Skagway Excursion

tvisser

I am trying to decide between two excursions in Skagway, Eagle Preserve Rafting Wildlife Quest or Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure and Cruise. First, any opinions on either of these two? BTW, I will be there in mid June if that makes a difference. In addition trying to decide between these, I am also trying to determine if I should do this if I will get an opportunity to see and take photo's of Bald Eagles.

If not this excursion, what would one recommend for Wildlife/Scenic photography in Skagway?

Thanks,

Tim

You'll see at least as many bald eagles on the dock in Ketchikan as you will on a summer trip through the bald eagle preserve - the huge world-famous eagle gathering happens in November ( http://www.baldeaglefestival.org/ ). In Skagway, there are no good wildlife sighting areas, but in mid-June the best place is up the Klondike Highway looking for bears - not guaranteed by a long shot, but it does happen. Spectacular scenery, though, is everywhere - here's what the drive up the highway looks like: http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html .

Our ship will not be docking at Ketchikan so that will not be an option. Are their tours that take you out to see the bears a long the Klondike HWY? If Skagway isnot a very good Wildlife viewing area, what else would anyone recommend to do in Skagway? We are there from 7AM - 8:30PM.

Tim

Are their tours that take you out to see the bears a long the Klondike HWY?

No there aren't, Tim, simply because seeing them isn't that common (I see them maybe 1 trip in 3 or 4 that time of year).

If Skagway isnot a very good Wildlife viewing area, what else would anyone recommend to do in Skagway?

Most people take one of the railway excursions - there are several options. I believe the record so far is about 1,700 people off a single ship taking the train - now that's a good excursion desk promotion! But there are about 90 other possibilities - good wildlife viewing just isn't among them

Murray

OK, I will take Wildlife off of my list at Skagway. If you had one day at port in skagway and would like to get some great pictures of the area, what would you recommend? I did find this web site, http://www.*****. Is that you Murray or someone different? Is there anyone that does Photo Workshops or tours in Skagway?

Tim

That is me, Tim. Nobody runs true photo tours at Skagway either - though every tour is a photo tour in country like this :) The biggest advantage of using an independent tour operator is that photo stops are made much more often, and often exactly where you want to stop if you ask and it's possible - with the cruiseline buses that isn't the case.

I'm just beginning research as we are planning on booking a cruise in 2010 - and I want to be sure I book the itinerary that best fits what we want to do and see

! I love your pictures. So beautiful! I have read elsewhere about the rail road trips through the White Pass. Do you have to book this through the ship or can you book this independently? Also, can you take the train one way and the highway the other way? I do not want to rent a car, but would love the opportunity for photo stops. I also like the idea of a train ride through the pass. We will have a girl's group, not sure how many yet, but I have a feeling I will be the "excursion director".:D

Tim, I don't know what your other stops are, but if you're stopping in Juneau, there is a wildlife photo safari - I found the guy's website on a google search, but several cruise lines offer his tour as ship's excursions, so if you're coming in by ship he makes you book through them. I've booked it for my upcoming cruise.

Yukon, which train trip (length) do you recommend? I will probably do independent booking. We have driven to Emerald lake in the past using your guide, which is a must!

Just another question. Are you still considering writing a guide for the Haines Hwy? I enjoyed my journey on the Hwy. but one of your guides would really be helpful!:D

Yukon, which train trip (length) do you recommend? I will probably do independent booking. We have driven to Emerald lake in the past using your guide, which is a must!

Just another question. Are you still considering writing a guide for the Haines Hwy? I enjoyed my journey on the Hwy. but one of your guides would really be helpful!:D

If you like trains, the longer on the WP&YR the better. The trip up Lake Bennett in particular (on the 9-hour train/bus that is available) is wonderful because you're truly in the wilderness for 30+ miles, with the gold rush ghost town as a bonus. If you take that trip, the first cabin you come to as you approach Carcross is mine :)

I hope to have a Haines Highway guide out in late May.

Murray

Our ship will not be docking at Ketchikan so that will not be an option. Are their tours that take you out to see the bears a long the Klondike HWY? If Skagway isnot a very good Wildlife viewing area, what else would anyone recommend to do in Skagway? We are there from 7AM - 8:30PM.

