Cave Swim???

perkypat23

Cave swimming is allowed from 9AM - 5PM at Prospero's Cave, Grotto Bay Resort, which is pretty close to St. George.

inside-one-of-the-caves.jpg

crystal-cave.jpg

Thanks for the post! I thought it might be at the Grotto but wasn't sure. We're gonna check it out in June when we're there!:D

I don't know anything about what NCL may be offering as posted by the OP.

Technically, the caves at Grotto Bay Resort are only for guests staying at the resort. That doesn't mean that others have not been there by acting like they "belong". ;)

Water is cold....brrrrr!

I don't know anything about what NCL may be offering as posted by the OP.

Technically, the caves at Grotto Bay Resort are only for guests staying at the resort. That doesn't mean that others have not been there by acting like they "belong". ;)

Water is cold....brrrrr!

I saw the tour on the Norwegian brochure we saw last week, but it's NOT on the web site...

Thanks for letting me know about this!!! We'll put on our best "Grotto" look!!!

Water is cold....brrrrr!

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this posting. The OP must be much braver then I to even consider cave swimming. With never being exposed to sunlight, I can't imagine the temperature of that water! Turns me blue just thinking about it! :D

CG

My DS and I did this through NCL in 2005. He was 10. If NCL still offers this excursion there was an age limit as my DD was too young at 7 to go. We had a blast. We went with a guide who took us exploring through a few caves and then we got to swim. I do not remember the water being too cold. I do remember the tropical storm, the thunder and rain outside. It was a good day to swim in a cave!

I just got an email back from the resort there. Unless you're with a ship-sponsored excursion or you are a registered guest, you may not swim in the caves. They cited something about liabilities reason.

But, IF NCL is offering this excursion, count me in!!! Looks awesome.

I just got an email back from the resort there. Unless you're with a ship-sponsored excursion or you are a registered guest, you may not swim in the caves. They cited something about liabilities reason.

What if we just want to see the caves?

Thanks for the heads up...If we do this, we'll do it through the ship...(Glad I asked...would be ultra-bummed to waste time trying to do this and get rejected....).

Appreciate the help from everyone :)

If you're asking about the caves at Grotto Bay, the same thing is true as for swimming there....for registered guests only. :)

The last time we stayed there, about 3 or 4 years ago they had no system for checking if you were a guest. Not that I would ever suggest going and pretending to be one. But seriously just putting it out there, I wouldn't want someone to get there and be turned away. I personally am freaked out by the whole cave swimming thing, it makes me shudder just thinking about it, and I really am not sure why.

The last time we stayed there, about 3 or 4 years ago they had no system for checking if you were a guest. Not that I would ever suggest going and pretending to be one. But seriously just putting it out there, I wouldn't want someone to get there and be turned away. I personally am freaked out by the whole cave swimming thing, it makes me shudder just thinking about it, and I really am not sure why.

I think that the problem is that you will be arriving by cab and dropped off at the area near the front entrance of the hotel. It might be obvious that you are not staying there. The hotel is set back a bit from the road if I remember correctly.

The day we were the staff greated the van and instructed them where to park. The driver gave the staff the tickets. Since we went with a ships tour, there was no problem for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know, my friend and I were there last Oct. Took the bus early and were at the Crystal/Fantasy Caves just before they opened and got the first tour of the day...before the buses got there. There were only 4 or 5 of us on the tour and it made it soooo much nicer (I had also gone years ago and got stuck with a large group). I would still recommend these caves to a first timer to Bermuda.

Then we walked to the Grotto Resort and just walked down past the pool and to the beach area, very nice and sat at a nice little bar and enjoyed to sun and view. Could have stayed but decided to go look at the caves. Looked around at one cave then went into the second cave and my friend took a wonderful swim...said it was a little chilly but it is gorgeous in there! The cave was beautiful and water very clear and clean. Next time I will bring a flashlight cause there are lights but can't go far in the caves cause the lights are just in the main section. As we were leaving the cave, saw a man with his 2 young sons (with snorkle equipment) coming into the cave.

