Live Grand Jan 16 to Feb 13

vickie_bernie

here is another live thread from the Grand.

We are doing the Jan 16th sailing as well as the Jan 30th sailing.

We arrived at the port at 12:30 and we were onboard at 12:45. We did get on a little quicker because we are Platinum so we didn't wait in the long line outside the dock and when we cleared the security we were able to get crusie cards and board right away. We did notice that others had been given a number and were told to wait for their number to board.

HC was a zoo so we ended up just grabbing a burger.

Our cabin is C747 AFT and our steward is Joel, don't know if he is the same as Kodiac but he sure is good so far.

Definately register for internet on the first day as you get a bonus 30 minutes when you get a package. For Platinum/Elite you get 250 min package plus the bonus.

There is a large group from CC here and I invite them to add to this thread.

Any question, I will try and answer the best I can.

Cheers

Vickie

We arrived at the port at 12:30 and we were onboard at 12:45. We did get on a little quicker because we are Platinum so we didn't wait in the long line outside the dock and when we cleared the security we were able to get crusie cards and board right away. We did notice that others had been given a number and were told to wait for their number to board.

Our cabin is C747 AFT and our steward is Joel, don't know if he is the same as Kodiac but he sure is good so far.

Definately register for internet on the first day as you get a bonus 30 minutes when you get a package. For Platinum/Elite you get 250 min package plus the bonus.

Cheers

Vickie

Here we go again! Can't wait for all the posts. Have a grrrrreat cruise. :D

Vickie

Have a fantastic time and thanks for starting the new "live" thread so quickly.

We are onboard 27th Feb. Can you let us know if there are any better deals on the internet packages after today. Reason being is that on previous cruises we have noticed that more minutes were offered free a few days into a cruise.

We look forward to reading the posts over the next few weeks, but don't let it ruin your holiday. ENJOY.

Pete.

Cheers

Vickie

Error

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to reading your posts Vickie, and meeting up with you on Jan. 30 !!:)

Dot: One Question - Is is Done Yet!? :D "private joke" :D

Vickie! Please have the sun and hot weather waiting for us! We're in a deep freeze over here - Minus 31C tonight! It will take us a day, or two to thaw out once we get there!

Cheers

Vickie

Hi Vickie: As we haven't started packing........would you be able to confirm the # of formal nights on your cruise and if possible find out if would it be the same on the 30th cruise?

Thanks

Michael

Complimentary Internet Packages

Each Platinum Member will receive a credit towards the purchase of a package in our Internet Cafés or on a personal laptop! Our current internet packages onboard have now been expanded fleetwide to include wireless internet!

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less (equivalent to 150 minute package)

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days (equivalent to 250 minute package)

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days (equivalent to two 250 minute packages)

You can use your credit towards a larger package if necessary, or enjoy all those minutes - compliments of the Princess Captain's Circle!

Hi Vickie: As we haven't started packing........would you be able to confirm the # of formal nights on your cruise and if possible find out if would it be the same on the 30th cruise?

Thanks

Michael

Vickie, could you ask about 2/13 formal nights also! Also on the last live from the Grand they said wireless did not work well, if at all. If you do not use wireless could you ask someone who does if it is working?

thanks

Enjoy! We just got off....if we hurry could we get back on? Ya thinK?

WiFi had come back the last couple days...but available on Deck 5 only. So still do not have all the bugs worked out yet. Changed the system over to new one during the wet dock...for the last 28 days I and many others wished they could change back.

After 61 days on board....we feel like it is OUR ship! Ya'll take care of it! We will be back one day. It was wonderful.

Have fun, and I will be following your thread.

Vickie have a great time and just walked in the door and unpacked two bags.

-25C temp and reminds me of Grand Turk! Ya Right.

Ordered fast food as a long trip so pizza which I may have had 10x on board.

Phyl/Jim are you still in Lauderdale?

Flew over the Grand leaving and it was a sight to see.

Enjoy

Hey Vickie............. Lucky you guys being on a cruise. It's sooooo foggy here that you can't see across the street!!! It was supposed to be sunny this weekend, but you have to go up the mountain to get any sun!!!

I'm sure you guys will have a fantastic cruise. I've got to wait 9 mths for ours:(

I'm really looking forward to reading you "live" updates!!

Safe Cruising

Day 2

Here are some answers (hopefully I can remember all the questions as I am a little hung over - just can't handle 3 drinks anymore)

Internet - for 14 days Platinum and Elite are entitled to $100 credit which is equivalent to 250 minutes - first day bonus of 30 min for total of 280 minutes. I see that this am (6 am) the computer is still offerring the bonus wether it goes thru I don't know.