Tim

Princess does a survey of cruise passengers to determine which excursions were the most well-liked. The 2008 results were recently posted on their Web site -- http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na971

Here is a summary of the results:

Juneau:

Co-Shore Excursions:

Alaska's Whales & Rainforest Trails, Gastineau Guiding Company

Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter Tour, TEMSCO Helicopters

Rainforest Canopy & Zipline Expedition, Alaska Canopy Adventures

Ketchikan:

Co-Shore Excursions:

Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour, Commercial Fishing Adventures

Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure, Snorkel Alaska

Rainforest Canopy & Zipline Expedition, Alaska Canopy Adventures

Kodiak:

Shore Excursion:

Near Island Sea Kayak Adventure, Orcas Unlimited Charters of Kodiak

Seattle:

Shore Excursion:

Best of Seattle, Gray Line of Seattle

Seward:

Shore Excursion:

Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise, Kenai Fjords Tours

Sitka:

Co-Shore Excursions:

4x4 Wilderness Adventure, Greenling Enterprises

Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest, Allen Marine Tours

Skagway:

Co- Shore Excursions:

Dog Sledding & Glacier Flightseeing, TEMSCO Helicopters

Klondike Rock Climbing & Rappelling, Alaska Mountain Guides

Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4x4, Takshanuk Mountain Trail

Valdez:

Shore Excursion:

Columbia Glacier Cruise, Stan Stephens Cruises

Vancouver:

Shore Excursion:

Capilano Canyon's Natural Beauty, Rockwood Adventures

Victoria:

Shore Excursion:

Enchanting Butchart Gardens, Gray Line West

Whittier:

Shore Excursion:

Blackstone Glacier Adventure Cruise, Prince William Sound Cruise & Tours

We used "Dyea Dave" in Skagway and had a great, reasonably priced, tour. He will listen to your preferences and make suggestions, then put together a semi-custom tour. Since you're into photography, I'd recommend going up White Pass in one direction by road and the other direction by train. Other suggestions are the Gold Rush Cemetery a mile outside of town, a tour of the ghost town of Dyea, or having the train drop you off at the first stop and hiking to Denver Glacier.

Ok I hope someone here can help me with some good advice. We are thinking about taking the White Pass Scenic Railway, but we aren't sure if we want to spend that kind of money for 3 people. We also thought about renting a car but know nothing about where to rent a car close to take that scenic route. And how much it would cost to rent a car. Any advice would be so grately appreciated. Thank you very much.

You'll see at least as many bald eagles on the dock in Ketchikan as you will on a summer trip through the bald eagle preserve - the huge world-famous eagle gathering happens in November ( http://www.baldeaglefestival.org/ ). In Skagway, there are no good wildlife sighting areas, but in mid-June the best place is up the Klondike Highway looking for bears - not guaranteed by a long shot, but it does happen. Spectacular scenery, though, is everywhere - here's what the drive up the highway looks like: http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html .

Is there a bus or guided tour? DH is not a fan of driving in unknown places.

Yes, just from researching.

We plan to book the rail/bus and dog carting combo. Haven't done it yet but that's what we're leaning towards, as I don't care to worry about driving on vacation, I will do this with a private tour company not through the ship.

Here is a link I found

http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/yukonrail.htm

Hope it helps. There are others just search here and you will find them.

If you like trains, the longer on the WP&YR the better. The trip up Lake Bennett in particular (on the 9-hour train/bus that is available) is wonderful because you're truly in the wilderness for 30+ miles, with the gold rush ghost town as a bonus. If you take that trip, the first cabin you come to as you approach Carcross is mine :)

I hope to have a Haines Highway guide out in late May.

Murray

Thanks for the information. I was curious about the 9-hour trip. Wilderness would be nice, hopefully, we could see some wildlife! I knew I would enjoy the ghost town.

When we went to Carcross 2 years ago, I thought about you when we got there (by car and with your guide!). I wondered where you lived. Since you've moved I guess it's safe to say where your cabin is located.:D

I'm looking forward to the guide for Haines!:)

Ok I hope someone here can help me with some good advice. We are thinking about taking the White Pass Scenic Railway, but we aren't sure if we want to spend that kind of money for 3 people. We also thought about renting a car but know nothing about where to rent a car close to take that scenic route. And how much it would cost to rent a car. Any advice would be so grately appreciated. Thank you very much.

