Milk for the airport (toddler)

SimplyAddicted

From the TSA's website http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm

Medications, baby formula and food, breast milk, and juice are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Click here to learn more about 3-1-1

All items including formula, breast milk, and juice will be inspected, however, you or your infant or toddler will not be asked to test or taste breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) for explosives.

I just thought about how I can make sure that my daughter has milk for our time in the airport and on the flight. Since they don't allow liquids, how can I make sure she has milk for our travels?

Once you get thru security, you can buy milk at any of the food areas in the terminal and bring on the plane, no questions asked. For security reasons you can't bring liquids from outside the airport thru security but once you get thru security you are all set.

For my kids, I have done the following:

1. Bring formula (in powder, pre-portioned and packed in small ziplock bags), and buy or ask for water after going thru security.

2. Bring milk in single-serve (8-oz) cartons.

Both worked for me well. Good luck.

You can buy milk at any food place in the terminal and they have milk onboard the flights just ask the flight attendants. You can also buy non-perishable milk in cartons (like the juice cartons with a straw) in the grocery store. Look for it near the evaporated milk section. Horizon and Bordon both make them, they dont have to be refridgerated until opened. We sometimes pack these for DD for port days.

Yes, I recently flew with my son, and we took two bottles full of milk in his diaper bag, and put them out in the plastic tray for running through the machine, but no one said anything or gave us any problems. These were 4 ounce bottles rather than 8 ounce bottles. I think when you actually have a baby with you, people are much more accomodating.

You can get milk in the airport but I don't think you can get it on the airplane- so purchase some in the airport (after security) and put it insulated bag with ice (purchased from concessions). Have plenty on hand in case you are stuck on the runway or have some other snaffoo.

when we flew with our son last fall, we just brought empty bottles and bought milk after passing through security. Practically every airport in America has a Starbucks or other coffee shop and they have milk of every variety imaginable (whole, 2%, nonfat, soy...), so I can't imagine having a problem getting milk in the airport--they'll even steam it for you so you can serve it warm if you want (just be careful to check the temp before giving it to the child, since sometimes they heat it very hot--and remember, you can usually ask to have it not too hot).

We were also able to get milk on the plane itself--this was on Alaska Airlines--but you never know which airline will have beverage services and which won't these days, and sometimes it'll take a long time for the beverage service to actually get to you, so I'd advise buying a very large container of milk when you're in the airport terminal just in case.

Up until age 3, TSA will let the child take a beverage through security. Just pull it out at the screening and tell them that it's for the infant/small child. After age 3, they'll have to wait until inside security like everyone else.

On our last four flights since our daughter has switched to milk I have brought my freezer bag with ice pack, with two 8oz bottles of milk in it through security. I then also usually purchase some milk once past security because you can't count on the planes for anything nowadays!

Archived