Inclement Weather Travel Insurance?

sigsoho

My GF and I are both in our 20s and are in good health, so we are not 100% sold on purchasing travel insurance for medical emergencies. Since she is also a physician, we are more incline to pass on it.

However, we are more nervous about being able to make the boarding. Due to her schedule, we had to fly day of embarkation. Our flight lands at 8AM and the ship sails away at 5PM. Enough time right? Well, we are flying out of the notorious Chicago O'hare airport and we would like a travel insurance to cover in the possible event there is a snow storm that prevents us from making the trip.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

What you can do is go to InsureMyTrip.com and look at the various forms of insurance. You want trip interupption/trip cancellation insurance only and it is possible to purchase that.

Still just remember that even though you are young and in good health, that won't prevent you from being hurt if you are in an accident. I speak from experience.

What you can do is go to InsureMyTrip.com and look at the various forms of insurance. You want trip interupption/trip cancellation insurance only and it is possible to purchase that.

Still just remember that even though you are young and in good health, that won't prevent you from being hurt if you are in an accident. I speak from experience.

As your GF the MD (or DO) should know trauma is trauma and is more previlent in younger, more athletic folks who are more apt to take risks. That being said, I am a flight Paramedic and know that medical evacuation flights can be very expensive. The policy I bought for DW and DS (22y/0) and I has a $5million evac limit. I certainly don't think it would be that high but, like a parachute, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Look at the web site, insurance isn't that expensive approx 2 drinks a day on the ship.

Have you considered the possibility that a family member (who is not traveling with you), could become ill and necessitate your cancelling? Travel insurance covers not just you, the traveler, but also family members, business partners, etc. And although you are both young and healthy, there's no way to predict that something very unforeseen could happen just before you cruise. A friend of ours fell the day before a cruise and broke her hand. Since her activities would be severely limited, she considered cancelling since she had insurance. She opted, in the end, to still go on the cruise. But I'm just pointing out to you that young and healthy doesn't guarantee you won't encounter an insurable issue. And since you are young, the cost of your insurance should be quite reasonable. Go to insuremytrip.com and check travelex travel lite policy. It's very economical, and they have fabulous customer service. If you purchase the insurance and your plans change, they will allow you to credit the policy toward a different trip. BTW, if you purchase within 21 days of initial trip deposit, pre-existing conditions would be covered (may not be an issue for you, but may be for family members not traveling with you).

Have a wonderful cruise! But please get the insurance for the peace of mind.

This comes under the Trip Delay part of the coverage. In nearly all policies that I have looked at, the maximum coverage is $500 rarely $1,000. If the cost of catching up with the ship and the loss of cruise days is more, the coverage will max out at $500. So read the coverages very carefully.

Well, we are flying out of the notorious Chicago O'hare airport and we would like a travel insurance to cover in the possible event there is a snow storm that prevents us from making the trip.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

• Administrators
This comes under the Trip Delay part of the coverage. In nearly all policies that I have looked at, the maximum coverage is $500 rarely $1,000. If the cost of catching up with the ship and the loss of cruise days is more, the coverage will max out at $500. So read the coverages very carefully.

Also read the fine print about what exactly constitutes "delay." Sometimes a 6 hour flight delay isn't enough to trigger the policy -- it all depends on the wording.

To the OP, I remember when I was in my 20's, and thought that because of my age I didn't have to worry about medical issues... until the car wreck during a vacation. If I hadn't been within the US (not on a cruise) the insurance I had at the time would not have covered me. Being a medical professional doesn't make one immune to accidents or injuries, some of which might require evacuation from a cruise ship at sea (which can be free if the US Coast Guard is able to perform it, or can cost literally $50,000+ if it's done privately). I hope you do a bit more reading before deciding either that you don't need insurance -- OR deciding that you'll purchase it only because you think an ordinary delay in your day-of-cruise-flight would be covered (it very well may not be).

Thanks for all of the feedback. I didn't mean to imply that since we were young, that were immune from bad things occuring. As my GF can attest on a daily basis, terrible things happen everyday without any rhyme or reason.

Nevertheless my GF and I check out as physically fit, active, and very healthy adults and in the case of minor ailments, she can diagnose and perscribe whatever is necessary. Of course, having to be evac out is a worst case scenario, but a very real one. We are currently fall in the low-risk category. If we were twice our age with a pre-condition, family history of something bad, smokers, or drinkers, I wouldn't have to think twice about securing travel insurance.

After checking out insuremytrip, we found a strong trip delay policy that included cruises. Since it also included medical, evacs, and even car rental, we decided to pick it up.

Once again, I appreciate the comments and the concern. I like coming to this board and I recommend it to my friends because of all the tips and advice.

Archived