Cruise Or Disney World With Kids?

CatherineL

Hi, We have only ever been on the 4 night Disney Cruise a few years ago. Kids are 11 and 14 now and would really like to do a Royal Carribean cruise. I like the idea of the cruise and trip and got a brilliant quote on a 14 night cruise round the med from Southampton. We live in the UK, so we'd just need to take a train.

Now my husband has seen on TV that Disney are doing special deals this year. Most times when we've been to Disney we've done 7 nights, so haven't done many things in Florida. But we have been to Disney lots, although the kids were younger.

Comparing the costs and extras, I think we'd spend much less on the cruise, because of the cost of flights etc.

Has anyone done Disney, or a cruise with kids this age? Which did they prefer?

We do Disney and cruise a couple times a year with the kids. I like both for different reasons. But if you have been to disney "many times"....and the price is better for a 13 night cruise....then that's what I would do.

I can tell you Disney's latest special is "Buy 4 nights, get 3 nights free" at a Disney resort, includes passes, would have to buy meal plan. Must reserve by the end of this month and offer good on certain dates through June 2009.

I know the airfare from UK to here is :eek:. So I am certain I would choose to cruise out of a port close to home than to fly to Florida and do Disney again.

Hi Michelle - Thanks, The airfare makes a big difference. The lowest fare I can get is half the cost of the cruise, then you've got the park tickets etc. I've read a lot of what you have to say about Royal Caribbean and that really drew me towards the line. The only other cruise I've ever done was Disney.

I saw the Disney 7 for 4 special. They're also doing a 10 for 14 special for folk from the UK and for the first time ever, they're giving us a better price. I'm guessing it's to make up for the lousy exchange rate.

But Disney costs so much, once you get there and I missed out on the free dining for people from the UK.

Maybe I could do the cruise this year and get the free dining next year.

Hi, We have only ever been on the 4 night Disney Cruise a few years ago. Kids are 11 and 14 now and would really like to do a Royal Carribean cruise. I like the idea of the cruise and trip and got a brilliant quote on a 14 night cruise round the med from Southampton. We live in the UK, so we'd just need to take a train.

Now my husband has seen on TV that Disney are doing special deals this year. Most times when we've been to Disney we've done 7 nights, so haven't done many things in Florida. But we have been to Disney lots, although the kids were younger.

Comparing the costs and extras, I think we'd spend much less on the cruise, because of the cost of flights etc.

Has anyone done Disney, or a cruise with kids this age? Which did they prefer?

Hi,

We are doing a week at WDW then a 7 day cruise at the end of Feb. We decided to do this since we are flying from the West coast of Canada to Florida and wanted to make the most of it. Based on my estimates of what we will pay for food at WDW, the week at Disney is more expensive than teh week on the cruise (and that's with no airfare).

I would recommend the cruise option. I think you will enjoy RCL- my kids had a great time the last time we cruised.

I had planned a 12 trip to WDW, but with the low prices on cruises, we decided to do 6 days at WDW and a 7 night cruise. A cruise is much more of a vacation for mom. The kids love it too. With the inclusion of food and entertainment, not having to pay for a rental car, not having to stand in lines in the heat etc etc, I am looking much more forward to our trip.

I would definitely choose a Med cruise over WDW with kids that age.

I have four kids and two are 11, 14 and we just went on a crusie with all four kids and we go to disney alot.and we are going to disney in april . I asked them which they liked better. They said they love both but they are to complete different vacation.

Cruise they met friends and had so much fun hanging out and doing fun things. Disney it is on the go vacation just with our family. No friends.

Since this was our first cruise with the kids they can't wait to go again.. I think your kids would love either one.

My girls are 14 and 10 and have gone on two 12 day Mediterranean cruises and one 12 day Baltic cruise. They have visited WDW numerous times. My 14 year old said, "Make sure they go to the Mediterranean." My 10 year old definitely agrees.

The older the kids, the more they will get out of the Disney experience--lots of things aren't really "geared" for the very young child..even tho alot of younger kids go to Disney! Until they hit about 7 or so, alot of the "magic" goes over their heads!

