Star Flyer or Clipper Cabin Selection HELP

MSEm

We are booked on the Star Clippier Grrek Isles back to back, the Southern and the Northern cruises, from Athens for May 2009. I have selected cabin 330 (A Cat 2) on the Clipper deck. I wanted a cabin that we could stay in for both weeks. There were some cabins located on the lower deck. Also there was 1 Cat 3 open on the Clipper deck, but the cabin opened into the Dining Room. Should I keep the Cat 2 Cabin 330 or downgrade to the Cat 3 opeing into the dining room?

Also any information or hints on the Sailings from Athens would be very helpful.

Emily

PS We Also need a hotel for 4 to 5 nights after the cruise. Any suggestions?

We had 330 on our Star Flyer cruise. Very good location. There is not much difference between a 2 or 3 however. Being on the Clipper deck was nice and 330 had easy access to the stairway to the main deck. The location made you just a few steps from the Pursers office & Sloop Shop and very easy access to the Dining Room....but far enough away that you didn't get any of the noise. I would only switch if you could get 329, which is a Cat 3 right next door. We had actually reserved 329, but they upgraded us to 330. I don't think I would switch for the cabin next to the Dining Room. There is usually a lot of activity going on there.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info. We will keep Cabin 330. The only other cabin on Clipper deck that was available for both weeks was 310 Opening into the dining room. All the other cabins available for both weeks were on the lower deck. We are doing a back to back and I really like not having to pack up to move to a new cabin for the second week.

I also have a question about doing some laundry. I usually wash out in the sink and hang to dry in the cabin.

Any other suggestions about the Med cruises?

Thanks again,

Emily

I guess it would depend on how humid it is. In Tahiti, the humidity kept things from drying too quick. We just sent off stuff to the laundry....not that expensive & back the next day.

One nice thing about 330 is that it is the first cabin after the deck rise, so there are a couple of steps just past the pursers office. It gets you up a little higher from the waterline so if you run into some ses, it won't be splashing over the porthole as much....little better view over the horizon also.

Haven't cruised the Med yet, so can't help there. It has been on our minds though.

Have a great cruise!

We lived in Athens Mero area August 1975 to November 1976. During that time it was dry. Very unsually to get any rain after May 1 until Oct 1. I remember that the waters were cool. We snorkeled with long sleeve shirts and used light weight belt. We also kept sneakers on if we were walking in the water.

MSEm

We're going to Athens in October this year. A Greek friend of ours recommended the Hotel Attalos. The rear facing rooms have a direct view of the Acropolis. Anyway, the hotel has a web page and is fairly inexpensive (94 Euros a nite for a double room -- breakfast is an additional 8 Euros). We plan to stay there for a week or so before getting on the Star Clipper's 37 nite cruise from Athens to Thailand.

Keep 330..better than to open into the dining room with all the waiters serving. We had 337 and were quite happy there.

Have stayed in the Attalos...great for the money and excellent location. You can walk to the Plaka.

Have a wonderful trip!

S&K

If you like calamari, try Smile restaurant. It is on the same street as the new acropolis museum. Tsokri Park 1 is what their cards says. They have a great grilled calamari and the wife/waitess lived in Chicago and speaks great english. very friendly and good food. We ate there three times.

Thanks for the resturant tip. It's almost impossible to get good calimari in our area.

I remember my first dinner in Greece in 1976. Greek Salad, Bread, Fried zucchini squash, and grilled calimair. Also Restina (local wine 1 kilo for 2 drachma). Thoses were the days, where. It was cheapier to eat out than to cook at home.

MSEm

Archived