Would you be offended?

HighSeaslover

We are planning a surprise b-day party for my BIL on the Glory next week. During dinner (not formal night) each person in our party is dressing as one of Gilligan's Island stars and we have ordered a cake and have a MP3 player with the theme song. If your table was next to ours would this bother you. I promise we will not be loud and out of hand just laughing and having fun. No big drinkers here.

Dining Room probably not the place. While personally, I would think it would be really funny and I would probably try to join in as a guest star castaway, some folks are REALLY SENSITIVE about the DR. They don't even want kids in there, so I doubt they would want Gilligan, Ginger and The Professor.:eek:

Try the buffet, or one of the bars or public rooms. I promise you, if you do it in the DR, especially with music, you will get crazy mad stares from some of the more serious types.

I don't believe outside music is allowed to be brought into the dining room. You'd best check w/the Matire d' first.

As far as bothering me? Not really; there's already so much hoopla going on.

But....as "tnt09" said, perhaps another venue would be more appropriate.:confused: At any rate, h.b. to the BIL!

It wouldn't offend our group/family at all. Sounds like fun. I do agree with the other posts - just don't plan it on one of the formal nights. Don't worry about the few stares you may get. I haven't been one to ever care much about what people think anyway. It is your cruise too and there is "entertainment" in the dining room, right?:)

Hope you have a great cruise!

Who cares if it's the dining room. If waiters can dance on tables, start huge conga lines and people can wear shorts, what's the big deal with a few people having some fun dressing up??:rolleyes:

Seriously, some people need to loosen up and stop making the dining room out to be some high class black tie affair...especially if it's not formal night.

Tell your friends to have a great time and don't worry about the few people who might be offended by your fun. ;)

We are planning a surprise b-day party for my BIL on the Glory next week. During dinner (not formal night) each person in our party is dressing as one of Gilligan's Island stars and we have ordered a cake and have a MP3 player with the theme song. If your table was next to ours would this bother you. I promise we will not be loud and out of hand just laughing and having fun. No big drinkers here.

I wouldn't be offended......but some people object to flip-flops, shorts, t-shirts, hats etc.... And "Gilligans Island" wouldn't be "Gilligan's Island" without the right costumes, would it? It would ruin the ambiance of those who need "a certain atmosphere" for food to taste good.

If you are concerned about "annoying others"....do it somewhere else. Otherwise you might be the recipient of unwanted comments and stares and ruin YOUR good time.

Have fun!

Honestly, I would probably pull my chair up to your table so I could join :D

However, there are people who don't have much of a sense of humor :rolleyes: and they would probably get pissy about it. I would say, if it is okay with the maitre d' then go for it. It's your vacation, enjoy it how you want!

I wouldn't mind at all..it sounds fun. Hell, I'd sing along with the theme song. :D

It's comical how something so innocent can bother somebody's dining experience

...to those that would be bothered by it in the dining room, do you get up in a huff and leave when they conga around the dining room and dance on tables with everybody waving their filthy table cloth???..lol !!:rolleyes:

Who cares if it's the dining room. If waiters can dance on tables' date=' start huge conga lines and people can wear shorts, what's the big deal with a few people having some fun dressing up??:rolleyes:

Seriously, some people need to loosen up and stop making the dining room out to be some high class black tie affair...especially if it's not formal night.

Tell your friends to have a great time and don't worry about the few people who might be offended by your fun. ;)[/quote']

I suggested the buffet area due to them wanting to play music, not due to their attire.

Like I said, it sounds like a hoot, but if they want to play an iPod, I really don't think the dinning room is the place--unless things have changed drastically since I last sailed Carnival (Fall 2007).

I suggested the buffet area due to them wanting to play music, not due to their attire.

Like I said, it sounds like a hoot, but if they want to play an iPod, I really don't think the dinning room is the place--unless things have changed drastically since I last sailed Carnival (Fall 2007).

Actually, the iPod might not be loud enough to hear over the music they play over the loud speakers...the clapping and singing...it gets pretty crazy towards the end of dinner.

This really adds nothing to the op question, but when I went to my physical therapist the whole office was in Gilligans island dress. It was halloween. They looked totally AWESOME! They could have all just walked off the set! My guy was the professor. *sigh*:D I always loved him back in the day.;)

Archived