Then we went into the main Resort building itself and looked around and went into the gift shop. We just kinda acted like we knew what we were doing and where we were going and there was really no on around. I had a plan, if we were stopped, to just tell then that I was researching for my next vacation with my DH.

Then, of course, we had to walk over to the Swizzle to drink, eat and check out their gift shop. It was an awesome way to spend some time in Bermuda.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a paste from RCCL excursion catalog...

Bermuda Cave Adventure - BKB9

Don a helmet and explore one the island's East End caves, followed by a swim in an underground lagoon. Sneakers or water shoes are required for all participants.

s.gif

s.gif

This tour will give you a hands-on experience in one the island's East End caves. Your guide will brief you on Bermuda's geology as well as scientific research being conducted in the caves. After donning a helmet, your guide will take on a cave exploration, followed by a refreshing swim in one of the most crystal-clear underground lagoons Bermuda has to offer.

Participants must be at least 10 years old and 85 pounds, and not more than 300 pounds. Participants must wear sneakers or water shoes to participate. This is an adventure tour where participants will be required to maneuver themselves through tight spaces and is not recommended for persons with walking difficulties as extensive walking is involved over rough terrain inside the cave which is also wet in areas. Wear a swimsuit under your clothes and bring a towel.

Please note that transportation to and from St. Georges is not included in the purchase price. This tour begins in St. Georges and participants must make their way on the Public Ferry to the meeting point at the St. George's Ferry Stop to join the tour. Allow at least 50 minutes by ferry from Dockyard to St. Georges. Because this tour starts and ends in St. Georges, participants will be responsible for making their own way back to the ship prior to sailing.

• 2 weeks later...
Cave swimming is allowed from 9AM - 5PM at Prospero's Cave, Grotto Bay Resort, which is pretty close to St. George.

inside-one-of-the-caves.jpg

crystal-cave.jpg

These are "not" pictures of Grotto Bay caves. Grotto Bay caves are much smaller. These look like Crystal Caves. I've swam in Grotto's and stayed at Grotto many many times. Guest only get to swim in the caves. And yes the water is FREEZING.

These are "not" pictures of Grotto Bay caves. Grotto Bay caves are much smaller. These look like Crystal Caves. I've swam in Grotto's and stayed at Grotto many many times. Guest only get to swim in the caves. And yes the water is FREEZING.

I have to disagree chief, I was there last year and the second picture is definitely at Grotto. I think the first one might be too but cannot say 100% I walked to the end of the ladder and my DF climbed in for her swim.

• 2 months later...

Just back from Bermuda. Did the cave swim - LOVED it!

Excursion was one of the best that we have done. Small group of ten people. Unrushed. Lots of information. Water was cold upon entering. Warm spots could be found and get this, it was warmer the deeper you went down! Sea water from rising tide is heavier than the fresh water seepage. Feet were warm the whole time! You want to do something unusual, this is it.

• 2 years later...
Can someone please share directions from the Dockyard to Grotto? We want to do some research on the resort too :D

You have either take the ferry from Dockyard to St. George and then the #1 or 3 bus to Grotto Bay, or the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton and then the #1 or 3 bus to Grotto Bay.

This is a long trip and you'll be wasting a good part of your day if you get turned away, which very well may happen. Personally, I wouldn't risk wasting my time hoping that I'd be able to sneak in. You opened an inactive thread from 2009...and I'll guarantee that some of the people who discussed this were on ships docked in St. Georges (because there still were ships that docked in St. Georges in 2009)...and they would only have needed to take a bus ride to get to Grotto Bay from there.

I'm kind of confused I'm going on yhe dawn in a couple of weeks and I can't seem to find this excursion anywhere. I'm not willing to just show up at the grotto cause uf we get turned away what a waste that would be. Anyone know where to find this tour??

Archived