Hilo - what was your experience?

rbakker

rbakker,

First of all, you live in a beautiful place. Out of all the cities in Hawaii, I love Hilo the best. I have been to the Big Island twice once in 1990 for a land vacation. During that time we saw VNP, the Hawaiian Botical Gardens. and Akaka Falls, and drove down to the south to see the lava flow. We had a great time. I hated the Kona side of the island, I felt like I was in the desert.

In Oct 06, I took my mother on a Hawaiian cruise. I was so looking forward to our day in Hilo. I knew that she wanted to see the volcano in action, but she couldn't see it on land due to her heart condition. So I scheduled a heli tour over the volcano. From there we drove to VNP for lunch a walk through the Thurston Lava Tube and a short drive around the park. We would have loved to spend a few more hours in the park, but we had to make it back to the ship. The worst part of going to Hilo, is having to leave.

Hawaii and lived there in the 60's. Only went to Hilo once then to see the volcano. There were 14 of us this year and my DH and I sent the kids on tours--and a few on the helicopter over the volcano. My husband and I like to get off and just walk around little towns. I must say that we were under impressed with your little town. We took a taxi and the driver was really, really nice. Price was not much..in fact we called him when we were finished to come get us and bring us back to the ship. We were dismayed at the amount of street people sleeping in the doorways and talking to people who were not there. Almost nothing was open. We went to one dress store, a prominent artist/designer, and then we immediately went back to the ship. We felt the place was depressed and frankly not welcoming and "cute". People were nice though--the ones who were not talking to people who were not "there". No cute restaurants, nothing. Some people like this and just don't like to tour. That's us. We travel a lot and tour a lot. You need something "cute" where people can go.

I think the people go to Walmart because the transportation is free.

On the other hand, Kona had a cute town--ice cream, cute stores, benches, stuff like that and we really enjoyed that even though it was raining. Coming from Hawaii, we understand there is rain and then it goes away abruptly--so a little water won't hurt you! LOL

Greetings! As a resident of Hilo, I was wondering how cruise ship visitors experience our town.

Please let me know what you think, and maybe you could also answer some question I have.

1) About what percentage of people prefer to just stay on the boat when it's in Hilo, or does just about everyone get off?

2) Is it easy to make your way around? Is it easy to get a taxi into town and what does that cost (I've never taken a taxi here).

3) Why do we see so many cruise ship passengers at Walmart? Is it a popular bus pick-up point, or do people ask to be taken there?

thank you

we were on your beautiful island in March of 08 - we rented a car and drove to VNP did the rim tour and the lava tube , also drive thru what used to be neighborhoods, we then drove to a black sand beach where we stayed for a while - for a girl form Wisconsin it was astounding to see black sand and there were sea turtles up on the beach - overall it was a great day and overall a fantastic vacation :)

We were in Hilo this past May and loved it. We rented a car and first went to Akaka Falls. Beautiful place. Then we went to the Big Island Candy company. They have the best cookies. From there we drove to the Macadamia Nut Company and bought more cookies. Next we went to VNP. Ate lunch in the town of Volcano, then went inside the Park. We were there about an hour. Then we left the VNP and went back the way we came on Hwy 11 and turned off on Highway130. Hwy 130 took us to a lava viewing area outside Volcano National Park. It is about a 45 minute drive from the Park. Not many people and what a view. About Wal-Mart. We would never waste our time going to Walmart while on a cruise. We can do that at home. I assume people go there because of the free shuttle and they are too cheap to spend money on a rental car or an excursion. If people only knew how inexpensive rental cars are in Hawaii, they would never go on another ship excursion. Can't wait to return to Hilo this summer.

For the information on the Gardens.

We did the ones in Monte at

Maderia, Portugal. They were

steep coming back up to.

We made it...now to see how

"steep is steep" for Hilo. Nice to

know there are carts there to use

if needed.

Thanks again.

We would like to rent a car in Hilo to go to the VNP. See some of the countryside if possible. Will they pick us up at the pier and take us to the rental place. Can we see some of the Island in about 5 or 6 hours. Our ship arrives at 8AM and leaves at 6PM. Have to be back on the ship around 5PM. Like to give ourselves plenty of time. Thank you

Delores

Yes, there are shuttles at the port to take you to the car rentals at the airport - just about a 10 minute ride or so. We have found time to visit VNP, the Mac Nut Factory, Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls and more on our one day in port. Always best to reserve your car ahead of time. If you decide not to use it, you can always cancel. We used Thrifty. Aloha!

We have never used GPS, but we ordered drive maps of all the islands ahead of time. Try google for Hawaii Drive Maps if you want to order. There is a separate "magazine" for each island. Last year they were $4 each including postage. Love looking through them as they have lots of good information and coupons in addition to the maps. It's great to have a route mapped out ahead of time. Aloha!

There is no need for GPS in Hilo. We just do not have that many roads!!Once you have picked up your rental car at the airport, make a left out of the airport. Then drive straight for about 40 minutes and make a left at the sign for the entrance to VNP. Just inside the park, stop at the Visitor's Center and they will provide you will all kinds of info and maps to guide you around the park.

