Kids On Princess

idjaffe

We are very experienced cruisers, but have never been on Princess.

We are looking at the Ruby for XMASS...but are a little concerned about the age of the cruisers, and children's activities.

Our kids ( 8 yr old twins) LOVE the camps, and the pools....tell us about the kids clubs on princess.

Thanks,

IDJ

We were on the Crown Princess the week before Thanksgiving in 2006. Our son was 8 and absolutely loved kids club. It was his 3rd cruise and there were only 100 kids on board that week. The kids got lots of personal attention and didn't want to leave. Our son loves being able to play video games and there was plenty of time for that. We traveled with friends that had a 9 yr old daughter at the time and she lived at kids club. I remember her baking a cake in the kitchen and we were served it one night for dessert. She was not shy with the frosting and toppings and was extremely proud of what she made for us and the fun she had in the kitchen making it. I think they will enjoy Princess kids club, but there could be more kids than we experienced on our trip. We did the NCL Star in March 2008 during spring break and it was a totally different story. 1000 kids and the age group for him was moved to a conference room on a upper deck with legos and other "toys". Needless to say he did not go to kids club at all.

That's the thing about princess, they monitor the number of children onboard for a particular sailing and have been known to "close " the sailing for a certain age group due to not wanting to overburden the kid's club for that age group, you are welcome to call their 1800 number any time to find out the no of children onboard at that moment for your child's age group. They may not discount children based on age per se, (only if they are the 3rd or 4th in the stateroom) but the kid's club is not overburdened.

We were on a holiday cruise three years ago on the Island Princess and there were 250 kids onboard.

There are plenty of activities for the kids: arts and crafts, science oriented activities through a partnership with the California Science Center (one favorite is squid dissection), plus holiday oriented things to do. If Christmas falls during your cruise, there will be a party with gifts.

On all cruises, there is at least one private dinner for the kids in the buffet. Half of the Horizon Court is closed for a "private party." Afterwards, the counselors take the kids back to the fun zone.

You will find a packet of info about the kids' program when you first get to your cabin, along with a day-by-day breakdown of what's happening, as well as the info on the mandatory registration meeting. Your kids should come along for that to meet the other kids.

There are also many things for the kids to do outside of the kids' program if they want to (dance lessons, arts and crafts, etc.). They won't be able to participate in the wine tastings.:D

Does anyone know if Princess still offers Kids Club only in three hour increments on sea days: 9-12, 2-5, 7-10? I know NCL just starting doing all day 9am-10pm clubs. I don't plan on keeping my kids there all day, but I have had to miss more than one activity because of the 2 hour downtimes (like the wine tasting that started at 1pm :( ).

Here are some sample Princess Kids Patters that were posted by Cruisinmama06: http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Princess%20Patters/

Our kids went on their first cruise on the Caribbean Princess when they were 4 and 8. They have now been on four Princess cruises and have loved them. I would think a Christmas cruise would have large numbers of kids and plenty of activities for them, especially for 8 year olds.:) Also, the pools are freshwater, which my kids prefer.

--Junglejane

Our boys will be 7 & 9 years old at the time of the cruise. I am worried about them being in different groups. Are the goups in the same room on the Star? Do they interact? Will the staff allow my 7 year old in the older group if he proves himself mature and there is room?

Thanks

Our boys will be 7 & 9 years old at the time of the cruise. I am worried about them being in different groups. Are the goups in the same room on the Star? Do they interact? Will the staff allow my 7 year old in the older group if he proves himself mature and there is room?

Thanks

Princess is pretty strict about the age groups and it has been our experience that they won't allow kids to move up to an older group, but they will allow an older child to move down to a younger group. Generally the Princess Pelicans are 3-7 and Shockwaves are 8-12. Sometimes if there are a lot of kids, they will add a 7-9 breakout group in the middle, but we have only been on one cruise at Christmas where there were enough kids (over 700) onboard for that.

Thanks

The counselors probably are told all the time by parents that their kid is very mature for his age. So they can't always start moving around kids because of a parent's say so because often it's not true. Plus, the number of counselors per group has already been determined before the cruise. Plus, is it fair to the other kids in the older group to have someone's younger sibling there?

Archived