Favorite Things-Baltics , Paris , London

brazilgirl

Here's what we found to keep the kids entertained while riding around in Russia. We explained to them a bit about the history of the Soviet Union. As we drove around St. Petersburg and its environs, the kids played a sort of scavenger game where they would look for symbols of the Soviet regime. They became very good at identifying buildings from the Soviet era, Lada cars, and pointing out the hammer and sickle on various edifices. When we rode the metro (don't miss, kids will love this), they correctly distinguished the Soviet station (carvings of workers in stark stone) from other stations (very ornate with glass chandeliers). They found the guide's information about current Russian life much more interesting with a rudimentary knowledge of its earlier form of government.

Our tour guide related everything back to Anastasia for our daughter and she was enthralled with the whole visit to St Petersburg. I had expected her to tune out on the history side but with the links to Anastasia, it all became relevant. My daughter was very moved when she actually saw Anastasia's family tomb. We actually watched the movie before we left home even though whe was 13.

SelectSys-some excellent suggestions. Did you go on the Dragon´s Breath roller coaster in Tivoli Gardens? My DD loves scary rides too.I am originally from California-my sister lives in Oakland.

I don't remember the Dragon's breath. Our stop at Tivoli was really quite short and we didn't do many rides at all. On this trip we had already spent a full day at a theme park outside Paris and we went more to Tivoli to look around.

When you visit in CA, you'll need to take your kids to Magic Mountain sometime if they like roller coasters. It is my kids favorite as I think they have over 15 coasters of all types.

We have reservation at the Rennaissance Chancery Court ( a Marriott property-have you been there SelectSys?)

Yes, we stayed at the Chancery Court the last time we were in London. It is a very nice hotel with a great location. Service is great and the staff, while a bit formal for my usual tastes, was still welcoming and helpful. One issue for us was that the concierge lounge had a minimum age of 14 for entry which we ignored.

Actually , I am thinking of changing my reservation to a small luxury boutique hotel called " Royal Park" for 2 reasons-first , I like smaller hotels and second , it is really close to the parks , which would be nice for the kids after a 14 day cruise.It will be a bit more expensive , but....I am still debating the issue internally.

I´ve been to Magic Mountain!When I was a young lass, ha!California is great.

I will have to rewatch "Anastasia " with the kids .I am trying to think of cool movies for the kids to watch as an introduction to the places we will visit. National Treasure 2 is good , as well as the Da Vinci code. Any other suggestions?

Kim

I usually use priceline for London to get two rooms (I always call the hotel as soon as I get a winning bid to request them adjoining).

Usually, I choose hotels within the South Kensington area and bid around £65 plus VAT. It's a nice area and most of the hotels there are in easy walking distance to the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. They're both awesome places to visit with kids & admission is free, aside from the special exhibits.

The London Eye is a must do. We did it during the day but apparently, it's awesome at night too. It's best to book tickets in advance - you can call the day before and collect them from a machine when you arrive.

If Buckingham Palace is open while you're there, it is worth doing a tour. And as others have said - the hop on, hop off bus is wonderful.

My kids love the London Dungeons but I personally think they're a tourist trap and would avoid them unless you have some spare time.

There's so many other things to see in London but the two museums and the London Eye are must do's.

Kensington Palace tours are quite interesting for adults but it's probably not the most interesting London attraction to visit with kids.

If you like Japanese food, we find Matsuri to be a good place to take kids. It's more reasonably priced than many London restaurants. There's two Matsuri restaurants and I don't remember the URL but you can Google Matsuri and book online.

Kim,

On our last trip to London my son (11 years old) and I stayed at the Sofitel St. James. We loved this hotel. It was steps away from lovely St. James park, Green Park and Buckingham Palace. (I found that these parks were a lot lusher and visually more pleasing than Hyde park.)

Covent Garden and Soho are within easy walking distance. It is on a small street that doesn't have any traffic going by, so it is very quiet. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The only problem you might encounter is that the bed is so comfortable you will want to lounge in it all day. Wherever you decide to stay, have a great time.

Val

Actually , I am thinking of changing my reservation to a small luxury boutique hotel called " Royal Park" for 2 reasons-first , I like smaller hotels and second , it is really close to the parks , which would be nice for the kids after a 14 day cruise.

The Marriott Marble Arch is close to the parks if you have any points that you want to use. We walked back from the Dianna memorial to the hotel in about 15-20 minutes.

I´ve been to Magic Mountain!When I was a young lass, ha!California is great.

When your kids get a bit older you should take them if you have a chance. It is truly "roller coaster heaven!"

My kids love the London Dungeons but I personally think they're a tourist trap and would avoid them unless you have some spare time.

Just say no to the Dungeon! Long lines, expensive for what it is, etc. This was the biggest waste of time and money I have experienced in London. Maybe if you're going to be in town for a month it would be OK. For a first visit this is way down on the list.

It was steps away from lovely St. James park, Green Park and Buckingham Palace. (I found that these parks were a lot lusher and visually more pleasing than Hyde park.)

That is true. You reminded me of a hotel I used to stay at in this area a long time ago - the St. Ermin's. I also like Regent's Park a lot which can be combined with a visit to the zoo.

Actually , I had a reservation at the Marriott Marble Arch , which I cancelled! I am a bit obsessive about hotel searching. I read tripadvisor for hours , look at maps , read guide books.

I am a bit fixated on a small boutique hotel experience right now-I am considering Parkcity , Royal Park and The Sumner. They all look lovely. The Marble /arch did seem perfect before I became obsessed with this idea!

I will avoid the dungeon at all costs....

Kim

Paris, Muesums, Museums, Museums. Take the Metro, and hit the streets. youre kids will love it.. My son was 9 he first time we went. He loved it. The D"orsay, the Louvre, Picasso and Dali, Rodin....Dont forget Notra Dam, and Sacre Cour in Momarte (not sure if i spelled that right) and the Ilse De Cite. Take a day to see Versaille. My son is now 23, he spent four months in paris last year .im sure it was because of our earlier trips...

Stay on the left bank, far more atmosphere. Pic a hotel close to the metro.

Archived