! :)

Just did a search on best spy books and the author John le Carre showed up consistently high on lists. Therefore, I am taking The Spy Who Came In From the Cold and also Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy. I am very excited to read both of them on my upcoming cruise.

Have you read Jenn Lancaster's books? They are autobiographical, and so stinkin' funny you think you're reading fiction. I highly recommend her. Her first book is "Bitter is the New Black" - and she's got 2 more after that one.

The book of Carnival drink recipes :D

Anything by Erik Larson or Tony Horowitz. Larson's Thunderstruck!is a true-life murder tale intertwined with Marconi's invention of the radio (sounds odd, but it's really good) and involves a Trans-Atlantic crossing. His Devil and the White City is about the 1893 World's Fair and a serial killer who was active at the time. Isaac's Storm is about the the 1900 Galveston Hurricane which was one of the most devastating storms in US history. Horowitz does this whole history-through-travel thing which is really great too. Confederates in the Attic is a meditation on the legacy and rememberance of the US Civil War as looked at through various people. It's funny, insiteful, but not too thinky. His Blue Lattitudes is a partial retracing of Captain James Cook's sailings around the world, from Tahiti to Alaska and his place in history and impact on the current cultures he touched.

ETA: If you're looking for fiction, there is always the Aubrey/Maturin series of nautical novels. 20 in total (the 21st was never finished before Patrick O'Brien's death). First book in the series is Post Captain. You might remember the characters from the movie "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the Ocean".

Edited by LemurCat

I am currently reading "Permanent Passanger: My Life on A Cruise Ship," A memoir by Micha Berman. It is about his life as an ACD on the Carnival Ecstasy. I'm finding it very interesting so far, and it sounds like it would be a good book to read on board a cruise!

Dead Man Docking a Fiction,Mary Daheim takes place on a cruise ship.

Ooohhhh, I love Mary Daheim's Bed and Breakfast mysteries! Judith and Renie and their mothers are a hoot :D.

Alegeeter mentioned the Permanent Passenger book, I'll suggest Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties. One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships by Brian David Bruns.

I love the mystery/crime/thrillers written by P.J. Tracy (a mother and daughter writing team). Their books Monkeewrench (A+), Live Bait (B), Dead Run (A+), and Snowblind (B). They have a new one coming out this year -yippee!!!!!

"THE DEVIL IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA"

The story of how Carnival, RCL, NCL and others came to be where they are today.

Should be required reading for all cruisers [at least those who can]:eek::D

Dan

I highly recommend "The Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love" by Jill Conner Brown. It's mostly about her life and it is so stinkin' funny! You'll get weird looks from people who wonder what your'e laughing out loud at. Conner Brown has several books after this one, but that one is my fave.