Live Grand Jan 16 to Feb 13

vickie_bernie

Glad to hear everyone is home safely. We really miss you guys posting live and can't wait to see your pictures.

Vickie...we are headed to Vancouver in August for our Alaska cruise tour. Unfortunately we will be flying into Seattle and then take the Princess shuttle to Vancouver the next day to meet the ship so we don't get to spend any time there. We are really looking forward to seeing your neck of the woods and doing something different. It is so hot here in the midwest during August so it will be nice to get away from that for a couple of weeks.

Take care and stay tuned in March for live posting from us when we board the Grand. Can't wait!

that is too bad you won't be spending any time in our great city... but at least you can say you were here. When in August are you going?

August can be pretty hot here too, but thankfully Vancouver usually gets a good breeze from the ocean. Happy sailing.

Thanks for allowing me to share my experiences on board with all of you. I hope everyone who sails on her has just a great a time as we did.

Vickie & Bernie

Once again, you did a great "LIVE FROM". Thanks for sharing your b2b experience with us and kept us cruising for 28 days along with you.:D:D:D

We loved our cruise on the Emerald in November! Please let me know how you compare the Grand to the Emerald. We did book the Grand for a Xmas cruise in December 2009 and are having second about it.

Thanks for your help.

Well good question, first don't cancel the Grand... she is a beautiful ship and she feels much more intimate than the Emerald. I found the crew on the Grand to be even better (but I did spend 28 days with them as oppossed to only 20 with them on the Emerald)

Preferred the food on the Grand - but that is a personal choice

Preferred the Chef's table on the Grand

Loved that the Grand is smaller and didn't take as long to get around

The library on the Grand is nicer and places to sit comfortably, the Emeralds is just mainly shelfs of books and a boardroom table.

Less movement of ship on the Grand may be because it has one less deck and not so top heavy.

Less people on Grand and therefore less crowds, which made getting around the ship much easier.

Much prefferred the layout of the Vista lounge on the grand, it could accommodate more people and you were able to see the stage. The Emerald's vista lounge is horrible and little seating.

The Grand had less places for people to smoke in lounges, only lounge that had smoking was Wheelhouse bar or Snookers Bar. On the Emerald they could also smoke in Vista Lounge (but this may of changed by now.)

Now prefererances on the Emerald are, more space in the sun decks; however never had trouble getting a spot on either ship.

MUTS is much better on the Emerald as ship was built for it.

Love the Cafe Caribe on Emearld

Missed the International Cafe and Vines on Emerald (note the Grand will be getting this but not before your sailing)

Emerald is newer - but the Grand has character (like us older women)

Kids section on Emerald was bigger and better (in my opinion)

Sabatinis is in a nicer location on the Emerald.

Okay, not everyone is going to agree with me, but this is how I saw things. Add your thoughts too.

I am sure whichever ship you choose you will like.

We loved our cruise on the Emerald in November! Please let me know how you compare the Grand to the Emerald. We did book the Grand for a Xmas cruise in December 2009 and are having second about it.

Thanks for your help.

I have to agree with everything Vickie pointed out when comparing the Grand and Emerald.

The lack of Cafe Caribe allows more outside tables at the aft of the vessel, but you lose the themed buffet.

I'm sure the menu plans are similar on both vessels, but the Grand's presentation and preparation gets the nod. This may be entirely due to the preparation, as no doubt the supply stream is the same.

The Princess theater seems to be more accomodating on the Grand, albeit having to seat potentially 500 less passengers gives her an edge.

Every time I spoke with a Princess employee on the Grand, from cabin stewards, to waiters, the buffet chefs, to the Captain, there is an incredible sense of pride in their work, and the vessel.

Yes, the Grand is ageing, but not rundown.

I sailed the brand-spanking-new Ruby last November, and IT rattled and squeeked... the Grand is quiet, and still stands well as the flagship of it's class.

Vickie, can you tell me if they used the same menus, in the same order, on both of your B2B cruises?

I am trying to decide which night to order the Ultimate Balcony Dining and would use your menu descriptions to help make my choice. I would not want to miss lobster night, or chateaubriand night, or crab claw night, or veal scallopini night.... It sure is a good thing you did not describe the food for all 14 nights or I would not want to miss any!

