Antigua - beach/snorkel vs Eli tours

cruisecouple88

We are going to Antigua soon and have been debating on what to do while we are there. We actually booked the ElI Eco tour, but after reading a recent post, I am not sure this is for us. We love the beach and the water. We love snokeling. We want something relaxing, but do not want to spend a lot of time with site seeing or cultural stuff. We want to relax on a beach for a while, snorkel, sail a little (but not for 3 hours before reaching a destination), and soak up the sun. Do you think Eli Eco tours is for us or should we just find a beach somewhere for the day. Or is there another tour that would be better for us. Any recommendations will be helpful. Thanks!!

I feel bad that my post may be causing people to change the plans, especially since this tour always gets very high ratings. Another poster suggested and I believe they may be right that our tour was messed up from the start by the long delay at Sandals picking up passengers. Apparently spending the first 3 hours of the 6 hour tour on the boat is not the normal tour. Time slipped away and we were very rushed the second part of the tour. In fact, we were all sweating about the time on the return because we got back to the port about 20 minutes before departure. The good thing is the boat is literally right at the ship.

I think the best thing to do is to ask Eli to specifically tell you (or post it here for everyone) hour by hour what to expect on the tour, then you'll know for sure. I will say again the last 3 hours were great. I wouldn't want anyone to miss Hell's Gate because it's truly unique.

P.S.-Eli was not on our tour that day and maybe this affected things as well.

We've done the EcoTour 4 times. We wouldn't have repeated it even once if half the day had been spent doing nothing. We're active (hiking and/or snorkeling in nearly every port, every cruise), and have never had a problem with the activity level on the EcoTour. And you're going out to the reef - not searching for maybe good snorkeling from the beach. Eli's EcoTour is the only tour that takes you to Hells Gate. No one else does that. I'd highly encourage you to contact Eli, www.adventureantigua.com, and ask him your specfic questions. Nell Fuller will likely be the person who gets back to you - this business is family operated, highly reputable, and depends on their good reputation.

They are very, very customer oriented and want to make sure their guests have a good time. There's a little known story out there, involving another popular tour operator, who contracts with the ships and does some independent stuff, as well. They were returning their guests to the ships one day, and ran out of gas in the mouth of the harbor, rendering them unable to get their guests back to the dock. Adventure Antigua was returning about that time, saw them, and realized that the guests about the other excursion were in danger of missing their ship. The Adventure Antigua crew stopped, boarded the passengers and returned them in time to make their ships.

I know Capt. Tony and Capt. JD - Eli's captains. They're both great guys, and you should have a very good time.

I've ready only 2 negative evaluations of Eli's tours in the past 7 years (we did our first excursion with them in 2002, and I was the very first cruiser to post a about Eli on these boards, back when Cruise Critic was still on AOL). That record has got to count for something!

I took Eli's Eco tour on his 52 ft. power Catemaran last January. It was one of the absolute best tours that I have taken in the Caribbean over the last 16 years of cruising. My best memory is when we went to Bird Island. I wasn't particularly interested in hiking to the top of the hill to bird watch so I was given the suggestion that I might like the beach on the other side of the "island" from our beached boat. It took me 1minute to follow a path to a wonderful quiet beach. There was some kind of t-shirt tourist hut there, but no one was there then. I got to sunbathe, ALL ALONE, on a beautiful beach with a quiet bay at my feet. I fell asleep it was so peaceful and quiet! Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd have that experience, especially on a tour. I did miss the snorkeling lesson (my fault for falling asleep)but was retrieved by another member of our group in time for a wonderful homemade lunch (I would definitely let the crew know you were going to the other side of the island so you wouldn't get left behind). Maybe I was just lucky to have the beach all to myself as there were a few other smaller boats beached next to ours, but it was a once in a lifetime experience. "Hell's Gate" was fun too. I wasn't crazy about climbing all over the rocks and again I was given an alternative suggestion of just swimming to the "jacuzzi" and hanging out there. You really could feel the power of the waves and the ebb and flow of the water.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Eli's Eco Tour after my experience. I'm sure each trip is different but I loved our trip, even when it rained as we returned!

