Tell Me About Radiance OTS - Mexican Riviera

bqkali

I am thinking about booking the 9-night cruise on the Radiance from San Diego to Cabo, Mazatlan, PV, Manzanillo, and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo on Jan. 2, 2010. I've never sailed on RCCL and would love any insight you could share about the Radiance or RCCL in general.

Some background - my sister and I took our first cruise (Norwegian Spirit) last month and have decided to make our girls' cruise an annual event. We were originally looking for another Caribbean cruise, but none of the itineraries out of FL really stand out to us, so we started looking at the west coast departures instead in order to avoid flying to San Juan. Due to my sister's college schedule, we are only able to travel 12/26-1/16. Though we loved NCL, the 9-night Radiance cruise offers us 2 extra days with 2 extra ports (plus would give us the opportunity to see some of San Diego)...makes it seem like an easy decision!!

Some questions:

• Am I missing out by not taking a 10 or 11-night cruise that includes Acapulco? (I'd love to see the cliff divers) Should I cruise somewhere else this coming January and save Mexico for a year when we can take the longer itinerary or enjoy the 9-night and just save Acapulco for a future trip?
  • Is the Radiance too big? The Spirit was a smaller ship and I don't want to have to fight through a crowd in order to participate in activities.
  • Is there a fee for rock climbing? That is one of the draws of this particular ship for us since I am not good at "relaxing" on sea days and prefer to be more active.
  • What are the current prices for Chops and Portofino? We would get an OBC from our TA and would love to try one or both of the restaurants while onboard.
  • How many formal nights are there on a 9-night cruise?
  • What is the solarium like? Are there just lounge chairs or is there a pool? Is there a separate non-covered pool or kids pool?

In addition, any random tips or information would be appreciated!

The Radiance class of ships are my favorite so far.

To answer your specific questions:

• Am I missing out by not taking a 10 or 11-night cruise that includes Acapulco? (I'd love to see the cliff divers) Should I cruise somewhere else this coming January and save Mexico for a year when we can take the longer itinerary or enjoy the 9-night and just save Acapulco for a future trip?

I didn't care for Acapulco this past December, so IMHO you're not missing much. The cliffdivers only perform once in the afternoon unless you're on a special excursion (our ship had one that left at 8:00 am and you could watch them from the water). So I imagine (didn't go) that the crowds would be enormous. When we walked off the ship we were BOMBARDED by taxi drivers, "tour guides," etc. all wanting to make a few bucks - can't blame them, but it was very off-putting. But other people love it there.

• Is the Radiance too big? The Spirit was a smaller ship and I don't want to have to fight through a crowd in order to participate in activities.

Not at all! Any ship will have bottlenecks or feel crowded somewhere (we just sailed on the 694-passenger Azamara Journey and the buffet could be packed at times), but IMHO the traffic flow on Radiance and her sisters is very good.

• Is there a fee for rock climbing? That is one of the draws of this particular ship for us since I am not good at "relaxing" on sea days and prefer to be more active.

No charge.

• What are the current prices for Chops and Portofino? We would get an OBC from our TA and would love to try one or both of the restaurants while onboard.

$25 for Chops and $20 for Portofino. Well worth it, IMHO.

• How many formal nights are there on a 9-night cruise?

Not sure, but I think 2.

• What is the solarium like? Are there just lounge chairs or is there a pool? Is there a separate non-covered pool or kids pool?

The Solarium on the Radiance class have a pool, hot tub and lots of loungers. No kids under 16 (or is it 18?) allowed except in inclement weather, and then only for limited periods of time. There's a separate kids' area/pool on Deck 12 and a family pool area on Deck 11.

There is no guarantee that you'll find this itinerary again, so I would say go now.:)

A couple things--the adult-only Solarium is covered, so don't plan on tanning in there!

There are 2 formal nights on 9-nighters.

As far as feeling crowded, directly around the main pool and when the shows let out is the only time things seemed crowed, to me! You can sun on upper decks, away from the pool a bit, and few folks will be there!

The Radiance class of ships are my favorite so far.

To answer your specific questions: I didn't care for Acapulco this past December, so IMHO you're not missing much. The cliffdivers only perform once in the afternoon unless you're on a special excursion (our ship had one that left at 8:00 am and you could watch them from the water). So I imagine (didn't go) that the crowds would be enormous. When we walked off the ship we were BOMBARDED by taxi drivers, "tour guides," etc. all wanting to make a few bucks - can't blame them, but it was very off-putting. But other people love it there. Not at all! Any ship will have bottlenecks or feel crowded somewhere (we just sailed on the 694-passenger Azamara Journey and the buffet could be packed at times), but IMHO the traffic flow on Radiance and her sisters is very good. No charge. $25 for Chops and $20 for Portofino. Well worth it, IMHO. Not sure, but I think 2. The Solarium on the Radiance class have a pool, hot tub and lots of loungers. No kids under 16 (or is it 18?) allowed except in inclement weather, and then only for limited periods of time. There's a separate kids' area/pool on Deck 12 and a family pool area on Deck 11.

There is no guarantee that you'll find this itinerary again, so I would say go now.:)

Thank you for your quick reply and on-point responses! You've helped me feel better about skipping Acapulco...I was already feeling okay about it because it seemed silly to not go on a cruise simply because I'd miss a 20 minute show.

We will definitely try at least one of the specialty restaurants since the OBC will cover it - maybe both :)

cb at sea - Thanks for your tips as well!

Archived