Dawn Princess Computer Access

shellie100

Hello, I will be traveling on the Dawn Princess next week and I was wondering about computer access. My understanding is that she does not currently have a computer lab, but rather there are laptops to rent/borrow. 1) Has anyone used these laptops? 2) Would it be better to bring my own laptop? 3) How much did they charge for network access?

I won't be conducting official business, but rather simply checking email and downloading pix (probably while my toddler naps in the afternoons).

Thanks in advance for any info you all can provide.

Shellie

- a newbie cruiser - first cruise next week :D :D :D

I was on the Dawn in '03 and I could swear I saw a computer area. I may be wrong about that but I do know that the pursers desk rents laptops. They are wireless and work within the atrium. I used them on severl occasions and had no problems doing my emails and such. I am sorry but I can't remember the cost exactly but it was typical.

I hope you enjoy your time on the Dawn as much as I did :)

The Dawn Princess has a small computer lab near the spa area. It has around 7 computers or so. On our cruise, there was never a waiting time to use the computers so 7 computers must have been the right number. This computer area used to be called the "business center" and had limited hours. Princess has since opened the room up and except for the first day, the room was open 24 hours a day through out my 2 week cruise.

There are also IBM Thinkpad laptops that can be checked out and used with WIFI access in the atrium. I am not a fan of IBM Thinkpads, so I used the lab as much as possible.

I can't remember how much internet was - on Princess ships it seems to vary from ship to ship between .35/minute to .50/minute. It is free for Platinum members. I wouldn't bother bringing your laptop - the WIFI in the atrium was closed to the public - you had to use their laptops to have access to the wireless network.

Hope this helps.

Shellie,

There is a business center on the Dawn we have used it each time we sailed her. You'll find it on Riviera ,Deck 12 Aft. It is open 24 hours a day. There are about 6-8 computers there and access to a printer. You can also get a laptop from the Pursers Desk as well. Sorry I don't know the fee.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

We were on the Dawn Princess in early October. As mentioned above, the computers are located on Deck 12, right across from the entrance to the spa and open 24 hours. The cost is 50 cents per minute. The time starts once you swipe your card and you are charged, even if you don’t connect (unless you are a Platinum or Elite Captain’s Circle member).

There were times when only a few computers would connect. I waited more than five minutes twice on the first day to connect with no luck. I suggest that before swiping your card, you log onto the free Princess site. If you connect there, that indicates that the computer is working and you can then swipe your card and log onto the internet. If you don’t connect to the Princess site, try other computers until you find one that does. It will save you time and money.

Jim

Does anyone know the cost for use of the ships laptops.....Free for platium members???

Thanks..... for all the info I have been on the Island and Star both with more then a dozen computers available. Star has an actual room full of computers!

The cost of the laptop use is the same as using the desktop computers (either .35/minute or .50/minute). It is free for Platinum users.

The only negative about the laptops is that you have to sign a waiver saying you are resposible for $2xxx in case you break it. I always fear carrying it from the Purser's desk to the bar area to use.

Seastar - with the Dawn being an older ship, it is not equipped as well as the Island and Star for internet access (these ships were built with internet centers in prime locations). It does serve its purpose and I was able to use the internet daily to communicate back home.

The cost of the laptop use is the same as using the desktop computers (either .35/minute or .50/minute). It is free for Platinum users.

Coral,

That's great to know. I always thought that (just assumed, actually) Platnium had to pay for the WiFi laptops. Thanks for the heads up...

Coral,

That's great to know. I always thought that (just assumed, actually) Platnium had to pay for the WiFi laptops. Thanks for the heads up...

This is where it gets a little strange. I have used Princess' laptops on Grand, Sun and Dawn Princess and was not charged (because I am Platinum).

Now, if you use your own laptop on some of the newer ships that have WIFI open to the public (Diamond, Island and Sapphire come to mind), even if you are Platinum - you have to pay.......

Archived