We have done Eli's eco tour at least 15 times usually going twice during our two week May trips to Antigua. On our November trips, we do it usually only once. The waters are rougher in Antigua in November, calm as glass in May. We still snorkel in November though, it's not THAT rough, just a little choppy...no white caps.

We love every minute of the tours. My personal favorite is the jacuzzi at Hells Gate. We have never been on the boat for 3 hours before we had the chance to get off the boat to snorkel, I think perhaps your time frame was a little off. As far as the teenagers not enjoying it, well, what teenager is ever happy traveling with their parents? I'm not shy, so I talk to everyone. I have only ever met one person, a female brit, who didn't like the tour. She didn't like anything, it was too sunny, then it rained for about 3 minutes and she said if she had wanted rain she would have stayed in the UK, she hated the food, her family (hubby & 2 teenagers), snorkeling, putting on suntan lotion and those are just the things I can remember while writing this.

I realize you can't please everyone all the time, but I think Antigua Adventures does a darn good job of trying. Considering we have met hundreds of people over all our eco tours, listening to only one complain is pretty good odds. Have you ever tried the catamaran tours, or Jolly Roger type tours, OMG, I would rather pull out all my fingernails than go on one of those again. Wall to wall people, very loud music, drunks getting sick, not my idea of fun. Anyway, that is my two cents and we will be doing the eco tour again on our next trip to Antigua.

Like jlmolner, I was one of the original people, singing the praises of Eli's Eco Tour.

I initiated so many endorsements, for his wonderful excursion, that I was accused of being paid, to do so! I was so impressed with the quality of his operation, that I wanted people to be aware of it.

Anyone who has the pleasure of taking a tour, with ELI as captain, experiences a true adventure. Once you meet him, you will be treated like a life-long friend.

I have taken MANY southern caribbean excursions; both private and ship sponsored. Eli's Eco Tour ranks at the TOP of all of them.

*** I had decided to quit publicizing his tour, for fear that some people might spoil it. That it would become so popular, that it would lose its true adventure/charm, or the personalized atmosphere. Fortunately, Eli has not let his popularity, change his approach to his business. Despite purchasing new vessels, he deliberately limits the numbers of passengers, to provide the best "adventure" possible.

MAGNUM

We just returned from a visit to Antigua last week. We too love snorkeling. We've heard lots of excellent reports from others re: Adventure Antigua eco-tours (Eli and company). We elected instead to try his Classic Sail tour. In a word -- outstanding!

My wife had a less than good experience with a dive tour the previous day and was reluctant to go out. After motoring out to Cades Reef, we snorkeled. It was fabulous! Eli skippered the boat. His two crew, Jason and Serge were in the water with us (one other couple besides us) and kept an eye on things. The reef is offshore and is great. The boat is a traditional wooden boat built in island tradition. Heavy construction so it doesn't have the bobing motion of more modern sailboats. After reef, motor into a nice little harbor for lunch and more snorkeling. Then change location and more snorkeling. Then the sail for home. Yes, real sailing as in shut the motor off, put up the sails and go. Not as fast as a catamaran (9 knots surfing downwind) but a great solid sail back to the ship.

Of all the tours (7) on last weeks cruise in the southern Caribbean, this is the one we'd do again (probably more than once even).

Magnum PI, I thought it was ME that was accused of being Eli's shill :D.

1maddog2, I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your day on Ocean Nomad. I've followed her story since Eli took her over and had her construction finished, all the way through her launching, return to Antigua, her first regatta, to getting her ready to do excursions. We'll be on her on our nexxt trip to Antigua, January 2010, and I can't wait!

My wife and I just did Eli's Eco tour on January 13, 2009 and we had a fantastic time!

Great Bird Island and Hell's Gate were excellent, but I actually enjoyed the snorkeling the best! The fan coral was some of the best that I have seen at a snorkel sight in the Caribbean in a few years. The coral was large and intact. There was also an abundance of small and medium sized fish of many different varieties!

A few photos should be worth a few more thousand words, so...

The Boat and great crew!

2217477420080875955S600x600Q85.jpg

Great Bird Island!

