Egypt & visa

bikn4fn

I know that for US passport holders, RCCL will obtain the visas but I am having trouble getting a definite answer for my mother who holds a New Zealand passport (she has lived in the US for over 60 years and has a green card). Although she had been told that she would be fine without a visa, now with only 3 weeks til the cruise, she is being told she needs a visa. Anyone have any experience? Help please....

Here is the most comprehensive site I've found for Visa information. It is also a Visa processing site.

http://www.traveldocs.com/visas.htm

Just click on a country from the drop down menu and it will give you all the pertinent info on that country.

The big question is whether RCCL is providing a "quick visa". As I mentioned, the cruise line took care of everything for our trip to Russia a few years ago. I've heard differing stories. Nobody seems to have a consistent answer.:(

Hopefully someone with experience traveling to Egypt can help you. Did you try posting over on the Ports Of Call board or on your Roll Call?

For the mother from New Zealand, here is another Visa site I found that should be helpful if you can't get an answer from RCCL.

http://www.visahq.com/visas.php

You click on your country of destination and then your country of origin and you get all of your entry requirements.

I have both of the mentioned sites bookmarked for reference so I never have any surprises when I travel.

I hate to say when in doubt get the Visa because they cost money, but I'd hate for you to get to the pier and be denied boarding for not having one.

Our cruise in 06/08 included Egypt, and we did not need to purchase a separate visa. RCI provided the service for US citizens. I don't know the requirements for a citizen of New Zealand.

Enjoy your cruise, and drink LOTS of water. I returned from that cruise dehydrated, even though I thought I was drinking plenty of water. I ended up having to visit my doctor.

Just did a little research for you and from what I found, RCCL provides Visas for all its passengers. They will collect your passport when you embark and get you the Visa and then return them to you. The fee will be charged to your seapass account.

IF, for some reason, this is not done, then Visas are available for purchase on-site at the port. No need to get them ahead of time. Even if you are flying into Egypt, you can purchase a Visa at the airport upon arrival.

I found this info by doing a search on these boards for "Visa required for Egypt".

Just did a little research for you and from what I found, RCCL provides Visas for all its passengers. They will collect your passport when you embark and get you the Visa and then return them to you. The fee will be charged to your seapass account.

IF, for some reason, this is not done, then Visas are available for purchase on-site at the port. No need to get them ahead of time. Even if you are flying into Egypt, you can purchase a Visa at the airport upon arrival.

I found this info by doing a search on these boards for "Visa required for Egypt".

I would like to believe this is true, but what about those passengers who were denied boarding the Mariner when she left Port Canaveral for her 'around the horn' repo? Royal Caribbean took no responsibility in getting those passengers their visas for the South American countries that required them. They were supposed to obtain them ahead of time.

Is this a 100% fail-safe? Meaning, are they always available for purchase upon arrival? Or will we be denied boarding because we didn't get them ahead of time?

I suppose I'm just paranoid after what happened to those poor people on the Mariner...

We are booked on an April cruise to Egypt & Greece. Will we need to obtain a visa to visit Egypt? When we went to Russia a few years ago, RCCL obtained a "blanket" visa for all guests going ashore.

Thanks

im doing this cruise in 3 weeks time.... im going with some polish people, and ive spoken to the egyptian embassy, they said so long as you can get them on the border then RCI will sort it out for you....

http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/visas.html

hope this helps...

Which cruise are you doing in 3 weeks? I am on Brilliance of the Seas with my mother, sister and brother in law 2/16/09. Thanks for your help.

I would like to believe this is true, but what about those passengers who were denied boarding the Mariner when she left Port Canaveral for her 'around the horn' repo? Royal Caribbean took no responsibility in getting those passengers their visas for the South American countries that required them. They were supposed to obtain them ahead of time.

Is this a 100% fail-safe? Meaning, are they always available for purchase upon arrival? Or will we be denied boarding because we didn't get them ahead of time?

I suppose I'm just paranoid after what happened to those poor people on the Mariner...

Go over to the Royal Caribbean roll call section and click on the Brilliance Of The Seas. Then click on a couple of the Egypt roll calls for the March or April Egypt cruises. They talk about the Visa in their roll call and none of them need the Visa. They are being supplied by RCCL.

