Anyone ELSE not make it to Fanning Island?

tiggersgrl

I would love to take my last breath on a cruise. I can only hope this was the last wish for the passenger who "left" the cruise in Hilo.

Missing a port is not a big deal when you look at it in this scenario.

Relax...have fun...and do not sweat the small stuff. Ports do not matter that much. Enjoy your vacation. You may never have another one!!

We just completed an 11 day cruise on the Wind 11/13 - 11/24 and also had only three main engines. We also paid a lot of money for our cruise, but you will not here me complain one bit about those 11 days. We did spend 5 days at sea after spending 8 hours on Fanning Island. We only missed one port of call on Maui. No big deal. If I recall, when I booked my cruise, I was told at that point that the itinerary could be changed at any time. We understood that at accepted it. We were not to concerned about the fact that we knew that the Wind only had three engines before we went. There are too many of you folks that are more interested in finding things wrong on a cruise instead of talking about all the great times. The Food, the Drinks, the new Friends that you met, the shore excursions in ports that most of us are happy to be seeing fro the first time and possibly the last time.

It sounds to me that some of you would find something wrong with the QE2 if you were handed a free sialing on it.

GET OVER IT AND ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE BECAUSE SOME DON'T EVEN HAVE THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE TO ENJOY.

We just completed an 11 day cruise on the Wind 11/13 - 11/24 and also had only three main engines. We also paid a lot of money for our cruise, but you will not here me complain one bit about those 11 days. We did spend 5 days at sea after spending 8 hours on Fanning Island. We only missed one port of call on Maui. No big deal. If I recall, when I booked my cruise, I was told at that point that the itinerary could be changed at any time. We understood that at accepted it. We were not to concerned about the fact that we knew that the Wind only had three engines before we went. There are too many of you folks that are more interested in finding things wrong on a cruise instead of talking about all the great times. The Food, the Drinks, the new Friends that you met, the shore excursions in ports that most of us are happy to be seeing fro the first time and possibly the last time.

It sounds to me that some of you would find something wrong with the QE2 if you were handed a free sialing on it.

GET OVER IT AND ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE BECAUSE SOME DON'T EVEN HAVE THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE TO ENJOY.

OMG....do I ever agree with you.:D

God am I looking forward to just being away for 11 days and pampered. We are losing "Tortola" on our cruise...disappointed for about 1 hour, then I got over it. I feel so fortunate to be able to do this and sometimes guilty that some of our family members may never be able to do this...how could I ever let it spoil my special time cruising at sea with my hubby who has worked extremely hard this year and deserves to have a relaxing time without me fretting over the small stuff.

If someone booked their cruise for the ports then I can understand why you would be upset....in light of that, I would just cancel and rebook. Or book a land vacation. Simple as that! :rolleyes:

Am going on NCL Wind in December. Have been reading how not just a few but alot of the sailings never make it to Fanning Island. I can understand medical emergencies, however, I have been reading how numerous times they have engine troubles.

Now.... if the Wind has known engine problems........why dont they fix the problem or make alternate arrangements instead of disappointing passengers.

Most recently the ship did make it to Fanning Island but just to get their documents signed so they wouldnt..............GET FINED!!!!! Then NCL had the gall to tell 1700 pax that the one tender visit to Fanning was for humanitarian reasons. NCL lied. At least they could have done the decent thing and tell the truth. Then on yet another wind cruise that missed Fanning they put letters under cabin doors saying Fanning was cancelled due to "unforeseen engine problems" UNFORESEEN!!??!!?? I think NOT. So, NCL lied again.

It makes me wonder if there were really medical emergencies on the other trips that missed Fanning or is NCL lying yet again.

Of all the ports of call, I am looking forward to Fanning the most. I would hope NCL would cancel the sailing or make alternate plans if they knew they would have "unforeseen" engine problems. Then, at least I could make alternate arrangements. I hope the Wind gets its act together and makes it to Fanning on my sailing. If not, I will live. BUT, I hope they do the decent thing and tell me the truth as to why they missed Fanning. It should sound something like this..............yes, we knew about our engine problems....Yes, we doubted we would make it to Fanning and .....Yes, we knew we would have unhappy pax but.........we are too cheap to fix the engines or make alternate plans. Better to get the peoples money and put some short small legal print in the brochure.

Now.... if the Wind has known engine problems........why dont they fix the problem or make alternate arrangements instead of disappointing passengers.
You're right. NCL should cancel your cruise and thousands of other people's cruises and put the ship into dry dock right away even if they dont have the parts to fix the ship. That way you can lose the money you piad for airfare, have to reschedule your whole vacation and feel better about not having gone on the cruise. I agree with you. This is the perfect solution.

And please don't accuse NCL of lying unless you know it for a fact. You may believe that you've been mislead but until you know for certain, it's inflammatory to accuse them.

I put this message on a few days ago. I will do so again as it seems some people my have missed it.

I don`t think we can ask NCL to do any more. We ARE going to enjoy our cruise on the Wind 5th Jan 2005.

Having been very concerned regarding the engine problems the Wind has had over the last few cruises, a week ago I got in touch with NCL in London with my concerns regarding the cruise we are on 1/5/05, especially after we have rebooked after not getting to Fanning Island 2 years ago.

They were quite helpful and e-mailed Miami for up to date information. They admitted to me that there had been major problems keeping to the itinerary over the last few cruises, due to engine problems. They rang me on Thursday and confirmed that engineers had been on board and had fixed the problem. They e-mailed me confirmation, which you will find below.

"I am pleased to advise that we have had confirmation from the ship to say that the Norwegian Wind's engine has indeed been fixed and that she is running to her full potential. At this stage we do not foresee any problems affecting any of her future sailings."

Hopefully, this will be the end of any problems with this ship.

Laurence

Alan, that's exactly what happened to us. Was that on the Wind in October of 1999? Maybe we were on the same ship! Small world. I hope that person recovered. Sometimes we forget to count our blessings, don't we?

As for me, as long as I'm on a ship, I'm happy. We could have 10 sea days as far as I'm concerned.

Cruised many times and have missed many ports. It's the nature of the biz.

During hurricane Mitch, we didn't make ANY of the scheduled ports, but we did end up in Key West for Fantasy Fest. Now that was an adventure and one we would probably never have experienced.

Maybe we'll make it to Fanning Island someday, but until then, happy sails to you and yours.

(Actually, I'm glad a passport was required. I probably still wouldn't have one with my procrastinating, and I sure love having it.)

[quote name='Host Cecilia']You're right. NCL should cancel your cruise and thousands of other people's cruises and put the ship into dry dock right away even if they dont have the parts to fix the ship. That way you can lose the money you piad for airfare, have to reschedule your whole vacation and feel better about not having gone on the cruise. I agree with you. This is the perfect solution.

And please don't accuse NCL of lying unless you know it for a fact. You may believe that you've been mislead but until you know for certain, it's inflammatory to accuse them.[/QUOTE]

You're right. Maybe NCL isnt lying. Maybe they are just too stupid to realize they have been having engine trouble since April 2003. And since they dont remember from one cruise to the next that they have engine trouble then they are not lying and stealing money from pax for a port they often dont make. I agree with you......... they could just be very stupid.

"I am pleased to advise that we have had confirmation from the ship to say that the Norwegian Wind's engine has indeed been fixed and that she is running to her full potential. At this stage we do not foresee any problems affecting any of her future sailings."

Laurence,
I hope this is the case. But do you really think they are going to say that the engines really arent fixed. I dont think so.
I would like to know when they sent this to you because as of the last sailing they were obviously still having problems. I truly hope your sailing makes it to Fanning. Good Luck! :-)

Archived