2806454860080875955S600x600Q85.jpg

Hell's Gate

2046766950080875955S600x600Q85.jpg

One on one Q&A

2257489550080875955S600x600Q85.jpg

Without any hesitation, I highly recommend this tour!

BILL

this sounds great...as long as they dont stop and give the long winded talks about flora/fauna...we want to be in the water, of course the ride is fun..how often do they stop and talk? and for how long?? we will be there in may and its hot. im with shekirk, my dh has had both hips replaced, would love the ride and beach/snorkel but not sitting on a hot boat for a prolonged time. i know this was one person but it sure makes ya think of all the excursions in the past, espically the ones thru the ship where we were stuck sitting in the heat...:( cindy

this sounds great...as long as they dont stop and give the long winded talks about flora/fauna...we want to be in the water, of course the ride is fun..how often do they stop and talk? and for how long?? we will be there in may and its hot. im with shekirk, my dh has had both hips replaced, would love the ride and beach/snorkel but not sitting on a hot boat for a prolonged time. i know this was one person but it sure makes ya think of all the excursions in the past, espically the ones thru the ship where we were stuck sitting in the heat...:( cindy

Cindy, I'm pasting a portion of a recent blog entry from Eli's blog (http://antiguaisland.blogspot.com). It was written specifically in response to similar concerns from another cruiser:

"We collect passengers at the cruise ship dock at minutes to 10 am. At the very latest (even if we do have to pick up any other guests, which sometimes happens), we will be stopped for drinks at Long Island (Jumby Bay) by 11:15 am. Here (since it's an eco tour) we speak about the ecological aspects of the island including the turtles, reef, flats... etc.

Then, as we pass the interesting Maiden Island we speak about its ecology and history, then we’re off to Guiana Island’s mangroves to speak about the habitats and history there Following our exploration of the mangroves, we cruise through the myriad other islands pointing out anything of interest as we pass and arriving at Great Bird Island at noon or very shortly after. This is where we get off the boat to do the nature walk. That wasn't and will never be 3 hours. 10 until 12 in my book is two hours of sight-seeing and education which are some of the things that have made our Eco Tour the #1 selling tour on Antigua. After the nature walk or "hike" as some call it, we come back down to the shore where people are encouraged to take part in the snorkeling lessons. That's probably at about 12:30-12:45 pm. Those who don't want to take part sit on the boat and have drinks, swim, snorkel from the boat, chill on the beach or explore the island some more. This only takes 15-20 minutes. Then we are back on the boat to have lunch. At 1:50 pm, after lunch, we do the short trip to Hells Gate where at 2 pm there are 5 choices every day as follows:

1) Go snorkeling with a guide

2) Go and chill in the "jacuzzi" (tidal pool) at hells gate

3) Follow the guide into the caves of Hells Gate

4) Swim around the boat

5) Chill on the boat.

For 8 years those have been the choices at 2 pm on the Eco tour. Many have their mind so set on checking the caves that they don’t hear the skipper’s instructions about the other things but they are read out every time at 2 pm.

At 2:30 pm we shoot back over to Welch Rock for the final guided snorkeling. Here you have two choices: snorkel with the guides or stay on the boat. Most of the time it is calm there but we haven't figured out how to control the weather and occasionally it can be choppy in Antigua. The review made it sound as if it is rough in Antigua every afternoon and we punish our guests by only snorkeling in the rough afternoons. So strange! Anyway, after a good 30 to 40 mins of snorkeling (if you get in the water with the guides instead of taking a while to get in the water) then we pull the anchor and start heading back into the ship area in St. Johns where we get in at the very latest at 4:15 pm. On the way back there is no stopping for turtles dolphins or other points of interest. We just cruise straight back enjoying traditional rum punch and other drinks.

Our tour is very rigidly structured according to this timeline because we have to fit everything in and be back at the cruise ship dock for 4:15 pm. We have never been late and we try to do it without ever appearing to be in a rush. .... The vast majority of people love this tour because it has a good mix of both ecological and historical info mixed with the usual suspects like snorkeling, swimming, beaching and sight-seeing... If anyone out there is worried about their booked tour. Please email me on elifuller @ hotmail. com or call me on +1 268 725 7263. I am available most of the time to speak about Antigua and my company and assure you that you will not "hate" the eco tour. "

I admit I've cut out some of the blog, to pick the part that most closely addressed your concerns. Should you want to go to the blog and read the entire thing, it's the January 24th entry.

