Live Grand Jan 16 to Feb 13

vickie_bernie

Vickie: Thanks for the time you spend keeping us up to date on changes and/or rumors about new TV's, coffee, formal nights, internet, etc. We are certainly impressed with the Captain and number of crew who attended your M&G....I haven't attended a M&G where the Captain attended. Someone in your group talked nicely, methinks. I think I counted close to 80 who said they would be at our M&G on the next leg of your journey.....so get ready; you will have an audience.

I imagine that there many passengers who have stopped water sports for one reason or another, the group on this board is ready to go however. Jim and I will be two in the older group who love a great time with great conversations and sight seeing. We will love to hear your stories of the beautiful fish you see.

Thank you again.......Laura

I've read a few posts where people have said that they requested the mattress toppers in advance. Can you do this "on line" or must you call Princess? On the Coral they ran out of them and if people are requesting two and three of them, it may happen again. Thanks everyone for all the posts. Its so nice that you all take time from your vacation to help us prepare for our turn. What a great bunch of people. :)

I've read a few posts where people have said that they requested the mattress toppers in advance. Can you do this "on line" or must you call Princess? On the Coral they ran out of them and if people are requesting two and three of them, it may happen again. Thanks everyone for all the posts. Its so nice that you all take time from your vacation to help us prepare for our turn. What a great bunch of people. :)

We request our egg crate in advance, sometimes it's in place when we arrive, other times it's placed on the bed at turn down.

Either way here's the number we use. BTW Our TA also puts in a request.

Egg Crate: 661-284-4745

What we noticed, on the last cruise, is that they have changed the egg crate toppers now. Where they used to be several inches thick and one took care of the hard mattress problem, the new ones are barely 1" thick now and barely resemble the egg crate mattress pads of the past. One on the beds doesn't do a thing, you can't even tell it's there. I searched and tried to find a picture of the new ones online, but can't even find a picture of the thin little foam pads.

We had three, and still it didn't make that much of a difference after awhile. Not sure what Princess was thinking when they switched to these little thin ones that honestly don't help much at all if you don't like an extra firm mattress. :(

Carnnival Corp. owns both Princess and Carival cruise lines (and several others), operating each as a seperate subsidiary.

If you have been a past passenger on any of the Carnival Corp owned lines, you can get past passenger rates on the other brands they own.

Be aware that each brand has its own loyalty program (such as Princess Captain's Circle), and the benefits of one brand's program do not carry other to any of the other brands' programs.

Also, if you are a stockholder in CCL (Carnival Corp.), you can ghet an on board credit for any sailing on any of the brands. To get this, you must request it and provide proof of ownership of at least 100 shares in advance of the cruise.

Thank you, for the information!

What is the past passenger rate? Would it be a % off the cost, or a dollar amount?

We are planning on taking the whole family of ours - three adult kids & 2 grandchildren, plus the two of us - next time around. Would I be able to get the discount on them as well?

:)

What is the past passenger rate? Would it be a % off the cost, or a dollar amount?

:)

Each cruise will have its own past passenger rate which will be a marketing decision no doubt based on what they think they can sell on that voyage. I know of no rule of thumb for figuring it out.

Hi Vickie and Bernie,

Steve and Lisa are sailing today on the beautiful Emerald Princess. The wedding on Saturday was amazing.

Tom and I are sailing to Mexican Riviera next Saturday on the Holland America Oosterdam, can't wait.

Have a great trip.

Irene.:)

Tom and I are sailing to Mexican Riviera next Saturday on the Holland America Oosterdam, can't wait.

Have a great trip.

Irene.:)

Lucky you! The Oosterdam was one of my unexpected surprises - one of the best cruises I've ever been on - a beautiful ship. Enjoy!

We are sailing on the Grand on February 27. This is ship that we sailed on several years ago. At that time, we tried the Sterling Steakhouse and both the food and the atmosphere were not very good. Has that changed? Also, we have dined at Sabatinis on other ships . . . and it's been great. Have you tried that restaurant?

Hope you have a great trip!!

We sailed on the Emerald last year but never used the sanctuary. We used the thermal suite instead. Do you know if the Grand has a thermal suite in the spa? Also, what are you hearing about the Sanctuary? I'm thinking that it might be a good way to avoid those people who hog chairs poolside and those families where the kids are out of control. Cost? How to reserve? Opinions? This is a bit of a hard sell for my husband so I need to check it out first. Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, we got two feet of snow today . . . makes you feel good, doesn't it?

