Denali Shuttle Length Questions?????

sbflcruiser

We are going to be in Denali in June of this year. Because we are traveling with a group of family and friends, we are doing group travel. Wanted to know the approximate length of the Tolkat, Eielson and Wonder Lake trips round trip? We are looking at the first departure in the AM, but need to make sure of our time frames.

Thanks,

Susan

The web site should tell you the approximate travel time, but I believe it is 8 hours to Eielson and back and 11 hours to/from Wonder Lake. That assumes you stay on the same bus and don't leave it to hike. I would go at least to Eielson rather than turn around at Toklat.

Definitely don't turn around at Toklat (which is 6.5 hours) - the best views of Denali (aka Mt. McKinley) are past that. Note that you can only book 6 people per shuttle reservation - when traveling with groups I often booked the much more expensive Tundra Wilderness Tour to keep us together.

We went to Eielson and the round trip ride went by quickly! We were lucky that the mountain was out for a few hours in the morning; as we ate lunch at Eielson it clouded over. That and the warnings about mosquitos at Wonder Lake that day, made us decide not to "buy up" and extend our ticket.

We went to Eielson on Aug. 7th, and it was raining lightly as the tour began, then changed to snow! We never saw the mountain from inside the park, and you couldn't see anything from Eielson. I was glad we weren't going any farther that day.

Archived