Screw's Natural Sulphur Spa

lotro

I would like my husband to experience the Champagne Reef, and snorkel, but I am a very weak swimmer and do not snorkel. Is there any kind of beach there where I can relax while he snorkels? And is there a place I can just wade in the water to cool off?

It does not matter that you are not a strong swimmer, or a swimmer at all. You wear a life vest, it is some of the most fabulous snorkeling you will ever do. We have snorkeled over 30 years and this is sooo very different than other places. You can also stay at a table and chair where you enter the park and wait or sit on the board walkway that you take to get to the water. It is great, have fun!

The lady that is the guide is also a scuba teacher and very knowleadgeable of the area. She was great, showed us so much that we did not know and had never seen before. I think we paid her $5 each to go out with us. Your husband will have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

"Another person in our group is in a wheelchair. Is any part of the spa accessible? "

The short answer is no. Indeed, unless things have changed considerably since my last visit, there was a rather long, narrow flight of stairs that needed to be navigated prior to reaching the cabana at the head of the pools. While there is a nice sitting area and a bar above, I don't recall any actual means to get someone in a wheelchair into the pools.

Since the word "sulphur" is in the description of Screw's, I was wondering if it has any unpleasant sulphur odor? I haven't seen anyone mention that. Just curious. Also, do you need to rinse off after you have been in the pools? Is there somewhere to rinse off?

How often do you get to experience 6 natural hotspring pools? Go enjoy. Don't fret the small stuff and no you won't stink after it. It's fantastic

There was only the slightest scent of sulfur that I could detect while at the spa. The only time the smell was noticeable was when we sought it out. Specifically there were tiny veins of sulfure on the rock where the hot spring water ran down into the pool. Holding my nose close enough to feel the heat of the water was the only time I really noticed an odor.

As far as rinsing off after, well I don't recall showers per se, though they did have nice and clean bathroom and changing facilities. Again, despite the coloration of the water and the fact they are sulfur pools, we neither stank nor felt soiled after exiting the water. It is possible there is a shower somewhere, I just never used one nor felt particularly inclined to seek one out.

Archived