Yesterday was a nice day and so we headed up to the Sanctuary -- about an hour into the lovely weather the Staff Captain came over the PA to announce there would be rain ahead. The staff in the sanctuary moved everyone under cover, cleared all the lounge chairs so they wouldn't get wet. We sat there for a half hour and then the staff came around and gave us coupons for another complimentary visit another time. That was good.

Dinner last night worked out good, we went at 8 pm and didn't have to wait. The matre d' was so accommodating. Our waiter Jullien couldn't do enough for us.

We haven't had any problem using our old coffee cards in any of the locations. We have also bought a new card too.

today was Aruba, we were scheduled to do a helicopter tour of the island, when we went over there was no helicopter as it was experiencing mechanical problems. No problem and we were able to reschedule for two weeks from now and he gave us a discount too.

So we walked around, went to one of the museums and then caught the local bus to Eagle Beach, cost was $1.30 each and we went to mathew's restaurant at Casa Del Mar hotel. Very nice...

tonight we are lazy - after another nap (becoming a habit) we had a quiet dinner for two - and Bernie was happy he got his Key Lime Pie. We may go up on deck to watch "what happens in Vegas" on the Movies Under the Star Screen.

There is a great piano player that usually plays in the Martini bar, but he is so popular that they have moved him down to the Atrium.

There had been some problems with wait times as so many people wanted a very early dinner which caused a bottleneck around 7 - 8 pm in the Anytime dinning rooms. We spoke with Guisseppe the Matre d'Hotel yesterday and he said they were going to get the shows at night rescheduled to get those that do eat very early out of the dinning room quicker, so they are getting them to an early show. Seems to work as yesterday and today there has been no problem at all getting a seat in the dining room.

Tommorow is Curacao and we are off to the beach... some snorkeling and some cold ones -- ah life is grand.

Can't wait to hear how your Chef's Table went Bob/Sharon we think we will sign up on the next sailing.

Irene congratulations on the marriage of your daughter. We will wave at them in the ports that we share.

Bed is very comfortable now and having no problem sleeping. Our cabin steward has to be one of the best we have ever had.

Well off for another day...

Vickie & Bernie

Seeing your going to Curacao tomorrow, how do you get to the beach. I noticed an excursion that requires a 30 minute drive but wondered if there is a closer beach. We've never been to Curacao and would like to do a couple of hours at a beach seeing they are supposed to have such nice beaches.

I know your probably really missing Vancouver! The Pattullo Bridge had a fire on Saturday night and is closed for four weeks for repair. I'm not sure if you commute over the Port Mann but it's been chaos! To add to the fun, snow is expected for next week. This is no joke, believe me it's true. So, enjoy the heat and we'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Seeing your going to Curacao tomorrow, how do you get to the beach. I noticed an excursion that requires a 30 minute drive but wondered if there is a closer beach. We've never been to Curacao and would like to do a couple of hours at a beach seeing they are supposed to have such nice beaches.

Ask the cab driver to take you to Kontiki Hotel. It is $5.00 pp. each way. All their cabs are vans so will carry lots but still per person rate. Arrange for that driver to come back for you as cabs do not circle around there. It will look like they dropped you off in a dump but once you pay $3.00pp entrance fee to get to the beach, you will see paradise. ........beautiful beach. The Mambo Hotel is right next door. When we went in November, Kontiki the hotel was going through some renovations so no one came to ask us to pay for the loungers and palapas. I understand that it is usually $3.00 for the loungers and $5.00 for the palapas. You can also get a massage on the beach. $40 for 45 minutes.

Seaquarium Beach ( Kontiki and Mambo Hotels ) is very nice. I understand that other recommended beaches are much further away and can cost $10.00 or as much as $20.00pp to get to and is not as nice. Only hearsay as we have not been. Heard about Kontiki and decided it was a reasonable rate to pay for an afternoon at the beach and it is very nice there.

When you get off the ship, if you want to go shopping first, do not take a cab as it is only a short walk across the bridge which you cannot see from the ship. Some people who did not know took a cab and were charged $13.00 for the two of them. It was a long ride to get to the other side as vehicles cannot use that swing bridge. ( very nice BTW ) They did not realize until I met them in town and told them to just cross the bridge to get back to the ship that they were so close to the ship. The market place along the waterfront is delightful.

