Help regardig Celebrity

sandravb79

All cruise lines have what they call 'resident' sales and you have to live in the particular state they have featured. Why are you taking this so personally? I can assure you it has nothing to do with you living in Ohio. And, Valerie in Captain's Club I'm sure didn't refuse to make any special allowances for you, she most likely was just doing her job and couldn't just pretend that you didn't live in Ohio. Sorry you feel you have to blame Celebrity for not doing more for you just because of where you live. :rolleyes:

Why should they do less for me because of where I live? Same logic. I had never heard of such things. Why would a cruise line care where its passengers come from? I have been a sales manager for 14 years. I don't care where my customers come from, I am thrilled that they chose my product, and my sales rep. I could never imagine offering a special "deal" to doctors who live in a certain state. That would be a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

No, it is not the same logic and it has nothing to do with you. Cruise lines usually end up offering 'resident' rates so that they can fill up a ship that still has vacancies. A lot of times it ends up being the state in which the ship is leaving from so that it is easier for those people to get to the ship. In other words they can hopefully sell leftover staterooms for sale prices to people who live somewhat close by and can get to the ship easily. It's just a way of marketing.

You know, as an international/ European, I don't receive "coupons" or whatever for Caribeean cruises or WDW vacations or whatnot during my vacation, often I can't even book online or ask for a brochure because I don't have a US zip code.

It won't stop me from travelling :)

I don't mind formal nights, as a matter of fact, I like that. As long as I don't have to bring a Scarlet O'Hara-style dress, as long as a cocktail dress would be fine.

I don't mind dressing nice for dinner, however, if I'm on vacation in the Caribbean, I don't want to wear pantyhose.

I also don't want to have to dress up like a sparkling Christmas tree.

However, during my days at sea, I want to be able to relax by the pool and wear my Crocs, same with shore excursions, I want to be able to wear casual clothes and not twin sets or whatever.

I also want to avoid to be surrounded by "aristocracy" (OK, technically you don't have those in the US, but I'm sure you know what I mean).

I'm surrounded by them at home, that's more than enough :)

A lot of times it ends up being the state in which the ship is leaving from so that it is easier for those people to get to the ship. In other words they can hopefully sell leftover staterooms for sale prices to people who live somewhat close by and can get to the ship easily. It's just a way of marketing.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense. It's understandable that you'd target the advertising to a select market; no sense spending on promos in markets further away where there is less likelihood of a sale. However, if you're trying to sell leftover cruises at the last minute then people in another state may be equally attracted by the lower price which they found themselves yet would be not interested at the higher price. If they can organise their plans to meet the schedule why restrict the offer to locals when you're trying to fill up at the last minute? Just because it's the last minute doesn't mean that someone further away would be more willing to pay more than someone nearby, particular when their travel costs will be higher anyway.

Hi Sandra - I know where you're coming from - especially when it comes to those Disney pin codes. I used to spend at least three weeks a year staying in WDW and buy AP's, yet they would send PIN codes to folk in the US who would maybe spend 4 or 5 days there a year. And you know how much the hotel and food costs are, so it really is disgusting.

Before the dollar pound rate changed, I discovered that Princess and Cunard would not allow folk from the UK to book in US dollars as it was cheaper for others. But they had ways around it.

Now, with the exchange rate changing, I've found it cheaper to book most lines through one of Cruise Critic's advertisers. I'm not allowed to give their name on this forum but do message me, if you want to know and please click through the Cruise Critic ad to book. I am getting much better prices than on the Celebrity Uk booking site.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense. It's understandable that you'd target the advertising to a select market; no sense spending on promos in markets further away where there is less likelihood of a sale. However, if you're trying to sell leftover cruises at the last minute then people in another state may be equally attracted by the lower price which they found themselves yet would be not interested at the higher price. If they can organize their plans to meet the schedule why restrict the offer to locals when you're trying to fill up at the last minute? Just because it's the last minute doesn't mean that someone further away would be more willing to pay more than someone nearby, particular when their travel costs will be higher anyway.

