Day Bag Question

mystic5091

My husband and I are taking our first european cruise and are trying to figure out what size bag we would need for walking around europe. we have no idea what we would need to carry. We will be taking the Celebrity Summit leaving May 10 with stops in spain, italy, greece, croatia. Thanks for the help!

I would advise not to take too large of a bag, or YOU will end up the "pack mule" for the both of you! I can't figure out anything "extra" you'd need to carry, aside from what you'd carry if you went to town at home! A camera....wallet...personal things you carry in your purse...

One of us always carries a small(ish) backpack. That way if it gets heavy on one shoulder or the other, you can put it on your back. Only thing I have read about a backpack is that you SHOULD NOT put your money or passport there. I someone grabs it away from you, you could be left in a foreign country with no money and no identity.

I usually carry a small tote bag over my shoulder, but I am leery of doing that in Rome at the end of my next cruise. I am looking for a mid size cross body bag. I am also looking for a travel vest with several pockets. It will not be really hot in early April, so I think it will be helpful. EM

I use the day pack recommended by Rick Steves and available on his Web site. It's soft, small and can be worn in front if you're worried about someone grabbing it off of your back. I've had it for about 4 years and, even though they don't recommend it, have washed it several times in the washing machine. It still looks like new. Works for carrying light jackets/sweaters, small camera with case, etc. Still keep credit cards/cash in money belt (waist or neck) under clothes and never had a problem.

I have travelled all over Europe weeks at a time.

Some by cruise, but mostly land

I've tried Rick Steves, LLBean, but my absolute favorite is a Black Le Sport Sac

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7507_5202.html

there is also a smaller one too..that I've used which would probably work well as you are on a cruise, but for extensive

land travel i prefer the other.

Also, I've been into TONS of museums and this size purse has never been a probably for entering.

I WEAR a money belt, but carry a smaller amount of currency in the purse

my passport is on my body in the money belt at all times.

when traveling by cruise...

in my pack

I have a 3 day amount of prescriptions in a labeled prescription bottle, small 1st aid supply of bandaids, neosporin

and imodium. A snack bar. city map and info for sightseeing, currency converter page I've created and language translation page

We spent several weeks in Croatia and if you would like to watch videos and see our travel albums you can view them

on our personal travel journal.

Just go into the link below

and then into Where we've been and Photos.

In the bonus album of photos I have photos of Croatian crafts to give you an idea on souvenirs.

Also...have you learned what a la cravate means?

Regarding Greece we will be there in April, if you go into Our 2009 Adventure

I have videos and an pretty extensive list of websites we have been using for research which I'm sure you will find helpful

If you have any questions ..just send me an email!

Here's the link to our personal travel journal

http://ourpassportstamps.com/

Buon Viaggio!

Archived