Ask the cab driver to take you to Kontiki Hotel. It is $5.00 pp. each way. All their cabs are vans so will carry lots but still per person rate. Arrange for that driver to come back for you as cabs do not circle around there. It will look like they dropped you off in a dump but once you pay $3.00pp entrance fee to get to the beach, you will see paradise. ........beautiful beach. The Mambo Hotel is right next door. When we went in November, Kontiki the hotel was going through some renovations so no one came to ask us to pay for the loungers and palapas. I understand that it is usually $3.00 for the loungers and $5.00 for the palapas. You can also get a massage on the beach. $40 for 45 minutes.

Seaquarium Beach ( Kontiki and Mambo Hotels ) is very nice. I understand that other recommended beaches are much further away and can cost $10.00 or as much as $20.00pp to get to and is not as nice. Only hearsay as we have not been. Heard about Kontiki and decided it was a reasonable rate to pay for an afternoon at the beach and it is very nice there.

We just got back from the Grand and visited Kon Tiki Beach in Curacao. I totally agree, a perfect paradise. The cab was indeed $5 pp each way. The entrance fee was $3 pp. The lounges were $3 each for the regular ones and $6 each for the nice comfy palapas nearer the beach.

This was the first time we visited this beach and will definitely go again, really nice.

One thing we also noticed. We arrived early and the price of drinks at the same bar went higher as the day went on. Kind of strange, but the truth!

We didn't arrange for a taxi to return at any certain time, but were able to walk right out of the beach area where taxis were waiting, we must have hit it lucky that day. :)

Definitely worth the fees involved for a great beach day!

We are sailing on the Grand on February 27. This is ship that we sailed on several years ago. At that time, we tried the Sterling Steakhouse and both the food and the atmosphere were not very good. Has that changed? Also, we have dined at Sabatinis on other ships . . . and it's been great. Have you tried that restaurant?

Hope you have a great trip!!

We also were 'underwhelmed' by the Stirling Steakhouse on a previous cruise. That being said, we tried the 'Painted Desert' (the steakhouse venue) and were pleasantly surprised.

We had what may be the best onion soup ever, not salty, and perfectly prepared. The filet was cooked to order, both for my wife and I. To that I might add the extra personal space between the tables makes it much more personal. The desert selection included items that are freshly made, as opposed to the 'line' deserts of the main dining rooms (which again are quite good in there own right).

I'd have to give the staff, and the meal, and A+ for this round.

Well done Princess!

We have a group booking for Sabatini's later in the cruise, and I'll review that as well.

I can't decide if this is a good thread or a bad thread. We leave on the Feb 13 voyage and the wait is killing me. Reading all the posts on how nice the weather is, the great food, the entertainment, the bad beds, the small shower, the service, the drinks <sigh> ... Calgon, take me away :D

I know your probably really missing Vancouver! The Pattullo Bridge had a fire on Saturday night and is closed for four weeks for repair. I'm not sure if you commute over the Port Mann but it's been chaos! To add to the fun, snow is expected for next week. This is no joke, believe me it's true. So, enjoy the heat and we'll see you in a couple of weeks.

we heard about the fire, and we are both glad that we are not back to work for a month! We both are transit drivers so it is doubly good that we are away.

Up early this morning, of course we order room service every morning and like most ships it always comes early. So be prepared!

We are in Caracao today and we got off and took the taxi to Kon Tiki beach (the hotel there is now called Cabana) - taxi was $5 per person, it took maybe 10 minutes. It is $3 to get in and lounge chairs are also $3, they also offer massages and there is food and drink service as well. Coronas were $4 each. It rained lightly at first but the sun came out and it got very hot. We did bring our snorkel gear and snorkeled - swim out to the breaker and bring cereal to feed the fish.

Back on board, great group here! Loving every minute of it.

Quick up date:

Chefs Table was excellent. We rated it better than last year on the Emerald.

We went to Playa Porto Mari in Curacao. Although it was $10 pp for taxi each way, it was worth it for good snorkling and diving (double reef). Entrance was $2 and lounger was $3.

In room laptop access has been by & large quite acceptable. Entertainment and food have been fabulous. This is our third time on the Grand and it is quickly becoming our favourite ship.

Off to eat now.....

Archived