New NCL Cruiser

scitchr

We are going on our second cruise soon, our first being on the Diamond Princess to Alaska. This time we will be on the Pearl. Being new to NCL and Freestyle dining, I wanted to know where we can eat (besides the buffet) without an upcharge? Not sure how this works and not crazy about spending more money for each meal. Thanks.

We are going on our second cruise soon, our first being on the Diamond Princess to Alaska. This time we will be on the Pearl. Being new to NCL and Freestyle dining, I wanted to know where we can eat (besides the buffet) without an upcharge? Not sure how this works and not crazy about spending more money for each meal. Thanks.

It works very much like Princess: you have 2 main dining rooms that are included in your cruise fare, of course the buffet, the outdoor grill and in addition there is Blue Lagoon, which is a comfort food eatery..They have great buffalo wings, fish and chips, sandwhiches etc.

Nita

Can you make reservations for the dining rooms or only for the restaurants?

We had reservations for both non-fee dining rooms on several evenings this month on the Jade. It was not a problem. With new acquaintances we had as many as 10 diners and as few as 4. Reservations were accepted regardless of the number. Several evenings we did not make reservations and came down for dinner at what seemed to be the peak eating hour (7:30PM). The longest wait was approximately 5 minutes.

FWIW, I think on the european cruise we were on "peak dining hour" seemed to be around 8 to 8:30-- that is to say, we arrived at the dining room by 7:15 on the nights we didn't do specialty dining and were always seated quickly, however, when we looked at the screens monitoring restaurant capcity between 8-9 we noticed that most restaurants seemed nearly full (we were on the gem).

We just got back from a 7 day on the Star. You can make reservations at all the specialty restaurants for a specific time (i.e. 7:30 or 6:00). You could also make reservations at the main dining rooms (on the Star it was the Aqua Room or The Versailles) but you had to choose a block of time (i.e. the 5:30 seating, or the 8:30 seating, etc.). Also in any restaurant (other than the Blue Lagoon, Market Cafe and The Grill) no shorts or tank tops were allowed at the evening meal. We did see people get turned away for that. We chose to use the main dining rooms for lunch or breakfast (no reservations needed, no dress code then). We ate at a couple specialty restaurants (costs for those on the Star ran from $10 pp to $25 pp). Although a lot of people on CC have complained about the food, I have to say that DH and I never had a bad meal. Same with the service. ;)

Archived