Tripods & Monopods on Airplanes

donaldsc

I am taking a winter Yellowstone trip (not a cruise but we will be cruising our snow mobiles) and I want to take a tripod and a monopod. I would prefer not to put it in my checked luggage for obvious reasons.

Will TSA let me take them on the plane or will they think that I can convert them into a weapon? Has anyone hand carried either one of them?

DON

I travel with a Velbon UltraMaxi strappped to the side of me backpack case and nobody gives me a second glance. I imagine if you had a full-size tripod in it's own shoulder bag as your second carry-on, the same would be true.

A tripod is no more of a weapon than a cane or a collapsible walker.

Dave

I have never had any trouble. The X-ray operator will stop the belt for a second but once they realize they are looking at a lot of camera gear they just pass it on through.

Do you really want to carry a tripod and a monopod? I always start out with everything in my pile to take along but usually much of it gets left behind once the reality of traveling carry-on or one checked bag sets in.

I have never had any trouble. The X-ray operator will stop the belt for a second but once they realize they are looking at a lot of camera gear they just pass it on through.

Do you really want to carry a tripod and a monopod? I always start out with everything in my pile to take along but usually much of it gets left behind once the reality of traveling carry-on or one checked bag sets in.

I am doing a Yellowstone Winter snow mobile trip and will be using a monopod most of the time. However, we are going to a spot where we hopefully will be able to see wolves and I am bringing a 100-400 mm lens and a 1.4 telextender. I think that the tripod would be useful here.

DON

It sounds like you are shooting Canon. How does the 100-400 do with a converter? I got rid of my 1.4x when I got the 100-400.

The lens and converter are rented. I have not used them much. I will report when I come back.

DON

The IS limited on the 100-400L especially if using a 1.6 crop body (but the 400mm really reaches out there when you multiply by 1.6). The lens likes a LOT of light. You will certainly get good use from your tripod if you are using the 1.4x. I can consistantly get good shots with the 100-400L on a monopod when the sun is an hour+ away from sunrise or sunset but it gets more difficult if it is overcast.

The 100-400 takes good shots wide open if you are not heavily cropping the photograph. If you think you will do heavy cropping or be looking at the photos 1:1 then stop down to 8f if you can. It gets much sharper.

I have never had oscillation problems in either IS mode when using a monopod or tripod so I leave it on all the time. Unless your tripod is rock solid the IS helps alot to dampen the mirror flip and wind vibrations.

If taking shots in the forest or through trees do not hesitate to turn the auto focus off. In the forest that lens loves to lock on to something other than your subject even when using a single focus point. If you have not used a long telephoto before, pay attention to your depth of field (DOF) & focus. Your DOF can be quite small so focusing is critical. Here is a link where you can plug in your camera & lens information and get an idea of how much DOF you will have to work with: http://dofmaster.com/dofjs.html . The hyperfocal distance for that lens is about 3/4 mile without the converter (at max zoom) so you almost always have to pay attention to focus.

• 1 year later...

Will TSA let me take them on the plane or will they think that I can convert them into a weapon? Has anyone hand carried either one of them?

So, I have a really beefy hiking staff/monopod with a wicked looking spike on the end, not one of those little twisty feet. We're doing the Alaska 7 day land then cruise. Do monopods still fly carry on with the recent issues (flame boy) and new rules popping up? I've given up flying in cargo pants, since they pat me down every time.:eek:

Considering shipping monopod and bathroom/laundry supplies(allergies) to first stop to eliminate hassles. DH doesn't check bags, so that's out.

What's everybody's recent experiences??

So, I have a really beefy hiking staff/monopod with a wicked looking spike on the end, not one of those little twisty feet. We're doing the Alaska 7 day land then cruise. Do monopods still fly carry on with the recent issues (flame boy) and new rules popping up? I've given up flying in cargo pants, since they pat me down every time.:eek:

Considering shipping monopod and bathroom/laundry supplies(allergies) to first stop to eliminate hassles. DH doesn't check bags, so that's out.

What's everybody's recent experiences??

Wicked looking spike will be a TSA issue.... best to pre-ship... i would not risk trying to convince one TSA person to let thru and then get stuck not being able to get by a different agent.

Wicked looking spike will be a TSA issue.... best to pre-ship... i would not risk trying to convince one TSA person to let thru and then get stuck not being able to get by a different agent.

Yea, just wanted to test the waters. I don't have the best luck, so not chancing it; with different TSA and customs stops. Looking for a good box that will work, of course the one price shippers don't quite fit.

• 2 months later...

I've been going back & forth between bringing my tripod(has a carrying bag) or my my monopod to Alaska this September. The ONLY reason I'm even thinking about the tripod is for panaroma shots as my tripod will allow me to do this while my monopod will not (have a slight hand tremor due to thyroid meds I take) I really hate to lug the tripod along but I really would kick myself on losing the opportunity for great panorama shots. What do you guy's think?

I think I would only bring my tripod to Alaska again if I was doing a land portion. I brought it last month when we went (R/T Seattle) and it sat in the suitcase the whole trip. The only use I can see for that is for doing long exposure shots around the ship. Personally, I know if I didn't have it, I would have needed it, but I didn't.

I've been going back & forth between bringing my tripod(has a carrying bag) or my my monopod to Alaska this September. The ONLY reason I'm even thinking about the tripod is for panaroma shots as my tripod will allow me to do this while my monopod will not (have a slight hand tremor due to thyroid meds I take) I really hate to lug the tripod along but I really would kick myself on losing the opportunity for great panorama shots. What do you guy's think?

I use the Lowepro CLASSIFIED SLING 180 AW BAG, I can attach my travel tripod to its side.

My RRS BH-55 ballhead is way too big for travel, like using a sledgehammer for a thumbtack, so I got this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586222-REG/Smith_Victor_700337_BH2_Ballhead_with_Arca_Type.html

I used to lug the tripod around in its own bag, don't like it.

I use the Lowepro CLASSIFIED SLING 180 AW BAG, I can attach my travel tripod to its side.

My RRS BH-55 ballhead is way too big for travel, like using a sledgehammer for a thumbtack, so I got this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586222-REG/Smith_Victor_700337_BH2_Ballhead_with_Arca_Type.html

I used to lug the tripod around in its own bag, don't like it.

very nice;)

i have a monopod tripod combo,the centre part of the tripod comes out and can be used as a monopod it didnt come with its own bag but i have another that fits and i dont find it to heavy, took it on the new zealand cruise and used it quite a lot it is a "optex opm1093g with monopod" bought in west australia this year it has a pistol grip to move the ball and socket head which i love for ease of use, i packed it in my luggage as i was not sure of wether it could be carried on or not

jackiedanny:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Flashpoint F-1228 standard tripod and a Trekpod XL monopod that I have lugged on International and domestic flights this year without any TSA challenges. I have stored them overhead and along the floor without any airline objections.

Ron

Archived