Wave Season 2009: Catch the Spirit of Cruising

Host Caroline

I am starting a thread on this so that you guys can respond to it, discuss it etc. BUT if it degenerates into a "he said, she said" thing with names named etc. or discussions re individuals it will be removed immediately. Your cooperation is appreciated:) Caroline

What is “wave season” you ask? Wave season is the busiest time of year for cruise lines, travel agencies that sell cruises and, as a byproduct of this phenomenon – Cruise Critic experiences tremendous activity and an influx of new and veteran cruisers to our site.

With the above in mind, we would like to offer up some tips and suggestions to both newbies and our longstanding members:

To Our Newcomers

Our community has always been haven for people who LOVE cruising to share their personal experiences with one another; and we welcome you. Therefore, it should make sense to you that many people have found a home here on Cruise Critic because they are fans of one (or more) specific cruise lines, and they in turn have made long-lasting friendships with other cruisers.

It would be helpful if before posting you take some time to familiarize yourself with our site. If you need some help navigating; please do not hesitate to post a question on the Help Forum , or send an email to us at boards@cruisecritic.com. Also, you will learn so much by browsing the forums -- the amount of information on our message boards is nothing less than staggering, and spending time reading can answer many questions for you, and also provide insight into how the community works. And of course, our veteran members are more than happy to help you with any of your questions; they are our most valuable asset.

We’d also like to point out an interesting conundrum; although our site name is Cruise *Critic*, newbies who post a highly inflammatory “first post” about your cruise line experience may notice that your critique is not necessarily welcomed with open arms by our community members. Remember, we are a community of people who LOVE cruising. Our members understand you are unhappy and even angry – heck, they’ve probably experienced exactly what you have at some point in their long cruising careers! But if you take this into consideration before posting, and perhaps offer up a more balanced review (it could not possibly have been all bad!), your experience will probably be met with a less “outraged” response.

Understand that an online community is made up of all different types of people from all walks of life with many different personalities – just like real life! We’re sure you’ve all experienced less than courteous interactions in your “real life”; you shouldn’t be surprised to find them online. Ignore those who aren’t helpful; focus on those who are and soon you will find yourself truly enjoying your experience and learning all there is to know about cruising.

To Our Veteran Members

First, we’d like to thank all of you for your dedication to Cruise Critic and your fellow community members – this past October we celebrated our 14th birthday (did you know we've been around longer than GOOGLE)? Our forums are the largest in the cruising world, with more than 16 million posts and over 400,000 community members. Your “voice” is heard all throughout the cruise world.

With that in mind, we would ask for your help in assisting the industry during these tough economic times. It is common knowledge that the growth of the cruise industry lies with attracting first timers to their fold. Cruise lines are reaching out to these cruisers in record numbers and we’d like you to do the same. We’ve noticed a lack of patience in this regard and we ask you to take a moment to remember back to when you were either new to cruising OR new to an online posting environment.

Most of you are wonderful about helping out the newbies, but those of you who respond with “do a search” know who you are. If repetitive questions bother you, simply don’t respond at all. Also, we’d definitely appreciate seeing a “kinder, gentler” manner towards anyone who has less than stellar comments about a cruise line. Oftentimes new posters “find” us after a cruise and post negatively. We appreciate those of you who offer helpful responses to these new members; welcome them ask them to stay and share your insight and knowledge about the issues. Remember, the OP (original poster) isn’t the only one reading your response – your comments could help a lurker. (Enough of the popcorn and “dead horse” smilies, please).

You are the frequent cruisers of the world; you are setting an online example – if you will – of what new cruisers can expect from the cruising experience. Yes, we realize that an online community is made up of all types of people from all walks of life with all different personalities; that’s just life. We get that you may loose your patience, or are tired of the same old questions. What we’re hoping for is that the upcoming year brings with it patience, tolerance and understanding, and that we all make an effort to exhibit the true spirit of cruising in our day-to-day participation in the community.

To Everyone

Thanks for listening, and for visiting us today, tomorrow and the future. Here's wishing everyone a great 2009!

LauraS

Community Manager

community@cruisecritic.com

>>Most of you are wonderful about helping out the newbies, but those of you who respond with “do a search” know who you are. If repetitive questions bother you, simply don’t respond at all. Also, we’d definitely appreciate seeing a “kinder, gentler” manner towards anyone who has less than stellar comments about a cruise line. <<

Thank you, Laura! When I read these responses to legitimate questions and critiques it makes me afraid to post my (many times dumb) questions or bad experiences. Sometimes the question posted is something I've wondered about and appreciate reading helpful responses. I also enjoy reading others' opinions about the cruise they took, even if I totally disagree with them. I'd rather know of someone's bad experience, than to only read glowing reports. We are a great community of people with lots of good information and insight into all things related to cruising. The help I've received has been invaluable to me.

Thank you for starting this thread Host Caroline.

I was not going to respond to it until the first thread that I read tonight got me thinking about what you wrote. Thread is titled Is the food special on formal night?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=908781

That small thread is a perfect mini example of the good and the bad.

Just read the posts in this thread and see who is helpful, positive or negative and even arrogant and some demeaning.

We all have opinions and that is what is is. "Just Our Opinion". It does not count for more than someone elses just because the poster has more cruises, or a big post count under their belt.

