Low Cost outings - Skagway

freckledcat

What are some low cost outings in Skagway? We are only doing 2 excursions (Juneau and Ketchikan) but we love to explore on our own.

Thanks to another thread, I've already found out about the shuttle in Juneau.

So what about Skagway?

Our other option is we may rent a car but is there alot to do in SKagway, in walking distance?

Skagway has wonderful hiking trails of all difficulty levels from easy up to difficult, and a free historic walking tour by the NPS, but heading north by car or tour offers you an incredible variety of scenery as you head up my way. You're probably there for 134-14 hours so there are LOTS of possibilities. I was going to drive to Skagway today but the avalanche hazard is too high so I'll hold off a bit.

The best low-cost excursion out of Skagway is to rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake or Whitehorse. The second best is to get a ride with Dyea Dave out to Dyea and take the NPS guided walk and hike a couple of miles on the Chilkoot Trail.

Take a quick hike to Yakatania Point, which is more like a long walk from the cruise dock. You can access this area by crossing a footbridge on the other side of the airport. Just follow the footpath down to the water and you may find a family of seals basking in the sun.

Archived