Costa Rica Tour

lvellen

My husband and I will be going to Limon, Costa Rica on the Jewel of the Seas Panama Canal cruise. I have a bad leg and use a wheelchair to get around most places. I have been in touch with several private tour guides and have chosen OakeyDoakey tours, as Charlie Soto has assured me that his tour that includes a Turtuguero Canal ride inside the Rain Forest is very accessible.

Can someone please let me know if they have done this tour and if the canal boatride is accessible.

Thank for your help.

My husband and I will be going to Limon, Costa Rica on the Jewel of the Seas Panama Canal cruise. I have a bad leg and use a wheelchair to get around most places. I have been in touch with several private tour guides and have chosen OakeyDoakey tours, as Charlie Soto has assured me that his tour that includes a Turtuguero Canal ride inside the Rain Forest is very accessible.

Can someone please let me know if they have done this tour and if the canal boatride is accessible.

Thank for your help.

Hi, how bad is your leg, can you walk? Take a few steps??? Nancie

It has been several years since we took the boat ride. It was not with Charlie Soto. We did it as a Princess excursion. The boat was easy to walk on. I was using a walker/canes then and can't say I even paid attention if it was OK for a wheelchair.

Thank for your help.

We just returned from the same cruise. We were pleasantly surprised to find a bus with a lift for the tour thru RCCL. Also the boat for the Canal ride was also accessible. They rolled me right on and I transfered into a seat. It also looked like the chair could have been set outside, but if it is rainy or really hot there was be no coverage. We truely loved the tour thru the cruise line.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!!! I hope you'll enjoy your boat tour soon! We just visited Veragua Rainforest, also recommended on your thread and we were surprised how accesible it is, you can even do the rainforest aerial tram, see the entire park and rainforest with a wheelchair accesible and very comfortable tram, also the lunch facilities and other areas of the park such as the nocturnal frog show are increible!!! I highly recommend this stop when you go in the tour! We were incrediblily happy after we visited and got a true Costa Rican rainforest experience at Veragua Rainforest! I live in Cambridge, MA and it was quite a remarkable stop and escape from the winter weather! Good luck!

Hello!!! I hope you'll enjoy your boat tour soon! We just visited Veragua Rainforest, also recommended on your thread and we were surprised how accesible it is, you can even do the rainforest aerial tram, see the entire park and rainforest with a wheelchair accesible and very comfortable tram, also the lunch facilities and other areas of the park such as the nocturnal frog show are increible!!! I highly recommend this stop when you go in the tour! We were incrediblily happy after we visited and got a true Costa Rican rainforest experience at Veragua Rainforest! I live in Cambridge, MA and it was quite a remarkable stop and escape from the winter weather! Good luck!

Yes, it was FABULOUS and don't forget the gorgeous butterflys! It was my VERY favorite excursion and Charlie Soto's team was wonderful! Ray is VERY knowledgeable and makes it even more fun!

I want to thank everyone for their help and knowledge in helping me choose my tour with Charlie Soto to the Veragua Rain Forest. I e-mailed the Veragua Rainforest, and got a reply from them that they are 95% handicapped accessible, the waterfall being the only exhibit that isn't.

We are really looking forward to going there and I will let everyone know about it when we return.

Ellen

Archived