Wifi is avail. I don't have my laptop so I can't check it out but word is that it is avail, and can even be accessed from staterooms. I believe Kodiac posted that too on last sailing.

The internet seems faster than normal - better not speak too quickly.

On this sailing there are THREE formal nights! Yes Three. I should of brought the patters to refer to but I forgot so I will try and remember. I know today (1st sea day is).

We have the old television in our cabin, but I actually like it because I can plug my DVD player into it a lot easier with the jacks at the front. but can't seem to remove the channel display - as remote only has minimal options and no button on screen to remove.

The ship - well she isn't new, but she is Beautiful! Everything is very neat and well kept up. Sure she has a few knicks and scratches but that only adds character. It does look like we have a lot of new carpet, even in our cabin.

Our meet and greet is today - we had a huge group show up yesterday at Oasis bar, unfortunately sailaway was overcast with light showers then a quick downpour... a light rain jacket is a good thing to pack. The bar there was open and we all huddled under the skywalkers walkway... but it was a great location as there were not too many other people around just us crazy CC group.

There is no seafood buffet the first night like some of the other ships. Even though I knew it was unlikely it was still sad, but they said there is a seafood buffet on the second to last night, so I will check it out.

We do miss the Piazza - and after sailing on the Emerald then the Star that have the International Cafe and Vines we are finding it odd to look at the Tour desk, and library where the Vines and cafe should be. What is Bernie to do without his warm cookies.

I did notice that the Sanctuary has a bigger space in the sun. If it gets warm enough this afternoon that is where we will be.

Dinner last night was very good, the menus are different from November's Star cruise- I had the fish (Baramundi - i think that is how you spell it) of course some items on the menu were the same. Oh my Nov cruise friends that are here -- just to let you know I had the Volcano for dessert!!! Everyone at the table was evnious.

Age group - well everyone keeps saying how the demographics appear older - but I thought it was a pretty good mix. My last sailing on the Star was a huge group of people mainly above 80 - this seems to be a good balance. However there are only 13 kids on board!! So Hansel (who is on next sailing with us) your daughter might not have a lot of company.

Tour desk - we have booked mainly our own excursions but I have noticed that the tours have been filling up very quickly so for future sailors - may want to preregister or sign up asap.

Funny sight for the day - while enjoying a nice quiet breakfast in HC this am (at 6 AM) a lady came in and was commenting that she needs to get some lounge chairs but said it was too windy and they wouldn't let her out the back door because of the wind gusts disturbing the dinners. I said why are you going out so early... she said "well this ship is busy and I want to garauntee a good spot" I just laughed to myself and said okay.

There are signs all around the pool deck about reserving chairs. But I have a feeling the same inconsiderate people who hog chairs for hours are not able to read either.

Well off to enjoy the day.

Would like to know about wireless - WiFi - too. Well be on Grand 2/13 and can't wait for some warm weather. It does get cold here in Alabama.

I have wireless g in my cabin. It's slow, but a solid connection. (Now I've likely just gone and cursed myself!).

We're in C709.

Pete

Good Morning Vickie & Bernie!

Hope the weather is kind to you all on the Grand. Unlike what we are experiencing. I think, we have gone back to the ice age. Last night I had to rescue hubby, as he was frozen midway from our front door to his truck! :cool: <----that's what he looked like! It was minus 31C (minus 17F) bloody cold!!!

Looking forward in reading more of your posts! Did you have to wait long for a computer? Is the interent fast, or does it eat away at your minutes?

Don't forget......Your on Vacation! So, ENJOY!

See you SOON!

Heather & Gerry:cool:

Thanks for posting a 'live from', I can really enjoy the memories now through what you are experiencing.

can you tell me if the beds are still hard as rocks... i have ordered an egg crate. thanks.

Just off the ship yesterday.

Sorry to say but 'yes' the beds are as hard as ever (at least we found it this way). We had three egg crate toppers and after a few days, even they didn't help a lot, as they are now only about 1" thick. :(

Next time, the extra suitcase we bring will have a memory foam topper for our use brought with us.

It was the only good thing about coming back to this cold last night, a comfortable bed. ;)

Hi Vickie, great reports. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Bruce and I so wish we were sailing with you again - it's a balmy 13 degrees (F) here in Boston right now. But believe it or not I wouldn't refuse a volcano if you put one in front of me. :eek:

Poor Bernie - no warm cookies? :( What's a man to do? Oreo cookie martinis perhaps?

If you spot a Head Waiter named Douw, please tell him Sharon and Bruce say hello. He started his new contract on the 16th so I'm not sure which dining room, but heck you should be able to find him over the next 28 days. ;)

Do you have a "formal" roll call M&G today?

Archived