Look at it this way, the closer people live to the port the easier it will be for them to get there. Making a last minute decision to go on that particular cruise easier for them because they will not have to try to schedule last minute flights. Their decision process is made easier because of this along with the lower price of the cruise. Yes, people in other states might be equally attracted, but it will still be easier for those living in the same state as the port to be able to drive rather than fly (unless the port is just across the other state's border). They are trying to make it easier for those living somewhat close by (say within 3 - 6 hrs of driving) to make up their minds quickly before the sailing date to fill those available cabins. Make sense now? :D

Hi Sandra - I know where you're coming from - especially when it comes to those Disney pin codes. I used to spend at least three weeks a year staying in WDW and buy AP's, yet they would send PIN codes to folk in the US who would maybe spend 4 or 5 days there a year. And you know how much the hotel and food costs are, so it really is disgusting.

Before the dollar pound rate changed, I discovered that Princess and Cunard would not allow folk from the UK to book in US dollars as it was cheaper for others. But they had ways around it.

Now, with the exchange rate changing, I've found it cheaper to book most lines through one of Cruise Critic's advertisers. I'm not allowed to give their name on this forum but do message me, if you want to know and please click through the Cruise Critic ad to book. I am getting much better prices than on the Celebrity Uk booking site.

Catherine, I would love to know more about it, but I can't figure out how to message you. :confused::confused:

Sandra,

Celebrity is not stuffy.You will be treated well. Service is great while being warm and friendly. Althought we have never sailed on an "upscale" line we find that of the 5 lines we have sailed (RCCL,NCL,Carnival,HAL&Celebrity)) we enjoy Celebrity the best.

FYI, We are both in our early 50's, still enjoy some adventure (zip-lining) and classic Rock and Roll music but can dance a Fox Trot, too.

Diane

Thank you.

"we" will be me (almost 30, single) and my mom (59). Neither of us is very adventurous, we just like visiting the islands and getting a taste of their history (in Nassau, Bahamas, we visited the slavery museum, found it very interesting).

I like rock music, but am way better at dancing tango and walse (5 years of ballroom dancing ;) )

It is sometimes hard to choose, because of the differene in culture: Europeans and Americans have different views on formal, etc.

That's wh I appreciate the opinions here so much.

Still have to talk my mom about it, but I'm almost sure we'll choose one of the Celebrity cruises.

Sandra, Celebrity would be a good choice for you. It is a little more upscale than some but not at all "snooty". And dressing up for dinner a night or two is fun. The men (the ones in tuxes) look so "James Bond'ish" and make me feel so glamourous. A cocktail type dress is a wonderful choice for formal night but it is also okay if you want to go a bit more fussy. I would love for you to be on our Mercuryu cruises in Nov/Dec. Would love to meet you and your mom. But I have a tip for you. If it fits your schedule you could book the Connstellation. The Captain lives in Belgium. He is super nice! A note to him, letting hm know you are aboard make reap a Captain's table invite. And re. the tango. Some cruises have "gentlemen" aboard who ask ladies to dance. Forget what they are called but they always seem very nice.

Thank you.

"we" will be me (almost 30, single) and my mom (59). Neither of us is very adventurous, we just like visiting the islands and getting a taste of their history (in Nassau, Bahamas, we visited the slavery museum, found it very interesting).

I like rock music, but am way better at dancing tango and walse (5 years of ballroom dancing ;) )

It is sometimes hard to choose, because of the differene in culture: Europeans and Americans have different views on formal, etc.

That's wh I appreciate the opinions here so much.

Still have to talk my mom about it, but I'm almost sure we'll choose one of the Celebrity cruises.

If it helps any, when I was 37 my sister (39) and I went with my Mom for her 60th B-day on the Millie 10-night Southern Caribbean cruise. We had a great time, and felt totally pampered. Formal nights weren't stuffy at all, and frankly it was nice to dress up for dinner without having baby food splattered all over me (I had twins who were just turning 2 when we went). The food was lovely, the islands were beautiful, and I felt really well taken care of. One of my favorite things to do was go to the Cova Cafe before dinner and have a glass of red wine, listen to the music and just relax and people watch. It was great! So much so that my Mom and I are now going on the Mercury this summer to Alaska, again without the kids. Ahhh, I'm sooo looking forward to it! Celebrity didn't feel stuffy to me, just classy.

