How far to port?

Hi-We are sailing in May. Was wondering how far is it from the Orlando airport to the port? Also, we will be arriving the night before, any hotel suggestions?

I think it took the shuttle we booked about 45 minutes, maybe a little more, to drive us from the airport to the Radisson in Port Canaveral. The hotel was fine, had a restaurant next door and a shuttle to the port the next morning.

em

As others have said, the drive is about 45 minutes. It's a very easy drive, with one or two tolls to pay that total about $2. I've rented a car the 3 times I've done it and turned the car in at the port the next day. The Avis price was about $60 for a full size and about $90 for a minivan. This price varies as to time of year, so check ahead. Avis (and other agencies) will shuttle you to the port for free when you turn the car in.

There are nice options in Cocoa Beach, near Port Canaveral. Look at the forum for that area for some good options. You can arrive at night in Orlando, drive to CB, wake up and go play on the beach in the morning before you go to the ship, fun!

You wouldn't have enough time to do any of the Disney stuff in the morning.

It is an easy, straight drive.

It's 45 minutes. There is rarely much traffic, especially if you're sailing on Sundays. The most we ever encounter is about 5 minutes at the toll booth on 528.

Where there can be delays is if there are brush fires (common in the spring), if there is fog (less common), or if there is a big accident (even less common - knock wood!).

The port is a 45 minute to an hour ride from the airport. It is approx $100 each way for a taxi. I stayed at the Comfort Inn Cocoa Beach. They have a package deal that includes a ride from the airport to the hotel, a one night stay, ride from the hotel to the port, then a ride from the port to the airport after the cruise. I can't remember exactly what I paid, but I think it was around $180.00 for everything. This is a steal because a taxi ride is about $100 each way. The hotel was clean, had a nice pool area, and was right next to ron jon surf shop, cocoa beach surf co and a few restaurants. Its one or two blocks up from the beach.

Depending upon your arrival time into Orlando Airport the night before; we have always 'bid' for a hotel room and received a room at the Hotel (Hyatt) right there. It's VERY convenient and relaxing to just arrive and go to your room for the night. (I've done this 3 times so far) Last week we did this when one of the people in our group did not arrive until 11:30 pm...so easy.

Then we pick up the car we reserved and head for the port in the morning. This time we did get the car for one-way, each way.. since the parking at the port went up to $15.00/day. And as said before, they shuttle you between the rental co. and the port.

Enjoy your cruise!

(I've bid $55 and always got the same hotel...I've never had the nerve to bid lower....don't know why...)

My favorite hotel in Coco Beach is the Residence Inn because it is very well-kept and has a friendly staff. I've rented a car with Budget twice, dropped it off at the Coco Beach location just down the road from the hotel and port, and then taken their free shuttle over to the port.

Archived