Documents for bringing Step-kids?

Copper_beeches

Is there a specific form that we'll need to bring for permission from my DH's ex, to bring his kids on a cruise? I looked at the NCL site and didn't find anything, does she just write a note? Does it need to be notarised? To have it notarised does she have to sign it in front of the Natary?

Thanks!

What does "bt" mean?

I think you will covered with what you have. As far as medical authorization goes, the reality is, if you all have the same last name, I've found no one ever asks anything.

That would be Bit... meaning the part about medical auth :-):o I'm not really worried about that anyway, it was just in case my husband and I each took a kid to something different, but you're right, we do all have the same last name and even their drs here never ask me for anything...

Thanks for the link to that form. I will use that for our upcoming cruise.

I also don't need permission for the medical stuff since my husband and I carry the insurance for my kids and have the medical ID cards. I will include it in the authorization though just so there isn't any question! My kids have a different last name so I just want to make sure I have every possible angle covered.

I'm sure glad I found this thread! We are going on a cruise with my stepson and I didn't even think of getting any kind of permission from his mother. He lives with us full time and my husband has full physical custody and then it's joint legal. Since he has full physical, do you think a note is still required?

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to say that I contacted our cruiseline (NCL)and she said permission is only required if there is joint physical or the non-custodial parent is taking the child. Since DH has full physical, no other documents are necessary. Whew!! I think I'll try to get a notarized letter from her anyways just in case.

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to say that I contacted our cruiseline (NCL)and she said permission is only required if there is joint physical or the non-custodial parent is taking the child. Since DH has full physical, no other documents are necessary. Whew!! I think I'll try to get a notarized letter from her anyways just in case.

That's a good idea because it's not just what NCL says. It won't help you one bit if you have any issues while on the cruise. NCL's Customer Service reps have no control over the various immigration departments or officers. Whatever country/countries you're visiting will have their own requirements regarding documentation. Some, such as Mexico, are extremely strict regarding parents entering with children. The primary issue is that someones one parent will kidnap the child to a country where custody cannot or will not be enforced. Even the US Immigrations Dept can require proof that your DH is allowed to bring his son back into the US. (Weird sounding, I know, but it's true.) At a minimum, you'll need to bring a copy of the custody papers showing that he has full physical custody. The fact that they share legal custody is what might be an issue. I truly would not rely on what an NCL rep told me.

beachchick

beachchick & boulders

Thanks for the advice! You know, since he's lived with us and I've raised him since he was 2, I just don't think about things like this!

Anyways, I will take your advice and ask his mother for a notarized letter giving us permission to take him to Mexico. However, she's pretty flaky so I don't know if she'll follow through. We'll be bringing the custody paperwork as well.

beachchick & boulders

Thanks for the advice! You know, since he's lived with us and I've raised him since he was 2, I just don't think about things like this!

Anyways, I will take your advice and ask his mother for a notarized letter giving us permission to take him to Mexico. However, she's pretty flaky so I don't know if she'll follow through. We'll be bringing the custody paperwork as well.

Legal custody is the issue, not physical custody. If it's joint legal custody, you would indeed need the letter. However, if she won't sign, and you all have the same last name, it's is unlikely you will be questioned; they will assume you are the mom.

Legal custody is the issue, not physical custody. If it's joint legal custody, you would indeed need the letter. However, if she won't sign, and you all have the same last name, it's is unlikely you will be questioned; they will assume you are the mom.

We do all have the same last name, but we'll be using his birth certificate as his ID and that lists her as the mother. We tried to get him a passport, but there was that flakiness issue.

He's really looking forward to this so hopefully that will make this a priority for her. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We do all have the same last name, but we'll be using his birth certificate as his ID and that lists her as the mother. We tried to get him a passport, but there was that flakiness issue.

He's really looking forward to this so hopefully that will make this a priority for her. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

You can get a passport without mom's signature:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html

You can get a passport without mom's signature:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html

When we spoke to the agent, she said it's something that has to be reviewed and could not tell us how long it would take. It's not something that's automatically granted. Since BC was enough to travel to Mexico, we decided to just use that and deal with the passport another time.

We sent the form (thanks to carriejose for attaching it!!) to her and she said she'd take care of it...so fingers crossed.

I also took the part out about the medical because he's covered under my insurance plan.

Anyways, can't thank everyone enough for your help! This could have turned into a nightmare!

Here's one for the books! If anyone can figure out how my DH and I can take our grandson on a cruise after explaining my dilemma, I would very much appreciate it!

My DIL, who married my son several years ago has a 9 year old son (not by my son). The father hasn't been heard from since the child was a year old. I understand that with the affidavit form, it's possible to apply and receive a passport without the presence of the father.

Here's the problem! My grandson doesn't have the same last name as my DIL. He has his father's last name! Soooooooooooo, when DH, grandson and I arrived to board the ship, with a notarized letter from the mother and hopefully a passport, do you think there will there be a problem since his last name is different from all of ours???

Who should I contact to find out?

Here's one for the books! If anyone can figure out how my DH and I can take our grandson on a cruise after explaining my dilemma, I would very much appreciate it!

My DIL, who married my son several years ago has a 9 year old son (not by my son). The father hasn't been heard from since the child was a year old. I understand that with the affidavit form, it's possible to apply and receive a passport without the presence of the father.

Here's the problem! My grandson doesn't have the same last name as my DIL. He has his father's last name! Soooooooooooo, when DH, grandson and I arrived to board the ship, with a notarized letter from the mother and hopefully a passport, do you think there will there be a problem since his last name is different from all of ours???

Contact the US Department of State:

http://travel.state.gov/family/family_1732.html

Yes, you could quite possibly have a problem.

You don't say if your DIL has sole legal and physical custody. Does she, and does she have the paperwork stating this? If so, you will need this, along with the notarized letter and medical treatment permission letter and passport. If not, you will need a court order allowing child to travel, or the father's notarized permission to travel letter also.

You need to understand that having a passport is not the same as having legal permission to travel. They are two different issues.

I do know that having a passport does not necessarily allow the child to travel. This is why I am asking for help and direction who I should contact to find out exactly what is needed. My DIL does not officially have sole custody but has been the sole parent and caretaker of the child for all of his life thus far. Fortunately, the child not been legitimized by the father and never will be.

Contact the US Department of State:

http://travel.state.gov/family/family_1732.html

Yes, you could quite possibly have a problem.

You don't say if your DIL has sole legal and physical custody. Does she, and does she have the paperwork stating this? If so, you will need this, along with the notarized letter and medical treatment permission letter and passport. If not, you will need a court order allowing child to travel, or the father's notarized permission to travel letter also.

You need to understand that having a passport is not the same as having legal permission to travel. They are two different issues.

Thank you for the link you provided! I called them and was informed that all I would need to be allowed to board the ship is his passport, notarized letter from DIL, and a copy of the affidavit that was sent along with his passport application explaining why the father was unavailable to co-sign the passport application, and to mesh everything together (the person's words), his birth certificate!

Awesome!

Archived