Need help - Le Havre private tour ?s

I am trying to find a good non-ship excursion for our port day in Le Havre. The ship has a tour to Rouen/Giverny which looks alright but is quite spendy at $170pp. I have emailed a few tour operators and the only reply back was for a tour that would have been far more expensive even if I filled every seat on the van.

Is it possible to find a good private tour in this port for less $ than the ship offers? I don't like the cattle call experience of the ships tours, but also was hoping for something a bit more reasonable as well.

Any recommendations for reputable tour guides, or advice in general for this port will be much appreciated! I will be cautious about not cutting it close time wise.

We used Le Havre Taxis for private tour to Mont St. Michel which was fabulous. Go to their web site and click on the french logo and will give you different circuits or tours available. Will be in French but scroll down for the English version on all avail tours. We will use them again in Nov. and probably see Rouen/Giverny this time...

Thank you Seatravelers, this is exactly what I was hoping to find!

Do they pick up from the pier? Thanks again for your reply.

Yes, they pick you up at the pier and return you in plenty of time. They are not tour "guides" but will provide enough info on the places you visit then the rest is up to you. We had one of the most memorable days of any on a cruise with this company. Hope you enjoy as well. Smooth sailings!

• 5 weeks later...
I am trying to find a good non-ship excursion for our port day in Le Havre. The ship has a tour to Rouen/Giverny which looks alright but is quite spendy at $170pp. I have emailed a few tour operators and the only reply back was for a tour that would have been far more expensive even if I filled every seat on the van.

Is it possible to find a good private tour in this port for less $ than the ship offers? I don't like the cattle call experience of the ships tours, but also was hoping for something a bit more reasonable as well.

Any recommendations for reputable tour guides, or advice in general for this port will be much appreciated! I will be cautious about not cutting it close time wise.

I suggest a taxi from Le Havre to the beautiful little port city of Honfleur. The taxi ride is about thirty minutes.

Click on the link below for informaiton on viewing a video of Honfleur.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Cruzer Two

I do not think that there is no need not to go to Rouen and Giverny.

Subject your are not going alone:

Rent a car:

http://www.lehavretourisme.com/Rent_A_Car_Croisiere_2008.pdf

and drive yourself.

I did it already and it was great: Rouen and Giverny.

The car company delivers the car to your cruise ship.

If you are travelling alone than just use the train:

It takes about 2 hours to Vernon and one way it's only 20.30 EUR.

Once you arrive in Vernon - check for this sign to find the right exit:

2009VernonGiverny01-vi.jpg

Once you are out of the building you are here:

2009VernonGiverny02-vi.jpg

Go to the right side alongside of the rails.

2009VernonGiverny03-vi.jpg

When you arrive at this bus stop:

2009VernonGiverny04-vi.jpg

And then you see the departure point of the Shuttle (= Navette) to Giverny:

2009VernonGiverny05-vi.jpg

According to 2008 schedule it was still 4 EUR for a return ticket:

http://www.giverny.fr/IMG/pdf/Maquette_horaires2008-2.pdf

The 2009 schedule is not released yet.

It's 20 minutes from Vernon to Giverny.

The admission fee is 6 EUR:

http://www.fondation-monet.com/uk/fondation/tarifs.asp

40.60 EUR train ticket

4.00 EUR shuttle

6.00 EUR admission fee

+ Taxi to station in Le Havre if you dislike to walk 20-30 minutes...

You can do it for 70 EUR (about 85 USD) alone - as you have to transfer anyway in Rouen you can also do a stop there.

Subject you are willing to do a little bit yourself you can handle it for less than 170 USD. We have the same problem with NCL who wants 189 USD for the shore excursion and we booked a mini-bus for us.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Wow Heinbloed, thank you for posting the photo map! I think the prices for the ships tours from Le Havre were insane. Plus it is not pleasant to be on the enormous sightseer buses, with masses of people descending upon each tourist site or restaurant all at once.

I was able to find an independent tour, but thanks for posting those instructions & pictures, I bet they will help someone else. :)

Archived