leaving kids for 1st time...any tips?

MamaParrotHead

I'm nervous too leaving my kids. I have one that is 18 mo. (also an 8 year old and 5 year old). I promised myself after we had our first kid that my husband and I would (if no other time) go on a vacation alone with just the two of us for our 10th year anniversary. It is approaching and we have never had a vacation alone. I don't feel guilty at all, but a little nervous naturally. I am not leaving my kids with grandma but a church neighbor. My oldest two are looking forward to it (and it is a month away) because they get to spend the week with their friends. (Gamecube alert!). I chose this particular family because not only do my oldest have a connection buy their 13 year old daughter treats my oldest like a long lost doll. He gets totally spoiled and she babies him to peices. He also pitches a complete fit if the dad of the family passes him buy (like at church) and doesn't pick him up. The mom is very open and lets the kids be kids and encourages them to PLAY! I picked not only someone that is convient but an entire family that will welcome my entire family with open arms. I have let them stay with their aunt (their FAVORITE aunt) for a week before (and I didn't even go anywhere) and they had a BLAST.

That week with their aunt..they went to chuck e cheese, mcd's, a brick place (learned about brick making stuff), made and passed out valentines gifts at her office, decorated cookies, the zoo, and made a volcano! WOW! That's better than CAMP! They absolutely look forward to staying with somone. Another time I let my oldest stay with my mom and she built a treehouse just for him for when he came down! Plus they call her the Pancake Grandma because she makes pancakes and a large breakfast (we eat cereal) every morning she is here. Another time my sister took my oldest 2 and my neice to six-flags for the weekend. Even though they are young, they have been taught to value their time with other people and consider it a vacation. I've always had school or something. This time it is for US! It is, however, my first time to leave my 18 mo and like any first time, I'm a bit nervous. It is interesting though that we are going on a great vacation and the kids think THEY are getting the vacation...hehe.

It is important to pick your babysitter wisely though because I guarantee you that while my neighbor is nice to my kids, she would never do all of that.

Though I do not have any children I only have this to say...

I love kids and only hope one day I will have my own. I feel with or without children, you should be able to enjoy each other outside of the kids. This means you owe yourselves a vacation for all your hard work and all you each have given your family. Sometimes we get so consumed in everything else, you can easily forget that it is just as important to spend time together, as well as with your children.

John

DH and I have always had some time away since the beginning of our kids lives! By the time my daughter was 6 I was getting the "mom, why are you calling me? I'm in the middle of ... and I just talked to you yesterday!" I even get the same question from my mom! As long as you are leaving them with someone who loves them and with whom they feel secure, you should feel secure. Simply leave medical cards, a notarized authorization for your mom to seek/approve medical care, and some treats.

BTW...in the case of a true emergency, your mom can get in touch with you. The phone number should be in you document packet - just make sure she has a copy of the pertinent info for speedier access; ie itinerary, cabin number, etc.

And ABOVE all else....RELAX and enjoy yourself! After all you know first hand what kind of a caretaker your mother is, and you wouldn't have even considered the idea of leaving your kids with her if she weren't a good one!

We have 5 Children and took our first major holiday without them 2 years ago. The ages ranged from 1 1/2 to 13 years. We thought our kids would find it terrible being separated that long from us. Although they missed us, they enjoyed their break from Mom and Dad and our daily routines. We also reminded them that we would pick up some small souvenirs for each of them.

We left them with a babysitter who had taken care of them through out her high school years. Having a familiar freindly face with them makes it much easier.

We pre made a lot of the dinners and put them in the freezer. This made life easier for the babysitter and allowed the kids to enjoy their favourite meals. We also left adedquate money for a couple of pizza nights or McDonalds(UGH).

We also hired a cleaning lady who came in to the house three times to tidy up and help with the laundry. The kids got spoiled because she would also clean up their rooms relieving them of that responsibility and the constant nagging from Mom and Dad to do same.

Once we were on the ship we made a point of emailing the kids daily to update them on our trip and catch up on whats happening at home. An Important note. Our kids would reply to the emails daily and would end with the customary hugs and kisses x's and o's. Tell your children 5 or 6 will suffice to express their love. Our kids sent us 21plus pages. When they were printed off @ $1.00 per page those hugs and kisses got pretty expensive. Fortunately the internet manager on the ship gave us a bit of a break.

We are a close family also, but we found they still managed to have fun without us. It probably is hardest on Mom than anyone else.

We are leaving in three weeks for a two week holiday sans children. This time they will have their favourite cousin to stay with them. We can all barely wait.

Have a great time

My wife and I have 4 daughters (ages 13,16,18,19) and we have traveled a fair amount with and without them over the past 15-19 years. The hint I can give is to be 100% comfortable with your choice of babysitters. Have trust in them because your kids will be just fine. Try to communicate once or twice a day but be very careful with phone calls. I have found that my children get along great without us until after they talk to us on the phone. The calls back are to get an update on how they are doing. It is not to chatter on about how much you miss each other. Remember, you are the adult so act like it on the phone. Cry about missing your children after you hang up. Don't EVER do it on the phone. That never helps the situation.

My only other hint is that the best thing you can do for your children is to strengthen your relationship with your spouse. Therefore, take your vacation together and enjoy the time alone with him/her. It will really help you appreciate your family better and will make your familiy appreciate you better. Enjoy your holiday. Your family will be fine.

This will be the 3rd time, I leave my children for a cruise. I always leave them with someone I trust completely. I also write cards for each of them and have their grandma give them one each day we are gone. They love them and I really enjoy writing them. We also talk to them on the phone on port days twice. I wish we could call them a little more but the calls from ship to shore are to expensive and once I get them on the phone I don't have the heart to say " I sorry your socks kept falling down but this phone call is costing me your college education" ha. Happy Parents make even Happier children so time away is needed.

Hi there! I too am leaving my kids ages 14, 12, 8 and 5 for our cruise. When we told our kids we were going they were so excited! The reason being is that I was able to get the sitter we had used up until my 14 year started sitting for us. They love her so much, our 5 year old asked us to please leave tomorrow!! Talk about breaking the heart! However, I feel so good about leaving them because I know that they will be well taken care of and they will have as much fun (or so they think) as their dad and me. I already told them that communication would be very little or not at all until we were off the boat. Of course the sitter will know how to get a hold of us. Honestly, this was the best thing we could have done for our marriage and for the kids to see that mom and dad also need some time away and that they deserve that. We never had a honeymoon, so this is our delayed one,15 years later. This is our first cruise and I am so thrilled. We are sailing Holiday on 2/24. I hope that anyone here who posted about guilt can get past it and let your kids see that you and your spouse are still in love and need that relationship rejuvination!!! Remember, they (the kids) will not be living with you forever, but hopefully your spouse will. --merry

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who gave tips.

My husband and I will be travelling alone (away from our 12 and 9 year old boys) for the first time ever in almost 15 years of marriage. Our previous "alone" time is limited to three single overnights....its good to know that others are dealing with the same things.

Archived