We've done the eco tour 4 times and have loved it every time. I really would encourage you to contact Eli if you have concerns he can address.

thank-you for posting this jodi! i now know that this is not a tour we would enjoy, as we r only interested in beach and snorkeling, not into sitting or walking in the heat. I knew i could count on my critic pals for the truth! we will search elsewhere for what will be best for us, and i am sure this will find its way to some that will love this eco tour! thanks again jodi. cindy

thank-you for posting this jodi! i now know that this is not a tour we would enjoy, as we r only interested in beach and snorkeling, not into sitting or walking in the heat. I knew i could count on my critic pals for the truth! we will search elsewhere for what will be best for us, and i am sure this will find its way to some that will love this eco tour! thanks again jodi. cindy

I'm glad the post helped. For us, Eli's tours are the best we've ever taken. Different people enjoy different things though (guess it's a good thing there are varieties of things to do in each port :D). I'd much rather someone decides in advance that an activity isn't right for them than that they come back and tell everyone how unhappy they were with a particular activity which simply wasn't one they should have taken in the first place. Kudos on doing your research :)

That was a great description. We are booked and looking forward to taking the ECO tour. We will be on the Carnival Victory the week of 2/22/09 and are looking forward to our day in Antigua.

Can you tell Capt. Tony that Jodi and Ernie said hi? Thanks, and have fun!

I have tried to book Eli's tour for our visit to Antigua. Alas, as it's Easter Sunday Eli and his team are taking the day off :(, which I quite understand. So, my question is, for those of you in the know, are we going to have problems with getting a bus or a taxi on Easter Sunday so we can go to a beach or other attraction? Also, are the taxi's in Antigua the small minibus type or just a regular car? There are 10 of us travelling as a group and to arrange a small minibus to accomodate all of us would be best.

Any recommendations for tours or reliable taxi companies would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Jodi & Cindy,

Thanks for info on exact times. We'll have done a full day in St. Lucia & really don't want another full day.....time & money. More off the ship, less freebies to enjoy. I'd like a really healthy reef to snorkel at in the a.m. My hus. has been disappointed at the condition of many reefs we've been to. Am also traveling with 13 & 15 yr. olds. The shallower the better & calm waters if possible, but of course if the corals are in great shape & lots of fish.......we'll try it.

Cindy, if you find something let me know.

Carol:D

Eli's tours sound fantastic.

I'm still trying to decide between the Xtreme and the Eco but I am leaning towards the Eco. I definitely enjoy learning a little (or a lot) about the areas I am visiting and gather that the Eco offers a little more variety with the hiking and climbing options.

Jodi & Cindy,

Thanks for info on exact times. We'll have done a full day in St. Lucia & really don't want another full day.....time & money. More off the ship, less freebies to enjoy. I'd like a really healthy reef to snorkel at in the a.m. My hus. has been disappointed at the condition of many reefs we've been to. Am also traveling with 13 & 15 yr. olds. The shallower the better & calm waters if possible, but of course if the corals are in great shape & lots of fish.......we'll try it.

Cindy, if you find something let me know.

Carol:D

We've been on the Eco Tour with young-to-middle age teens - they loved it. And especially liked the Hells Gate part of the excursion! I'd recommend you e-mail Eli and ask him about the condition of the corals and the fishes they've been seeing lately. We generally find the snorkeling pretty good in Antigua. We're avid snorkelers (a highlight this year was snorkeling Bonaire), with all of our own gear - we carry about 16 lbs of snorkeling gear, including wet suits! Coral reefs world-wide have taken hits due to environmental, ecological and meteorological issues, and you should have a realistic expectation of what you will be seeing (of course, no one can guarantee what the waves will be like, or what fish will be there the day you are there).

Friscorays, I'd agree with your assessment that you'll learn more about the island on the EcoTour and that there's more activity time, less boat time, since they stay in the North Sound area.

Archived