departure fee from Santiago, Chile

cruisin'grandparents

I know there is any entry tax into Santiago (from the USA) but if we dock at Valparaiso on a cruise from Buenos Aires' date=' is there a tax to depart from Santiago back to USA. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks[/quote']

There is an international departure tax but typically included in your fare particularly if you are using a US carrier.

I know there is any entry tax into Santiago (from the USA) but if we dock at Valparaiso on a cruise from Buenos Aires' date=' is there a tax to depart from Santiago back to USA. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks[/quote']

It's not actually an entry tax, but a reciprocity fee aimed at those countries that charge a similar amount for Chileans to enter their country. I say good for the Chileans!! It's about time some of the smaller countries of the world stood up. I understand that Brazil also fingerprints US citizens entering the country for the same reasons!

Yes there is. Once you get into your flight at the gate and they take your luggage and give you the boarding passes they will direct you to the tax lane. It was $18-$20 usd to fly out. I just did this on November 24th and I was flying on Continental.

It's not actually an entry tax, but a reciprocity fee aimed at those countries that charge a similar amount for Chileans to enter their country. I say good for the Chileans!! It's about time some of the smaller countries of the world stood up. I understand that Brazil also fingerprints US citizens entering the country for the same reasons!

Yes there is a reciprocity fee if you were to arrive by air at Santiago. However, the OP is arriving by ship at Valparaiso and flying home from Santiago. The reciprocity fee is not collected in Valparaiso. However, there is a departure tax like most airports.

The airport fee is collected on your plane ticket. The reciprocity fee is only collected if you fly into Valpariso (and not through... since we connected to BsAs and didn't have to pay it.) Arriving to Chile by boat saves you the reciprocity fee. (And it's payable not only by Americas but also. Australians pay U$61, Canadians pay U$132 and Mexicans U$23.

Archived