Royal Caribbean Moves Ship From Alaska in 2010

Chenega

Local television KTUU is carrying a story tonight and on their webpage (http://www.ktuu.com) that the Royal Caribbean Serenade is being taken off their Alaska route in 2010. That still leaves two ships but the president of the Alaska Cruise Association estimated a $55 million loss in revenue and an expected 42,000 visitors. This year the Serenade has twenty trips scheduled within the state.

I'll be interested to see where they put this ship. Where's cheaper than Alaska?

Will cruise lines start offering shorter, going nowhere trips that basically take advantage of the experience of being on the ship, like the three day Mexico cruises from LA? Or short cruises from the East Coast to the Caribbean?

I took a 'ferry' from Helsinki to Stockholm, an overnight trip, that was the most insane thing I ever saw. I booked into a room shared with three strangers, and never saw them the entire time. They were all out dancing, drinking and gambling all night long, only using the room to change clothes and touch up makeup. I was passed out, emotionally and physically exhausted after a week in Russia. Best travel value, ever.

Apparently, these weekend cruises are very popular in Scandinavia, what with the high cost of alcohol and no gambling on land.

That's why I decided to go again - the price was fantastic this year and I believe at some point they will start pulling ships out if they can't be filled. Maybe more RT out of Seattle, Vancouver, or the west coast which have lower air fares than the open jaw itineraries.

Oversaturation and the high cost of Alaska cruises probably had something to do with it (not just the cruise price itself but airfare and excursions as well). Look at the fact that Princess has been having to run 2 for 1 sales to fill their Alaska ships. And I know our cruise on Serenade this year has had multiple price drops to try and fill the ship.

Princess was having a two for one sale on their Alaska cruises?

And yet my RCL Serenade cruise for July 09 actually went up in price $20pp two weeks ago only to have that rate drop back down by $20pp today.

I am not sure what RCL was thinking raising prices when Princess was offering that kind of a deal.

I think something else may be going on behind the scenes since Disney has decided to withdraw its application to cruise Alaska for 2010. It's apparently just not cost effective to offer cruises in Alaska anymore.

Glad I am going before the itinerary gets drop by more ships and prices rise.

Well, the air is a killer for some, especially if you're taking a family. Add that to the cost of the cruise and expensive shore excursions and it can become prohibitave for many. When we took our 1st Alaska cruise back in 1990 there were a handful of ships and now they are stumbling over each other.

Oversaturation and the high cost of Alaska cruises probably had something to do with it (not just the cruise price itself but airfare and excursions as well). Look at the fact that Princess has been having to run 2 for 1 sales to fill their Alaska ships. And I know our cruise on Serenade this year has had multiple price drops to try and fill the ship.

Our Carnival Spirit cruise has dropped over a thousand for us since we first booked.We are in a 9A for the price of a 7A. I hated to make final payment as it will probably drop some more.:rolleyes: Oh well,we're happy.This will be the year to go for sure!

I keep hearing about all of these deals to Alaska and price drops - am I the only unlucky one? We booked NCL on the Pearl maybe 8 months ago and there havn't been any price drops! (Though there was one sale were we did get a little on board credit added - but the cruise fare didn't drop) And I check daily! :)

quote=IceWarrior I keep hearing about all of these deals to Alaska and price drops - am I the only unlucky one? We booked NCL on the Pearl maybe 8 months ago and there havn't been any price drops! (Though there was one sale were we did get a little on board credit added - but the cruise fare didn't drop) And I check daily! :)

Perhaps you should switch cruises. I know I would if I could get a better deal with another line.

Archived