But, since you've already done the Disney thing, do the cruise this time! Like someone else said, they are 2 totally different experiences! And RCI is GREAT for your age kids!

Disney will be there for another time!

Disney is great ....no doubt about it.

BUT-cruising is more relaxing , no lines , and new cultural and learning experiences.

I vote for the cruise.

Every kid needs to have the Disney experience at least once , but since your kids have already gone...

Kim

Thanks everyone. Epixx - getting the opinion of other kids has made my daughter more keen on the cruise. But we did Disney three years ago and as cb at sea says, she didn't benefit from it as much then. She was too scared to do many of the rides, including Splash Mountain. Plus, we only stayed a week, so she didn't get to see much else in Florida.

We really don't want to do both, so I guess we'll do one this year and one next, depending on what cruise rate we can get and how much further the pound plummets. Today we're down to $1.38 to the pound and 1 euro 7 to the pound, so I guess a cruise would be good value, aside from additional expenses on the ships and in ports.

MY 13 year old daughter selected the cruise. The cruise is better (from her perspective) because: 1. she has more freedom 2. There are more choices of activities 3. You can see new places and meet new people 4. the cruise is a more relaxing vacation 5. being on the water is really pretty. She does still like WDW (we went last year from Spring Break) and would not complain with a WDW vacation. She really enjoys the RCCL programs for kids and teen. There are lots of options for the tween/younger teen

I agree that I'd go for a cruise. To be honest, the "deals" at disney really aren't that good. We normally watch for discounts at Disney very carefully and despite all my efforts, they wanted me to pay MORE this year than I did last year. Disney is very good at seperating you from your money, they tell people it is a good deal and amazingly people believe them without doing the math and finding out if it actually IS a good deal. We are still going to WDW this year, but chose a rental home this year for exactly HALF the price of staying onsite.

My kids love Disney World, they are 3 and 15. The magical thing about Disney is that there is something there for everyone! No right or wrong age to enjoy WDW. Which is why we go every year because both my kids love it, even though they are 11 years apart in age.

We are going on our first cruise in June so I can't compare. My teenager is really looking forward to our cruise though, more so than our Disney trip in March, but we go to Disney every year so it isn't exactly exotic for him.

Hi Vavasmom - Those are good reasons and I'll pass them on to her. I know some folk let their kids go off in the parks and keep in touch via cellphone but I would still feel nervous about doing that. I've only done the one cruise - a Disney one and I felt quite comfortable about them going off to the clubs there.

Hi Nothriver - I feel the same way you do and will also be staying in an offsite villa next time we do Disney. I used to be a DVC member but the annual dues cost far more than a nice villa with pool, just to get a two bedroom. But I had no idea there was so many nice villas so close to Disney but it seems there's a short cut that brings you out at Animal Kingdom for the ones over in the Windsor Palms and Windsor Hills areas. If you ask on the DIS boards, someone will give you directions.

I was checking out the Dining Plan they have for UK people right now. Disney eliminated the appetizer on the sit down meal a good while ago but now they've taken off the dessert too.

It used to be worth me booking everything on the US site but the way the exchange rates are now, the UK site is cheaper. But you've got to stay 14 nights to get 4 free.

We don't go every year. This May it will be three years since the kids have been and three years in October for me (honeymoon). We used get an AP, do three trips in one year - get totally tired of Disney and wait another three years to go again. But I'm going to try to stop doing that.

And I really love the idea of this cruise. I just read a review on DIS by a guy who loved Disney cruises - thought he'd never want to cruise with anyone else. Then this year, due to costs, he booked on Royal Caribbean instead. He loved it - said the food quality, service etc was better than on Disney. And he's booked to go back on Royal Caribbean again next time, so it must be pretty amazing.

we a family vacation to Disney World in 07, our two were 13 and 11. They loved the parks and had fun but neither want to go back. we let them have a little say in where we go on vacations. This year we asked trip to Europe or Cruise. Well they chose Cruise. They didn't want to fly.

But Disney's vacation deals this year really arn't all that great. So I would go on the cruise.

Archived