[Current] Rate for Cruise Gratuities

ShopperfiendTO

Hi,

I checked the last 8 pages of threads but nothing seemed to be on topic so here's my question.

Does anyone know what the current rates for gratuities are? I seem to recall it's $12.50pp/day but it might have changed?

What time of the year does Oceania usually "adjust" (increase) the amounts in the final bill? That is, if it is in fact $12.50pp/day right now, will it be this rate for cruises scheduled to sail in November or in 2010 as well?

Thanks!

You are correct - the current amount added to the room account is $12.50 per day and that is per person. However, if you are have butler service in your suite, an additional $4.00 per day per person is added. There is also an 18% service added to beverage service.

And I would be very hesitant to attempt to answer your question as to what it might be in the future! That's the equivilant of asking "what will be the price of gas in 2010, or what will be the price of eggs". :)

Thank you both for your replies!

Rickey 88, I wasn't really asking for speculation when I asked the question. I guess the question I was trying to ask (which isn't answered in the FAQ) is:

"Does Oceania keep the gratuities rate for all of the itineraries in one sailing 'collection'?"

For example, will all of the sailings in the "Europe 2009" collection have this rate even though the last sailing is in November? If they won't, then it seems that it may be changed on a whim... in which case, does this mean that passengers will never truly know what the rate actually is until they get the final bill a day or so before disembarkation? Does Oceania provide some kind of notice of any upcoming increase (other than stating it in the travel documents sent a few weeks before the trip)?

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to put a concrete value on "free gratuities" lure for a late 2009 sailing (versus something like a "$X ship board credit" - yes I know that SBCs may be applied against the gratuities, thanks!).

I suppose it might also help to know when the last increase was implemented and what the rate was prior to the increase.

"Does Oceania keep the gratuities rate for all of the itineraries in one sailing 'collection'?"

I think it does

Does Oceania provide some kind of notice of any upcoming increase (other than stating it in the travel documents sent a few weeks before the trip)?

I believe they do notify you and your TA. You can sign up for their weekly newsletters

I suppose it might also help to know when the last increase was implemented and what the rate was prior to the increase.

I have an old brochure 2007- 2008 Winter collection ..it was $11.50 & $3.50 then (last cruise April 2008)

Thank you for your reply LHT28!:)

Here's hoping that you're right that it's the same for the collection... it would add certainty to trip planning, and it does seem that the rates are listed in the brochure so what's actually charged should be what's stated in it.

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to put a concrete value on "free gratuities" lure for a late 2009 sailing (versus something like a "$X ship board credit" - yes I know that SBCs may be applied against the gratuities, thanks!).

If you are getting the free gratuities then I would not worry

It is still a good perk and you can always tip extra if you choose

The crew earn the Gratuities & then some.

I have not seen many crew that do not go above & beyond...there may be some but I have not seen them ;)

Well, if you've booked one of the newly published discounted itineraries which also include free gratuities and a stateroom credit provided by Oceania, and if your travel agent always comps the gratuities, I guess the travel agent might want to provide a stateroom credit in the amount of the gratuities. However, in any case, if the gratuities are being comped to you by either the cruise line or your travel agent it doesn't really matter exactly how much they're going to be.

Archived