You can rent a car from Avis in Skagway for ~ $100/day or a little less. Make an advance reservation, as they do run out of cars.

Is there a bus or guided tour? DH is not a fan of driving in unknown places.

We did a rail/bus tour to the Yukon in 2007 with Chilkoot Charters, and we're doing the longer rail/bus tour to Carcross in May with the same company: http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

You can rent a car from Avis in Skagway for ~ $100/day or a little less. Make an advance reservation, as they do run out of cars.

We did a rail/bus tour to the Yukon in 2007 with Chilkoot Charters, and we're doing the longer rail/bus tour to Carcross in May with the same company: http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

I am also looking at those trips for our mid June arrival. Based on what I have read, the Eagle Preserve is not very good in June, correct? If it is not, then I am considering one of these from Chilkoot Charters. Can anyone tell me their experience with this charter as well as what to expect on these. Please keep in mind I like to photograph. How long do you typically stay at each location for viewing and photographing? Thanks Tim

What is the difference between the three bus and rail

combination tours?

We currently have 3 combination bus and rail excursions:

1) White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1

3/4 hours on train/return to Skagway by bus 2) Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion

Duration: 7.5 Hours (Depart 7:30AM ~ Return 3:00PM)

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post

3/4 hours on train/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy

Camp/Emerald Lake/From Fraser/Carcross/Emerald Lake

and return to Skagway by bus

3) Skagway/Carcross Bus & Rail Excursion

Duration: 9 Hours (Depart 7:30AM ~ Return 4:30PM)

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot Dining Hall

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser/Lake

Bennett/Carcross by train - 4 1/2 hours on train + 1 1/2

hour lunch break at Lake Bennett - Bus from Carcross to

Emerald Lake and return to Skagway

Yukon,

I read about a company (can't remember the name) in Skagway that has a boat excursion to see wildlife. Do you know anything about it?

Thank you

I read about a company (can't remember the name) in Skagway that has a boat excursion to see wildlife. Do you know anything about it?

I don't know who that is, but will repeat that there is no dependable wildlife viewing out of Skagway (or Haines) - though some get lucky.

I am also looking at those trips for our mid June arrival. Based on what I have read, the Eagle Preserve is not very good in June, correct? If it is not, then I am considering one of these from Chilkoot Charters. Can anyone tell me their experience with this charter as well as what to expect on these. Please keep in mind I like to photograph. How long do you typically stay at each location for viewing and photographing? Thanks Tim

What is the difference between the three bus and rail

combination tours?

We currently have 3 combination bus and rail excursions:

1) White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

3/4 hours on train/return to Skagway by bus 2) Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion

Duration: 7.5 Hours (Depart 7:30AM ~ Return 3:00PM)

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post

3/4 hours on train/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy

Camp/Emerald Lake/From Fraser/Carcross/Emerald Lake

and return to Skagway by bus

3) Skagway/Carcross Bus & Rail Excursion

Duration: 9 Hours (Depart 7:30AM ~ Return 4:30PM)

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot Dining Hall

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser/Lake

Bennett/Carcross by train - 4 1/2 hours on train + 1 1/2

hour lunch break at Lake Bennett - Bus from Carcross to

Emerald Lake and return to Skagway

See if this helps..................

BUS & RAIL EXCURSIONS

1) White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours / Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM

Itinerary: 1 3/4 hours on train to White Pass Summit & Fraser by train - Return to Skagway by bus

2) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 7 Hours / Departure: 7:30AM

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post / Yukon Wildlife Museum / Husky Puppy Camp

Lunch Included

Itinerary: Skagway / White Pass Summit / Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser

Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

3) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride

Same as #2 above plus dogsled ride included in this package

4) Skagway / Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion (May 22 - September 2, 2009)

Duration: 9 Hours / Departure: 7:30AM

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall / Parks Canada Interpretive Displays

Lunch Included

Itinerary: 2 1/2 hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett

1 1/2 hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett

2 hours by train to Carcross - Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by

Bus.

Archived