Some questions about Pacific Dawn

jd1

I know these would have been asked before but I couldn't really find much with the search. We leave on the PD on 28 Jan and I just had a few last minute questions...

Do you really need a dinner jacket and tie/suit for the formal night? Or can you get away with a nice shirt, pants and shoes with a tie?

We're arriving in Sydney at 8:30am and the tickets say that we can embark from 12:30. Is it possible to give them your bags earlier than that and then come back to embark a bit later? Also, has anyone had any problems with taking a carton of coke or similar on board?

Thanks in advance.

Hi JD1

1) A shirt and tie and nice pants will be fine for formal night.

2)We were on the ship and in our cabins by 11.30am

3)You can drop your cases off then nip across the road to coles at Wynard Station to buy your coke or any other soft drinks you want, there is no problem taking them on board and very handy in the cabin.

HAve a great cruise i am very jealous.

Marg

Thanks for the reply. Is it easy enough to carry the drink on or should I check it in with my luggage?

That's up to you. If you carry it you have to take it a total of (estimated) 200 m at least. That's a rough guess, but you have to take it through waiting lines in the Immigration hall, then onto the ship, then to your cabin. Do you have a light-weight luggage trolley or a spare wheeled hand-luggage size bag? :):)

Evon.

Lol thanks I guess I'll check it in with my luggage. So can I check my luggage in before 12:30 and then come back to the ship for embarkation or do you have to do it all at the same time.

Lol thanks I guess I'll check it in with my luggage. So can I check my luggage in before 12:30 and then come back to the ship for embarkation or do you have to do it all at the same time.

You can check you luggage in from 8.30am (or thereabouts). Embarkation usually starts earlier than they specify, but you can certainly go away and come back later. :):)

Evon.

You can check you luggage in from 8.30am (or thereabouts). Embarkation usually starts earlier than they specify, but you can certainly go away and come back later. :):)

Evon.

Great that's what I wanted to hear we didn't really want to sit around for 3 hours with our luggage. Thanks for the help.:)

Great that's what I wanted to hear we didn't really want to sit around for 3 hours with our luggage. Thanks for the help.:)

Just organise yourself so that you are fully installed in your cabin before they finish serving lunch at the buffet.

It gives you a taste of what is to come. :D:)

Just organise yourself so that you are fully installed in your cabin before they finish serving lunch at the buffet.

It gives you a taste of what is to come. :D:)

LOL that has always been my plan.

Also, another question: does anyone have any tips of where to be when the ship leaves Sydney?

Hi jd1,

I would not put my cans in as luggage. I would be carrying them on myself.:confused:

The bags are handled roughly and I have heard where cans have burst open and made a real mess. Why not try to find a large shopping type bag with wheels if you think they may be too heavy, otherwise I would just carry them on in one of those cheap 'stripy' bags and then you will have an extra bag to put all those goodies you will bring home (including your cheap alcohol):eek:

I also have heard of cans going 'pop' in the luggage and yes that would make a mess and i've also seen how they handle your luggage so i try not to put any breakables in my cases.

I personally think the best place to be at sail away is on the viewing deck at the front of the ship (go to deck 10-baja deck on the port-right side and walk all the way to the front of the ship and you will find it) the only problem is you can't buy drinks there so take one with you or do drink at sail away.

It amazing how many people never know about the viewing deck or don't find out about it until the end of the cruise.

mic

I also have heard of cans going 'pop' in the luggage and yes that would make a mess and i've also seen how they handle your luggage so i try not to put any breakables in my cases.

I personally think the best place to be at sail away is on the viewing deck at the front of the ship (go to deck 10-baja deck on the port-right side and walk all the way to the front of the ship and you will find it) the only problem is you can't buy drinks there so take one with you or don't drink at sail away.

It amazing how many people never know about the viewing deck or don't find out about it until the end of the cruise.

mic

I have seen people carry on a carton of softdrink in one of the green grocery bags, 24 pack I think fits pretty good. I've also seen people with those 'gma shopping trolleys' full of softdrink. Clever! Our favourite spot for sailaway is at the back. We have tried all different spots but the back is our favourite looking back at the bridge and opera house etc. I love looking at the wake of the ship anyway and we try to get a seat as well. You can't sit at the front, it's all standing.

LOL that has always been my plan.

Also, another question: does anyone have any tips of where to be when the ship leaves Sydney?

The viewing deck on Baja deck is nice for the view, but it doesn't have the atmoshere of being on the main decks. We stood on the deck above the pool, on the side facing the wharf, (sorry, don't know the correct terms). From here we had fantastic views of the harbour, going under the bridge, etc. Also the atmoshere was fantastic, hundreds and hundreds of excited people, also the band playing, and easy access to drinks.

If it were my choice this is where I would go for sailaway, but for sailing INTO the islands, definately go to the front on Baja deck.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Kristina

Archived