The point is to try and respond in such a way as to answer the original poster as best we can and not try to discredit someone elses anwer.

Some subjects have been discussed so many times that they become tiresome and quite a few have even turned a little nasty in the past. Whenever I see a thread titled something to do with formal night, dress code, anytime dining, and especially auto tipping I sigh and say to myself "Oh no not again" because they usually turn into a useless very long thread that goes no where. I now avoid such threads after the first page as the question should have been answered by our astute members by then.

Perhaps we should just agree to disagree on the contoversial matters and not get into well whatever you want to call it.

I am sure I have strayed in the past and have made some impolite or stupid posts that I now regret. Now I try to think twice or even three times before I post and have deleted many posts that I have started.

Maybe this thread you started will make some people who read this thread stop and think before they post a snide, arrogant, strongly opinionated or my opinion or the highway type of post.

Thanks again Caroline! :)

Keep your eagle eye on.

Kudos to Cruise Critic!

By the way, I am a slow typist and often find that a question has been answered before my post hits the board.

• 1 month later...

It is inspiring to read about all the people who love cruising and want to share their knowledge and know how about being on a cruise and meeting new people.

we are almost retired people who are cruising to Asia onboard the Princess on March 30,2009. My husband is a professional musician/pianist and I am a helping professional. We would love to meet other people who are on this same tour and would love to get some tips about cruising to Asia.

I have been to Asia a few times but this is the first cruise experience.

After the cruise, we are on our own for 4 days in Angkor Wat.

Any and all tips would be appreciated and again anyone who wants to say hello is welcome. Thanks to all. Paula

Hello, friends!

We are taking a Princess cruise Holly Land - Athen to Rome, on May 8th - 20th, Voyage 1904.

When booking excursions, we realized that in port Said there are no excursions offered through Princess, but just options for 2-day overnight excursions on May 12-13th, priced starting as much as close to $700 per person. We found a post of a person providing his feed back on the same cruise he took back in Nov 2008. The overall feed back was pretty positive. He also pointed out that since there were no one-day Excursions while you stay in Port Said, they booked the 2-day Excursions through Temotours and paid $300 per person (when booked for 4 people) as opposed to the double price if they booked with Princess, and they were happy with their decision to take this route.

We would like to offer you to join us at this excursion thru Temotours, to get a lower price per person.

Below is a response from Temotours General Manager on our inquiry about this tour, as well as tour details and pricing.

It is a private tour and the price u pay according to how many of you, as mentioned in the table.

I need 1 month before your arrival, and I need your passport details to arrange permission meeting u inside the port.

Arrival, transfer to Cairo 3 hours driving.Day 1Arrival Cairo visit Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. The step pyramids of Sakkara Transfer to hotel. Sound and light Show Dinner cruise with show on the NileDay 2Full day tour Egyptian Museum, Mummies room, Citadel Mohamed Ali MosqueTransfer to Port

2 pax4 pax6 pax8 pax10 paxWith hotel$365 $305 $295 $285 $275 Without hotel$295 $235 $225 $220 $215

Rates per person includes:

1 night hotel Sofitel Le Sphinx or Similar category

2 full day tour as mentioned above

All tours mentioned above with private bus

Private English speaking guide.

Entrance fees for all the sight mentioned in the program

Rate doesn't include :

Entry visa if required $ 15 per person (Usually u don't require visa, but just in case, we will arrange)

Tips for guide, driver, etc.

Any meals, beverages not mentioned in the program

Please let me know.

Thak you.

RLMDG

It is inspiring to read about all the people who love cruising and want to share their knowledge and know how about being on a cruise and meeting new people.

we are almost retired people who are cruising to Asia onboard the Princess on March 30,2009. My husband is a professional musician/pianist and I am a helping professional. We would love to meet other people who are on this same tour and would love to get some tips about cruising to Asia.

I have been to Asia a few times but this is the first cruise experience.

After the cruise, we are on our own for 4 days in Angkor Wat.

Any and all tips would be appreciated and again anyone who wants to say hello is welcome. Thanks to all. Paula

Please go to the roll call part of the boards, click on Princess, and a listing of the ships will appear (eventually or quickly depending upon response time). Then you can click on your ship, and a listing of sailing dates will come up, click on yours and start reading......that's the roll call for your sailing and a great place to meet others who are also on the same cruise, perhaps get some questions answered, make some friends and plans before sailing.

Also have a look at the ports of call section, find "your part of the world" and have a browse throught the topics - you could start a thread and ask a question or two or three. I have found the more specific your topic name is the easier it is to get on point responses.

Welcome to the world of cruise addiction.:)

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to start a thread or answer a post without fear of some people making unnecessary or sarky comments when all most people want is some feedback, helpful suggestions or information and not to be ridiculed or "flamed".

there are many different nationalities on this board and sometimes things can be taken up the wrong way, so it would be nice if people thought before they typed, my mother always told me that if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all and I try to live by this. We are all on this board for the same reason, because we love to cruise so lets all try to remember this and treat others as we would like others to treat us.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been very happy since finding cruise critic. I realize that were all different in our great ways and that's what makes it so great to listen to everyones different answers and what a wealth of knowledge I have learned for all my upcoming cruises. Thanks again to everyone on Cruise Critic.

Archived