Need help to plan a US East Coast train trip

jp2001

Hello!
I’m thinking about taking a cruise that sails from my home port (Quebec City, Canada) and goes to Fort Lauderdale. Instead to fly back home, I would like to take the opportunity to do a nice train trip, stopping in some of the best cities of US East Coast. To do that, I need your help because I don’t know what are the not-to-be-missed cities and attractions. I definitely want to stop in Washington, DC but I don’t know what other city I should visit. I’ve been to New York a few times, I liked it but could pass my turn this time in order to see other places. What itinerary would you suggest (I want to stop in 3-4 cities, not including Fort Lauderdale). I love National Parks and this type of stuff but it won’t be easy this time (don’t forget, I’ll be travelling by train, with a big suitcase since I’ll be coming back from a cruise). Then, I need your suggestions of cities to visit that have a train station nearby (I’ll probably be staying at youth hostel or inexpensive hotels). Your suggestions may include cities that are on the way to come back to Canada via the Niagara region, via Montreal or via Maritime provinces. When you list a city, please tell me what I should do while I am there and also list restaurants that you like. Thank you in advance, I’m sure you will be of great help, as usual!

The Adirondack, Amtrak's NYC-Montreal train, has great scenery - it travels right along the Hudson River to Albany, then travels up through the Adirondacks and along the shore of Lake Champlain. Since the train leaves NYC early in the morning, the main part of travel (probably all, if you're travelling in summer) is done in daylight. You do have to allow extra time for Customs at the border - the two times I've taken the trip Customs took about an hour (but that was pre-9/11). Hope this helps!

If you look at the web site for Am track you will find several runs from South Florida to NY. You for sure don't want to miss Washington DC. You can walk to several reasonable hotels from the train station.

I also suggest a day or so in Savannah, Georgia for a taste of Southern Hospitality. I am not 100% sure the train station to be within walking distance to downtown but its not far. Be sure to eat some local seafood and a trip to " The lady and Son Resturant " is a must.

Amtrack will be happy to help you plan such a trip.

I agree, Amtrak is a good place to start, at least you can see what is along the way. The other great source is AAA, in the states that's our Auto Club, they have great travel info as well.

Some great cities or spots are St Augustine, Fl, lots of fun
Myrtle Beach and all the Carolinas
Maryland Harbor area
so much to see. ENJOY

Archived