If any of our ports are cancelled I would be very disappointed because of all the interesting plans we have made, but I don't understand how people could expect Princess to compensate them for bad weather. If that were the case we Canadians could expect weekly compensation cheques from the gov. :D

Do you remember if the Hozion Court had a Seafood Buffet one night.

YES

The night we were in La Romana (formal night - lobster on the menu in dining room) HC had Lobster claws and shrimp.

Then the next night when we were in Grand Turk (dining room had crab legs) HC had lobster claws and crab legs and shrimp!

:p

Vickie, can you tell me if they used the same menus, in the same order, on both of your B2B cruises?

I am trying to decide which night to order the Ultimate Balcony Dining and would use your menu descriptions to help make my choice. I would not want to miss lobster night, or chateaubriand night, or crab claw night, or veal scallopini night.... It sure is a good thing you did not describe the food for all 14 nights or I would not want to miss any!

If any of our ports are cancelled I would be very disappointed because of all the interesting plans we have made, but I don't understand how people could expect Princess to compensate them for bad weather. If that were the case we Canadians could expect weekly compensation cheques from the gov. :D

Yes the menus were the same for each sailing. Lobster was the last formal night, crab legs was the night we were in Grand Turk. Can't remember the other nights but I am sure I wrote about it.

Yes any cancellation is disappointing, but it is a chance you take and safety is more important. Even though grand turk is beautiful and it is a beach day, you can still enjoy the sun on the ship. But I will keep my fingers crossed for your sailing. We were credited the port charges for Grand Turk (I think it was $12)

Yes in Vancouver this winter we needed compensation from the government with all the snow we got in Dec so we can buy that second snow plow :p

We enjoyed our cruise .Very relaxing and I like having to have shows early.The company on the Cheft's Table was GREAT.Our Cabin Stewart was terrfic.The feeling of the ship was wonderful.For those following us we loved the trip to Bequia.A trip to remember.Next year ....we hope.Kathe

A BIG thank you Vickie Bernie from so many people who loved hearing all about your trip and info on the Grand. Our Cruise Critic meet and greet will be talking about you in a few days. We leave this Friday on the Grand and with out your reports we would not be so well informed. Sweet Sally from Cheney, Wa ( Use to be the Seahawks training football camp but they left us last year. !!!)

We're on the Grand Princess now and have had the best food in the HOrizon Court each night. Tonight was our last formal night and they had boiled shrimp, lobster claws (they wre large), beef wellington and chicken tenders. The German night was last night and I thought it was excellent german food. Hoping they have seafood one more night like Vickie had. We missed St Kitts due to high winds and had about $6 credited back to each of our room charges.

Vicki, enjoyed reading your "Live" from. Now we get to finally meet each other on the Alaska cruise.;)

I did get some helpful info on certain areas in the Caribbean as we plan to go next year on the ruby. Again thanks.

Marilyn

Vicki, enjoyed reading your "Live" from. Now we get to finally meet each other on the Alaska cruise.;)

I did get some helpful info on certain areas in the Caribbean as we plan to go next year on the ruby. Again thanks.

Marilyn

Hey marilyn - glad i could help and isn't it cool that you meet on line and then you get to sail together. It has been fun seeing old faces on this thread that we had sailed with in the past too. My cruise family only gets bigger and better

looking forward to my first time to Alaska, knowing me i will do a live thread from there too.

Hey marilyn - glad i could help and isn't it cool that you meet on line and then you get to sail together. It has been fun seeing old faces on this thread that we had sailed with in the past too. My cruise family only gets bigger and better

looking forward to my first time to Alaska, knowing me i will do a live thread from there too.

Hey go for it. I know that TonyFred is on the cruise before us and he said the was going to do a live from too. I think everyone wants to know what changes will be made on the Golden.

Marilyn

Marilyn, are you hijacking this thread:D, love ya girl. Miss you and only wish we were sailing with you again soon but hopefully next year.:D

Debbie,Debbie, Debbie, no I am not hijacking this thread.:D Maybe we will sail again next year. You know what ship I will be on next March.;)

Marilyn

Archived