Hi Sandra,

We just came back from our first cruise on X Century in January 2009 and it was wonderful. The food is good the crew members are very polite, friendly and professional. They'll address you "madam" like they always address me "sir".

When we came back to port from shore excursion, they offer us cold drink and cold towels at the port. That is refreshing and I don't think other major lines offer that service. (I might be wrong).

During the formal night, I wore suit and tie and my wife and daughters wore dress. My girls still fit to wear their prom dress which is a few years old. I didn't wear tux. My wife and daughters didn't wear fancy evening gown like Miss America wannabe.:p

Since you want the shorter cruise, Century fits your schedule. They sail to Western Caribbean for 4 or 5 days cruise out of Miami.

I got a resident discount for the cruise we are taking that leaves out of miami - we live quite far away in washington state. To me it was a completely unexpected "gift" - did not show up on the online pricing when I checked. The price for the cruise had dropped, when I emailed to get the decrease I was told I was eligible for the resident discount as well. I felt fortunate to get it, but can't imagine being mad if I had not. I was willing to buy the cruise at a higher price.

will this dress be fine for formal night:

P1030146.jpg

(I won't wear the Crocs, unless I once again have an accident right before leaving on vacation :) )

This is the amount of luggage the stateroom should fit:

IMG00078.jpg

Unless we shop after the cruise, then we'll only have the two hard sided suitcases, we take the bags empty, to fit everything we buy (the US is cheap, so... at least 1-2 days of shopping :) )

The dress is perfect and the suitcases should be fine as well. We have a set of semi-hard sided suitcases--the ones that open in half--and we just opened them up, put the smaller one inside the bigger one, and slid them under the bed. There are shelves above the closet racks where you could keep your tote bags.

Have fun!

Cathy

The shoes, well, when you wear an aircast/ ligacast, there's not much choice in shoes, it was either Crocs or go barefoot. I don't plan on having an accident once again, so I should be able to wear real shoes :D

We will probably go on the Century, I just have to decide on destination:
- key west - cozumel
- Grand Cayman - key west
- grand cayman - ocho rios

Which one is best? We won't be doing adventurous tours or so, we like sightseeing/ visiting things.

[quote name='sandravb79']oh, and btw, how do you send private messages on this board???[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Unfortunately, you can't. They don't have that feature, as of yet anyway. :)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi Sandra,

and excuses to everyone, but I'll go further in Dutch because that's a lot easier to me.

Nogmaals Hallo Sandra, wij hebben na 3 cruises met HAL, Celebrity en Princess besloten dat indien mogelijk we voortaan met Celebrity cruisen. Hoewel absoluut een hogere klasse in de cruisemaatschappijen, heerst er een erg relaxte sfeer aan boord. Verwacht geen feestboot, hoewel de mate van ambiance aan boord ook erg afhankelijk is van de tijd van het jaar. Tijdens schoolvakanties zijn er meer families, kinderen, jongelui aan boord en is de sfeer uiteraard anders dan tijdens laagseizoenen.

De service is uitstekend, 3 jaar geleden aan boord van de Constellation was het eten fantastisch, probeer zeker een specialiteitenrestaurant, deze zijn te vergelijken met de betere restaurants thuis. Als je graag tafelt, wel tijd vragen tussen de diverse gangen, want er wordt op amerikaanse snelheid uitgeserveerd :D

Voor wat betreft de formele avonden, de jurk van de foto is prima. De diverse outfits lopen uiteen van Dynasty-jurken tot een simpele rok of broek opgeleukt met een topje/bloesje voorzien van wat blingbling.

De hutten zijn prima van formaat. Wij kiezen voor een hut met balkon, maar deze zijn even groot als die zonder balkon. Voldoende opbergruimte, koffers kunnen onder het bed.

Wat de keuze ook wordt, alvast een fijne cruise gewenst!

O ja, inhakend op een andere vraag van je. Ik heb elders gelezen (heb er zelf geen ervaring mee) dat niet-amerikanen kunnen boeken via wereldwijdweb puntje cruise puntje com als je begrijpt wat ik bedoel ;-)

Okay, just explained that Sandra and her mom will have a great time if cruising with Celebrity. :)

Archived