Upon further reading, I found out that usually customs officials board the ship and then clear it for the day. Your passport can then be stamped upon disembarking. That is another way of doing it. The fee for this is built into your cruise price.

As far as the Brazilian Visa fiasco, RCCL was not responsible for supplying the Brazilian Visas, and they clearly state that passengers are responsible for all necessary travel documents. All it would have taken was a little research to find out that a Visa was necessary. I'm not sure why they supply Visas for some countries and not for others. That would eliminate alot of confusion. Maybe someone can answer that question.

If you're still worried, for peace of mind, you can always get your own Visa.

You might find the following link of interest:

http://cir.us.cibt.com/tourkits/tourkits.aspx

Check the ship and sail dates and the right hand column for Egypt information.

ship & sail dates? right hand column? Where do you find this?:confused:

As far as doing a little research, no two people seem to have the same response. You can get it on board, you can get it at the port, etc, etc. even our TA is having a hard time getting a straight answer from RCCL.

ship & sail dates? right hand column? Where do you find this?:confused:

As far as doing a little research, no two people seem to have the same response. You can get it on board, you can get it at the port, etc, etc. even our TA is having a hard time getting a straight answer from RCCL.

If you click on the link you will see the page reading "Visa Kits" and a welcome to RCI customers. Scroll down the page and you will see a list of ships and sail dates and are given info on visa requirements for various sailings.

This link came from a set of RCI cruise documents.

Most guests are provided with a Quick Trip Visa onboard the vessel which is valid for 72 hours and allows entry to Egypt. This service is available to citizens of the UK, US, Canada, European Economic Community, Scandinavian countries, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. Please note this service is not available to Israeli citizens.

Taken from email received from RCI

When we were on our Legend cruise that went into Eygpt in Nov2007, the ship cleared us (13 Americans and Canadians in our private tour group) and IMO all other passengers at no cost. I don't know if there were any ciiezens of Israelis or non-qualifiying countries on board, I suspect not. You had to hand in your passports which was then stamped with the quick trip entry shown below.

Eygpt01.jpg

I am sailing on the Brilliance in March/April, with a stop at alexandria.

I spoke to my TA today, and RCI will provide a visa for anyone who is booked on one of their excursions. The price for this is worked into the cost of the excursion.

For those doing private excursions you can get a visa in port for around $15, so there is no requirement for any of the passengers to have arranged their own visa before boarding the ship at the start of the cruise.

This information was given to me today by my UK TA after she spoke at length with RCI to clarify the issue, so to the best of my knowledge, this is the current situation.

We just got off a B2B on Brilliance yesterday.

Your passport is collected at check in Barcelona, don't forget to get a receipt. The ship then posted in the cruise compass ( daily activity letter ) when you were to collect your passport in the Pacifica theatre prior to disembarking in Alexandria. Guests were issued with quick trip visa stamps in their passports regardless of whether they were doing an RCI tour, private tour or just walking off the ship into town. We have a stamp in our passport and we stayed on the ship.

We just got off a B2B on Brilliance yesterday.

Your passport is collected at check in Barcelona, don't forget to get a receipt. The ship then posted in the cruise compass ( daily activity letter ) when you were to collect your passport in the Pacifica theatre prior to disembarking in Alexandria. Guests were issued with quick trip visa stamps in their passports regardless of whether they were doing an RCI tour, private tour or just walking off the ship into town. We have a stamp in our passport and we stayed on the ship.

Heather

Was there a charge for the visa on your seapass account or was it free.

For those doing private excursions you can get a visa in port for around $15, so there is no requirement for any of the passengers to have arranged their own visa before boarding the ship at the start of the cruise.

No, you do not need to pay for any visa as verified by the posts above

Heather

Was there a charge for the visa on your seapass account or was it free.

No the 'quick trip' visa is free.

We are booked on an April cruise to Egypt & Greece. Will we need to obtain a visa to visit Egypt? When we went to Russia a few years ago, RCCL obtained a "blanket" visa for all guests going ashore.

Thanks

RCI will issue the Quick Trip Visa to every passenger on the ship. They collect the passports and then return them with the proper stamp. The cost for this is included with the port charges we all pay.

Contrary to what has been posted here, the Quick Trip Visa is for ALL passengers, not just those on RCI excursions. If you are on a private excursion, you are set to go with the Quick Trip Visa.

Archived