Reef and Rays Review

sjram

We did the Reef and Rays Excursion while at Grand Turk a few weeks ago. We chose the 10:30 tour hoping the water would be a little warmer and we had time to have breakfast without rushing. We found the Reef and Ray sign fairly easy once we reached the cruise center. The crew got us on the boat quickly and we were off! They stopped to give us a safety speech. All of the crew was very nice. The took us out to Round Cay to snorkel at the reef there. We basically stopped in the middle of the ocean (in my opinion) and they said go ahead and get out! I was a little scared until my dh jumped in and said it wasn't that deep. We had about 45 minutes to snorkel. Saw lots of fish and plant life, including Jack the barracuda! The crew was in the water to help people and answer questions. They also have someone video taping the whole thing ($30 I think). I thought the 45 minutes was perfect. I had actually just told my dh I was going back to the boat because I was getting cold when they blew the horn.

From there we went to a beach to see the sting rays. This beach was one of the prettiest I saw on the trip. There are about 12 sting rays that live here. It was amazing the way they swim all around you! We even got to feed them. After this we were back on the boat heading to the port.

We still had a little over an hour to hang out on the beach. We were only at GT until 2:00. We walked down to Jack's Shack and had some Rum Punch. I really enjoyed this trip. I felt the crew was very friendly and professional. It felt very safe which is something I worry about. I would have been disappointed had we only snorkeled or seen sting rays. It was a perfect combination to do/see both.

Would this excursion be appropriate for a 7 year-old and an 8-year old or would the snorkeling protion be too hard?

Thanks,

Eric813

Planned Future Cruises

Carnival Pride (CCL) - June 6-13, 2009

Pride of America (NCL) - November 7-14, 2009

Past Cruises

Norway (NCL) - December 1980

Festival (CCL) - December 18-25, 1982

Rhapsody (Paquet) - December 1983

Britanis (Chandris) - December 1985

Inspiration (CCL) - July 14-21, 1996

Imagination (CCL) - June 12-17, 2000

Explorer of the Seas (RCI) - November 6-13, 2005

Jewel (NCL) - July 2-9, 2006

Holiday (CCL) - March 3-8, 2007

We did this tour, and brought along 6/7 year old niece and nephew. They had no problem snorkeling - they also had noodles for them to float with. (which some adults made use of also) This was their first real snorkeling experience, and it was great for them. They loved the rays, and the beach you go to for the rays is filled with conch shells - they loved hunting for them, and making piles all over.

Thank you very much for this review! I was planning on signing up for this tour, but was a bit unsure before your review. Have you snorkeled in any other ports? And if so, how does it compare? So far, Grand Caymen was the best for us. We did the Reef, Rays and Rum Point tour that was the best tour we've ever taken. How long do you have on the island? When you're done with the Stingrays, do you have time to explore the island?

Thanks again,

Laurie

I would have been disappointed had we only snorkeled or seen sting rays. It was a perfect combination to do/see both.

I have to chime in here. We participated in the Sting Ray Adventure on Grand Turk. It was amazing. My only complaint was that I wanted more. I agree with sjram, the two excursions would have been perfect.

We have done snorkeling excursions in Nassau, St. Martin, St. Kitts, DR, St. Thomas, etc. Snorkeling was good. Hard to say how it compares, as sea conditions, time of day,where you snorkel, etc., all have a part in that. We also enjoy "combo" snorkeling excursions - paired with stingrays, beach, etc. We take the earliest excursion, so we are not rushed to get back to the ship. Gives us time to explore. We were on Grand Turk from 10-4. Excursion ran 10-2. We were so tired, we went directly back to ship.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, been real busy. I would definetly take my kids on this trip. They were not with us but there were other kids on the boat and did just fine. Like another poster said, they give you life jackets. They teach you how to inflate them if you want or you just where it for safety. They also had noodles to put in your jacket to help you stay afloat. A man in his 50's kind of panicked when he first got in the water and they were so fast to help him and so patient. He was still at the ladder so they helped him back on the boat. I saw them with him the rest of the trip with a life ring thing floating around. (After he was so embarassed he kept telling everyone he was a strong swimmer!)

I can't say how it compares to snorkeling at other ports. We have only snorkeled in Hawaii and Mexico. This was my first time on the East Coast being from California, but I had no complaints!

THe GT day is the shortest of all port days. The ship left at 2. We still felt like it was a full day being there.

Archived