The Macadamia Nut Factory is on the road to VNP....and is an easy stop on the way back down from the park. Have fun!

I found that w/o a car on the Hilo side, there isn't much at all to do. We rented a car and went to the Mac Nut factory and the chocolate factory which was nice and drove around a bit. Other than that I didn't see anything else to do there- beaches are too volcanic to swim/snorkel, which we were ok with - still beautiful!

Any other ideas?

Thank you everybody for all your replies!

Thank you for all the compliments but I can't take any credit, I haven't lived there very long.

I'm glad to hear most people get off the ship. I agree renting a car is the best way to see everything Hilo and environs have to offer.

I always figured that people like to go to Walmart for the souvenirs - I'm sure they're cheaper than at Hilo Hatties. By the way, the Walmart is not in town, but on the road heading out of town.

I think central Hilo is cute enough, I wonder where exactly you were? Along the waterfront? It's not Kona, but it sure is different.

I would like to warn about the Ahalanui Park hot ponds, I hear there have been a lot of thefts there lately, specifically people stealing car keys from clothes left by swimmers, and taking their cars. So be careful! Hawaii is a paradise, but criminals can be found everywhere. Never leave valuables in your car, or if you do then hide them in the trunk.

Happy sailing!

rbakker

Greetings! As a resident of Hilo, I was wondering how cruise ship visitors experience our town.

Please let me know what you think, and maybe you could also answer some question I have.

1) About what percentage of people prefer to just stay on the boat when it's in Hilo, or does just about everyone get off?

2) Is it easy to make your way around? Is it easy to get a taxi into town and what does that cost (I've never taken a taxi here).

3) Why do we see so many cruise ship passengers at Walmart? Is it a popular bus pick-up point, or do people ask to be taken there?

thank you

rbakker - Our experience at Hilo was not your usual for the PoA cruiser. My DW and I had plans very similar to your weekly visitors, off to VNP and a visit to the Macadamia Nut Factory. Hilo was to be just a starting and ending spot for our day's excurision. Our memories of Hilo would be what we saw coming and going from port.

However, that was not how our day went, instead we got to spend and see much more than we ever imagined in Hilo. It all started when my wife developed chest pain early morning as we approached Hilo port. After a phone call to the front desk and a discussion with the ships nurse, we went to the ships infirmary. The nurse and doctor took very good care of my wife treating her pains as a possible heart attact (thank you PoA for having such excellent care givers). An amblance meet us at port and we started our unplanned Hilo Medical Center Excurision. The highlight of the excurision was finding out that my wife was going to be OK, however, she did experience a mild heart attack and our cruise was over. The Doctors, nurses, and all other staff at the Hilo Hospital also did a great job taking care of my wife - mahalo, thank you for all you did for us. My DW spent two nights in the hospial before being released to go home. Because of sorness as a result of an angeogram, we stayed in Hilo two more nigths before returning to Honolulu and catching our orginally planned flight home.

During those two days recovering and waiting to return home, we stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel with a room and balcony facing Hilo bay. Very beautiful view were my wife could rest on the bed and look out at the bay and listen to the water and birds. Very nice. Although we had to limit my wifes activities, we spent some time seeing Hilo. Breakfast at Kens International Pancake House (excellent food) and supper at Cronies Sport Bar and Grill (also great food and local beer). The area around the hotel (coconut island ??) was beautiful. We also visited downtown area for a little shopping. A short drive got us to Onekahakaha beach and Richardsons to watch the suring.

Dispite our unpleasant start to our stay in Hilo, we discovered that Hilo is a great place to visit. Hope to revisit some day.

DT

thank you

1. The first time we went to Hilo on a cruise, we decided to stay on the boat. Then we decided to get a cab into town to go to the ATM and have a coffee. The cabs were lined up outside the port building. We were fortunate enough to get JD as a cab-driver. He asked if we wanted to go on a tour and he was fantastic! He showed us the town from a resident's view and told us about both tsunamis. The second time, we rented a car and went to VNP.

2. We had no problem getting a cab or a shuttle to the rental car place.

3. No idea about Walmart.

Viv

Dakota Traveler....I am so sorry to hear about your wife's health problems and the unanticipated end to your cruise. I am glad that she could enjoy the view of our beautiful bay while recovering. Many people get here and never stop to take in that view! Hope you get to come back here soon and enjoy another cruise.

• 1 year later...
Dakota Traveler....I am so sorry to hear about your wife's health problems and the unanticipated end to your cruise. I am glad that she could enjoy the view of our beautiful bay while recovering. Many people get here and never stop to take in that view! Hope you get to come back here soon and enjoy another cruise.

kapoho2 - How time go by - here we are nearly two years later and the thread appears. Just wanted to let you know that my wife and I did return one year later and finish our cruise. This time we did manage to get VNP and do what we failed to do the first time. We enjoyed our day and managed to avoid the medical center, however I think our visit to Rainbow Falls took us close.

DT

Archived