Poutine in Vancouver???

I doubt that you will find either a good poutine or good smoked meat in Vancouver.... they likely don't have the original ingredients. Proper poutine is made with fresh Gouda (or sometimes Cheddar) cheese curds (not cheese and definitely NOT mozzarella). I just don't know if they have a dairy that is producing it fresh. It's curds, not cheese, so it doesn't really stay for very long. Most of the restaurants have to get it every day or two as part of the regular supply. The gravy... that I would think they could get anywhere.

As for smoked meat, well, that's a Montreal speciality. It's a smoked pickled brisket, like pastrami, but not exactly. The closest I have seen outside of Montreal (other than companies that import it straight from Montreal) is British salt beef. You have to remember that Montreal is a sort of foodie mecca. We are all about the food.

I love Vancouver, just not sure it's the place for a poutine, never mind a smoked meat sandwich. I was in Halifax and they were serving smoked meat on white bread with lettuce. Argh!

Now, while you are in Vancouver... no better place for a Bento box. Fantastic sushi and east asian cuisine. We had a wonderful Dimsum as well.

COSTCO FOR POUTINE!!!:eek:

Ok, AS a Australian French Canadian (i know crazy mix) I have to agree with the previous poster. Poutine anywhere out side Quebec, is just not the same at all.

The easy cheap translation is cheese and thick brown gravy....not many places use meat either. I live in Toronto but am in Vancouver every couple weeks...and i am sure you can find a local place selling poutine, and sure it will be good...but not like you had back in Quebec.

Vancouver you will get the best seafood, pan asian cuisine, sushi, and indian foods....

Vancouver is very different as BC is all about "vitality" etc...a lot of health conscious places etc...

Theres Great Korean BBQ all over VAN CiTY

hoppe it helps

Costco for poutine. Dunns in Montreal for smoked meat.

I doubt that you will find either a good poutine or good smoked meat in Vancouver.... I love Vancouver, just not sure it's the place for a poutine, never mind a smoked meat sandwich.

That's OK, I absolutely agree. In Vancouver we have wonderful restaurants, but like you, I probably wouldn't take the poutine or the Montreal smoked beef here. :p

I doubt that you will find either a good poutine or good smoked meat in Vancouver....

I have to agree with you Ephraim, and I've lived here all my life. If I were visiting from out of town I'd stick to our local fresh seafood - can't go wrong there.

Dave

Archived